So what's the story with the Golen UMax?

Farma

Nov 26, 2012
Farmington, Maine
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It was discontinued awhile ago a little while after he made that video.
Plenty still have them and use them and they come up for sale used all the time.
Seems to be a favorite for jewelry hunters and for those that like more than one tone.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am hunting with mine next Monday afternoon. I really like it and find more places to use it than the Deus. Mine has the "new" tones and I never quite get used to that and think I would prefer the "old" tones. Tones aside, it is easy to dial in the notch for modern parks and start digging. Can't say how it works with the stock 8x9 coil as I immediately installed the CleanSweep when I got it. The 8x9 worked great with the Cortes so I am sure the Golden wouldn't let me down if I used it. I just prefer the 3x18 and covering a lot of ground, popping out as many signals as I can increasing my odds of finding jewelry. I usually bring a nickle, zincoln, a dime and a couple pulltabs to set the tone breaks, then dig the 2 high tones. Different techniques for hearing the junk with the 3x18 DD so would need to experiment with stock coil. Enough talk. I just talked myself into going detecting while replying to this post!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those that have and use them seem to be a strong following. Tesoro dropped them from production several years ago so I guess the sales weren't up to snuff, apparently.
luvsdux

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Those that have and use them seem to be a strong following. Tesoro dropped them from production several years ago so I guess the sales weren't up to snuff, apparently.
luvsdux

I have heard rumors about this one, darned if I know they are truly, though.
One was there is some kind of important part that they needed to stock to repair these things that they didn't make and they ran out.
Try as they might they couldn't get anyone to manufacture this for them...or up to their specifications, anyway.

Another was they had all kinds of printed or stored data somewhere on exactly how to program this one and somewhere along the way it all got lost or deleted.

Both scenarios sound pretty weird, these kind of things don't usually happen in this day and age so just rumors I read on some forums somewhere over the years.

It could well be they just weren't selling enough of them to keep them in the lineup.
Either way new ones are history but used ones are still available.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The part supply issue was for the Tiger Shark and the Sand Shark. It was the cable connector. That's why they changed to a version with a fixed coil.
The problem with the Golden was that the firmware used was accidental deleted and they couldn't replicate it.

Dan

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The part supply issue was for the Tiger Shark and the Sand Shark. It was the cable connector. That's why they changed to a version with a fixed coil.
The problem with the Golden was that the firmware used was accidental deleted and they couldn't replicate it.

Dan

Agreed

But they couldn't recover the code from an existing Golden?

Hogwash.....

:occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello steve1357,

When you program "burn a chip" there is a setting (in a nut shell destroys the capability of the chip-to-computer communication) that prevents the source code to be uploaded from the "chip" to the computer. This is used for security (proprietary code) reasons. In my robotics applications, I "burn the chips" for security and so as not to allow changes.

Regards,

Doc

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello steve1357,

When you program "burn a chip" there is a setting (in a nut shell destroys the capability of the chip-to-computer communication) that prevents the source code to be uploaded from the "chip" to the computer. This is used for security (proprietary code) reasons. In my robotics applications, I "burn the chips" for security and so as not to allow changes.

Regards,

Doc

Thanks

Why do you think they stopped production?

I think they quickly saw the warranty numbers were killing them.....

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks

Why do you think they stopped production?

I think they quickly saw the warranty numbers were killing them.....

That's the first hint I have heard that the Golden had more warranty issues than other machines Tesoro produces.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the first hint I have heard that the Golden had more warranty issues than other machines Tesoro produces.

Just a WAG.....only thing that fits what I see....

Four tones, swapping coils, constantly having to get the factory to retune the tone break points?

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if they truly lost the program, they can't really promise a warranty on new ones I suppose. That seems like it could become a warranty problem for existing ones. I guess they are trying to cut their losses. It's a shame, I wish they would bring it back.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if they truly lost the program, they can't really promise a warranty on new ones I suppose. That seems like it could become a warranty problem for existing ones. I guess they are trying to cut their losses. It's a shame, I wish they would bring it back.

All I want is a simple hi low tone machine with a knob to adjust where the hi low change occurs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread