tesoro sand shark vs. tiger shark

oregonoutback

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Been looking and pricing some underwater metal detectors. I go to lake Shasta and around the Tahoe area every year and love going to the beach when I visit family down in California. I am thinking about purchasing an underwater detector so when I go on my trips I can look for some lost items. I saw these 2 units and was interested in knowing what you think of them...pros and cons. I no longer live in florida and don't see a need to get high end model. I like the price point on the Tesoro models. Any input? It will mainly be in the lakes and maybe ocean when I go visit and make a dive or two on the Sonoma coast.
Thank you.

Mike

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert on either machine. I just recently purchased a Tiger Shark myself but have only used it on land so far. So far I like it, but it will be warmer weather before I get in the water. Finds things on land really well though! What I can tell you is this. The Sand Shark is a PI machine and suited for salt water environment. You can use a PI machine in fresh water but you will have no discrimination. The Tiger Shark is a VLF discrimination machine. Not really good for salt water environment. But really good for fresh water. Hope maybe this helps a bit.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sand Shark is a Pulse Induction, Saltwater machine.

Tiger Shark is a single-frequency VLF, Freshwater machine - period. Yes, it has a saltwater setting, but like EVERY single-frequency VLF, the setting just lowers your gain, and your depth, to try and deal with the salt and other minerals.

Pulse Induction does NOT discriminate. It is deeper, but NOT as sensitive to small gold and silver targets (i.e. earring studs, chains) as the VLF.

Apples and Oranges - Can't compare the two machines.:skullflag:

OP
OP
O

oregonoutback

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like I am going to have to figure out which I plan on using more. Was trying to get by with a multi-purpose model but didn't realize there was that much difference in underwater detectors since I'm not familiar with them. No wonder a lot of you guys have several of them! :) Thank you guys.

Mike

SWFLA

Feb 12, 2008
Cape Coral FL
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,
Whites Duel Field pi
I have owned a Tiger Shark for years and also a PI machine. The Tiger Shark works very good for me in S. Florida, I use it on the beach and in the water, and on land. I only bought a PI because some of the places I hunt are hit hard and wanted to see what others were missing (besides iron), I love my Duel Field but you better be ready to Dig some trash. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread