Putting Tesoro 5'' x 10'' Elliptical coil on my vaquero?

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe thinking about putting the Tesoro 5'' x 10'' Elliptical coil on my vaquero,
Seems like it's a good coil, but not sure.
I have not seen anyone with this combo. Does it only work correctly on the lobo?

5x10-elliptical-coil.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a DD coil. It has no advantage on the stock coil. :skullflag:

OP
OP
L

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry that cleared that idea from my Head.
The only coil I have for the vaquero is the 10x12 , so looking for a smaller coil?

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 8x9 is a real good coil. I have the 8x11, 8x9, and the 5.75 concentric. I use the 8x9 or the 5.75 the most. Did not even use the 8x11 once this past season. Don't think I have found anything with it that the 8x9 would not have hit on and it does discriminate better. I'm just a recreational "detectorist" though and that's what I've found out with actual detecting. Just not what I've read...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only coil I have for the vaquero is the 10x12 , so looking for a smaller coil?

Unlike jld66, I really like the 11" x 8" widescan. It is lighter and more balanced than the 12" x 10", and probably within a 1/2" in comparable depth.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sell the 12x10, buy a 11x8 RSD and 5.75 concentric...imho

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sell the heavy 10 x 12 and get the 9 x 8 and 5.75 concentric search coils.

tabman

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the 9x8 on the Vaquero the most. I also have the 10x12 but the 9x8 is lighter, goes deep enough for me and is easier to discriminate(for coin shooting).
The Vaquero is the last Tesoro i bought and i have now about 20 hours on it. I will give my toughts about it here in a review later when i have more hours on it.

Last edited:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smaller.... get the 5.75 concentric. Works well!

OP
OP
L

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok
Well that's confusing
One coil at a time please!

But which one shall I buy?
Yes I will sell the big coil.
But I only really want one good coil, that's all I need.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A DD is HOT from TIP to TIP so not having to over lap as much as the CONE shape isn't that a advantage?
And isn't elliptical coils all DD so they are better in trash?

DD coils are not as deep as concentric coils, and no, DD coils are not better in trash. Take a dime and run it around the edge of your concentric coil, and that will clear up your "hot at both ends" theory. DD Coils are better in High Mineral soils and red or blue clay. They are easier to use in rocks, brush, and around cactus plants in goldfields. Concentric coils are always the first choice in moderate to mild soils.

Just get the stock 9" x 8" coil, and keep the big one! :occasion14:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what does the concentric get for depth on the end of the coil? It isn't a theory one is cone shaped the other bar shaped.
And yes a DD eliptical or bar coil is better in trash it puts less targets under the coil. But concentric pin points better as far as I have seen. After all these years hunting DD still puts some of the targets to the side of the hole but now that we have pin pointers it makes it a little easier.
I always hoped Tesero would of put some more work into the Clean Sweep coil and got some more depth out of that one.

A picture posted from the late Sandman RIP.

Attachments

• Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Concentric Coils.jpg
    Concentric Coils.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both coils have advantages and disadvantages GreenMeanie - with both understand that. We also both know those illustrations do not represent the true capabilities of either type. Let's agree to disagree. :skullflag:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A DD is HOT from TIP to TIP so not having to over lap as much as the CONE shape isn't that a advantage?
And isn't elliptical coils all DD so they are better in trash?

You will find the DD does not discriminate very well on the Vaquero. Most items blow right through the discrimination setting. They are better in mineralized ground. Recommend the 5.75 concentric for tight areas.

OP
OP
L

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if the 8x10 works the same as the other DD coils then I would not be far wrong in getting it and trying something different.
The shape lends itself to woods and searching around post's and benches.

Could be a start of something good 😀

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread