Metal Detecting

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The Silver Micro served me well and I used it the 4", 8", 12" concentric coils and 3x18" DD coil. No complaints. But a Vaq with stock 9x8" will take your capabilities to the next level. Never used a Vaq other that try a friends, but super sensitive and deep. Others will chime in on the Vaq. That being said, the Silver with 12x10 could hit a dime extremely deep and pinpointing was on. It did pair best with 3x18 in my area though.

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi
I would love to use the cleansweep coil's on my vaquero but just cannot get one.
So in my eyes the silver wins, been thinking about selling the vaquero because of that.

But you just cannot beat the compadre!!
How about a compadre mod fitting a cleansweep?

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi
I would love to use the cleansweep coil's on my vaquero but just cannot get one.
So in my eyes the silver wins, been thinking about selling the vaquero because of that.

But you just cannot beat the compadre!!
How about a compadre mod fitting a cleansweep?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send the Silver into Tesoro and have them tune an 11" x 8" widescan to your machine. You WILL thank me! :skullflag:

Attachments

• t17.jpg
    t17.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 148
  • t18.jpg
    t18.jpg
    975.1 KB · Views: 124

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 11x8 made a noticeable difference on my Silver.

But the Vaquero will always be deeper with it's stock coil no matter how much money you throw at the Silver.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Send the Silver into Tesoro and have them tune an 11" x 8" widescan to your machine. You WILL thank me! :skullflag:

I had a bad experience with that line of thinking and it's actually the reason I sold the Silver. I was getting 8" on a quarter and 6" plus on a dime with the Silver equipped with the 3x18. Impossible? Those who saw it in person believe and basically everyone online thought I was exaggerating. I kept hearing others say they were only getting 4" with CleanSweep and I just couldn't believe it. Well my Cleansweep coil developed a crack from overuse so I sent it in for warranty replacement. Always looking for that extra oomph and being that I only used the Silver with the 3x18, I sent the Silver in also to be tuned to the specific coil. When I got it back I could only get 4" on a dime. I have tried multiple CleanSweeps on multiple MicroMax machines, even the Cortes, and never duplicated the capabilities I had with the Silver before it got tuned to the coil. If you find that magic combo, just leave well enough alone. I sure miss it.:unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get yourself a Vaquero with the 8x9 coil. Good machine, has all the stuff you will ever need on it, and you won't need to upgrade any further. Example, putting a $150.00 coil on a $250.00 detector does not turn it into a higher end machine, it's still only a couple hundred dollar detector. I've seen a few try it and they always have ended up spending as much, or more, as if they would have just bought the higher end machine to begin with. It's like tripping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say just get the vaquero. If it's already in your mind, in my experience, even if you super up the silver there will still be that voice saying to get the vaquero for GB and the H.O.T. circuitry.
I'd leave the silver as what it is, a great detector for mild soil and for ease of use. As a plus it's a great detector for new people that want to try the hobby with you. :-)

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong. I don't personally own a silver but I do own both compadres. I still use both of them. And I'm sure you will too.
The reasoning (or so I tell myself) for having all the machines I have is because each can do things a bit different. Even my modded cibola and vaquero have different disc circuits, therefore different machines. I originally got the cibola to mod it because I got a great price on it and even with the cost of the mod (but not the unforseen complete fright of doing the mod) I thought I would come out with a cheaper "vaquero. It does all the same depth as my vaquero will and has some positives and some negatives in comparison, but all tesoros do.
What I mean to say is, although the silver is most likely a great machine, you won't get what you can get out of the vaquero out of it no matter what you do. But in turn it also has positives like ease of use and user friendliness.
Heck, that's why I grab my compadre so much. In my usually mild ground and it's affinity for small gold, it's a great machine. It has it's uses.
I wouldn't take my compadre out to go relic hunting. I'm sure it would do well with it's ed180, but my vaquero is better suited for the deeper relics.
If coin and jewelry hunting, I go with either outlaw or bandido II micromax because of their ed120 and naturally blocking iron to an extent. Your silver would do well here too because it has the ed120 and also runs at the 10khz the bandido II micromax and outlaw do.
You can use any machine to do any type of hunting. But some are just better suited for it.

One that I did find and haven't seen again for sale was my cutlass micromax. It runs at the 12khz the compadre does, but also has a click down all metal on disc knob like vaquero and sensitivity knob. Before the Mojave it was my best bet instead of modding a compadre. Within a year of production they switched to the cutlass II umax which is the father of your silver. Ran at 10khz and had sensitivity control.

Sorry for the blabbing. Hope it made sense.

Last edited:

latham

Jan 8, 2018
milford kansas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, tesoro silver umax, tesoro outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a 12X10 concentric and tested it out on my silver umax. definitely got more depth but the discrimination suffered quite dramatically. So I chose to use the 12X10 on my outlaw instead since its a manual GB machine and the silver is not. I like the results on the outlaw. I plan to see if the old 8" coil from the outlaw will do anything different on my silver in terms of improvement as it seems to be a "beefier" coil than the 8" stock coil on the silver.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a 12X10 concentric and tested it out on my silver umax. definitely got more depth but the discrimination suffered quite dramatically. So I chose to use the 12X10 on my outlaw instead since its a manual GB machine and the silver is not. I like the results on the outlaw. I plan to see if the old 8" coil from the outlaw will do anything different on my silver in terms of improvement as it seems to be a "beefier" coil than the 8" stock coil on the silver.

Same coil with the Outlaw - it’s just white plastic instead of brown.
I would stick with either the stock 8” or the smaller 5.75 on the Silver. That said, I don’t have a Silver, but rather, it’s daddy - the Cutlass II MicroMax (same detector with older face and decals, plus higher beep tone). I keep the 8” donut on mine. It’s a loaner detector, for when a friend or relative comes along.

If you’re wanting depth - your Outlaw will serve you better. With the adjustable GB, it can tune the detector to handle the big 10x12 coil.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Only way it could be beefier is if it has a coil cover making it heavier and the Silver does not.

latham

Jan 8, 2018
milford kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed on the 10X12 coil. The 10X12 works nicely on the outlaw. I did test the 8" outlaw coil on the silver and did not like the results so there must be a difference between the 8" coil of the silver and the outlaw. With the 8" coil from the outlaw plugged into the silver, the discrimination is thrown off a bit and nickels dont even sound off at all until about the foil range. Without the manual ground balance, it seems the silver is best left with the stock brown donut coil.

Last edited:

latham

Jan 8, 2018
milford kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not true. there is a difference. The outlaw 8" coil I have has no cover but its a much thicker coil than the brown donut on the silver. If you put the outlaw 8" on the silver, the discrimination is thrown off.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I have a compadre with the small coil for trashy areas and a silver umax for every thing else. I'm thinking of upgrading. My question is should I get a new coil for the silver umax or try to get a vaquero? I mainly coin and relic hunt around San Antonio tx not much in the way of mineralized soil.

i would try to get the "new" 7 " thin concentric coil to use on the silver.
it originally was on the "mojave" but i believe you can still buy it as a separate coil
i have the mojave,and that coil is really "outrageous" in the trash.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not true. there is a difference. The outlaw 8" coil I have has no cover but its a much thicker coil than the brown donut on the silver. If you put the outlaw 8" on the silver, the discrimination is thrown off.

Must be because of the retune button on Outlaw which narrows down the target area. That retune button has always confused me and is probably why I have never owned a Outlaw.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be because of the retune button on Outlaw which narrows down the target area. That retune button has always confused me and is probably why I have never owned a Outlaw.

Its the only reason I hate my Outlaw, I just know sometimes it "detunes" itself and I'm walking along with my Jetco that might go 3" deep....lol

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My outlaw 8" white coil is identical in every way to my brown donuts except the color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions