As the forum is a little slow now... let’s talk about batteries

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use ones that fit.
Rayovac pro, Duracell copper tops and Duracell pro-cell seem to be the only ones I've found that are the same "smaller" size as the panasonics that are shipped with tesoros.
I've used others that are a bit taller (wish they were as standardized as other size batteries) but on my 8" compadre which was my first Tesoro now has bent terminals from the larger batteries and if I do use a Duracell or rayovac I have to use a folded paper "shim" on the bottom of the battery or it doesn't make a connection.
So I'm not sure about lasting or not but those are the three I use for that reason alone.
Sorry I couldn't exactly answer your question but thought I'd chime in on what I found as a "danger" of using too tall 9v batteries.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look around for a brand name with 5 years of shelf life left and will grab 6 or 8 of them for the season. I'm not too fussy over batteries. Duracell, Energizer, are all decent and they all last a good while in a vaquero anyhow and I trash them when down to 3 beeps. With only 6 or, if lucky 7 months of detecting weather, i'm not concern if one particular brand lasts a few minutes or a hour longer than the next brand. As far as cost goes, under $20 for batteries for the season is cheaper than a fishing license. I say for people who are interested in detecting and ask about battery costs, probably can't afford to get into the hobby then anyhow...

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to change course of thread but I'd like to hear success with rechargeable batts.

With technology changing weekly it seems.....what's the new hot rechargeable that seems to work well?

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Duracell 1st and Panasonic 2nd as they that's what came with my Tesoro's and there great for the price..if I can't find a reasonable price on Duracell larger bulk size then I am off to Dollarama for the Panasonics.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't seem to find Panasonic 9v anywhere besides really expensive.

And I have great luck with my EBL 9v liIon rechargeable batteries, but the right is the problem.
Now I just use them in my smoke detectors

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those eveready gold alkalines sold at dollar general tested as just as good as duracell on amp hours, they fit, and they are less than half price i think. go with those, or else re-chargeable.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a clue as to whether to use these in a metal detector but I buy, from HOME DEPOT, 2 year 9V batteries for my Smoke and gas home detectors. Not sure of the MFG.
Marvin

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those eveready gold alkalines sold at dollar general tested as just as good as duracell on amp hours, they fit, and they are less than half price i think. go with those, or else re-chargeable.

Are those the same total height from terminal to bottom as Duracell?
I've found some are way taller, some are a little taller and only a few are the same size as the Duracell's and panasonics

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't really say, haven't used a duracell for quite a while.. But the eveready golds do fit nicely. I like those.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used two different rechargeable 9Vs, Maximal Powers and EBLs. I have had very good luck with both brands. The Maximals are rated at 550ah and the EBLs at 600. I hunt almost every day for at least 2 hours and they last for weeks between charges. I have used them in various Tesoro detectors including the Compadre, a Teknetics Omega 8000, a regular Garrett PP as well as the Carrot, and the White's TRX with no problems at all. I have never ran a timer to tell how long they last but it seems at least equal to regular alkalines. The Maximals are over 4 years old and still hold as good a charge as they did when new. One thing, when the run out of power, they just quit immediately. I have not noticed a drop in depth when they do but I always have a spare in my bag because i just let them run out and do not charge after every use or once a week. I have had Duracell batteries including AAs and AAAs leak before but never a rechargeable including when I accidentally left two in a Fisher F2 over the winter until late summer. They were dead but did not leak. Overall I have very good luck with them and I am sure it has saved me many dollars over the hundreds of hours that I have detected. Just my opinion.

GMO79

Jan 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use the EBL LION 600Mah 9V batteries. I bought them on Amazon. 4 bay Charger and 4 pack of batteries. $24.00. They get good reviews from what I saw. Using them has been uneventful. Which is good. They charge and they power my Mojave with no issues. I will say that it takes a while for them to reach full charge. That is probably also a good thing. They fit in the compartment easily. For my Deleon, I use Panasonic Eneloops. Good batteries also. I already had the Eneloops from my photography equipment.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eneloops are definitely #1 for AA and AAA as far as rechargeables.
I have been running tests all year and I still have one last one to run.
I have a set of 4 white regular eneloops that we're charged in January of 2017. I was to do a discharge test with them to see how many mAh they still have.
I did the test for 3,6, and 9 months already. They lose more in 3 months than they do in from 3-6 and 3-9 months if that makes sense.
After 3 months they still had 1700 (-200ish from full). 6 months they we're at 1650. 9 months they we're at 1600. All in all very respectable.
The higher capacity the cells are the faster they lose their charge while sitting and the less recharges they can handle in their lifetime.

IMG_20170602_034535.jpg

I have tested many brands and capacities of AA cells. Eneloop wins all around. The black pro eneloops do hold more of a charge and if they aren't going to sit are great too. But for all around performance and charge holding, the white (or red, orange, blue, green special edition) 1900 mAh cells are the greatest for charge held while sitting and number of charges in their life (2100 but can vary with input of the charger used and some other stuff. Slower charge equals longer life)
I wish they made a 9v :-(

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duracell or Energizers. I don't use off brand batteries.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My personal opinion Energizers I have not used them in my detectors but other devices they don't last long at all for me while the Duracells last longer, maybe I had run into some bad luck in buying them or they have slowly lost there power. Not sure if anyone else can share the same things.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tested Imedions Stoof2010 as they are similar to Eneloops? I use the Imedions and they are made by Powerex.

Last edited:

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that eneloop AAAs are the best as far as I know. When I had a Pentax KD1000 digital camera, they supplied 4 alkaline batteries to get started with but the owner's manual stated that they would not support everything in the menu of the camera. For that to work, I was required to purchase rechargeable AAAs. Seems weird with rechargeables having less voltage but that is the way it is.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tested Imedions Stoof2010 as they are similar to Eneloops? I use the Imedions and they are made by Powerex.

No those I haven't. They are Maha brand.
Once I broke 120 AA cells, I figured it was time to stop lol.
But in all I've tested one thing holds true as a whole and definitely within a brand too.... The larger the capacity, the more they self discharge when sitting.
So for capacity right away, high capacity is great. They are also great if you (like me for metal detecting) use a set then charge when the hunt is over so they are always full just in case, then the higher capacity can help. But also in my case, having so many cells, the "normal" size like the regular eneloops are also great because they hold their charge while sitting. Otherwise I'd be doing nothing but charging batteries all day lol

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been using Duracell. Amazon sells their own brand of 9v batteries at a good price, but I read some reviews where people were saying they were a little longer than standard 9v’s so I didn’t buy them. I don’t want to force them in and damage something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread