Tone Strength

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 Pro Pack ,Tesoro DeLeon, Outlaw, Compadre,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Brothers and Sisters; Have a question that I need help with. Am running an Outlaw and a Deleon. I keep reading about "quiet" or "soft" signals (the ones that might be old stuff) from users of Tesoro units. It seems that all of my signals from both machines have the same audio level regardless of depth. I even once dug a 3 inch nail at a measured depth of 9 inches using the Outlaw with no disc. The signal was just as strong as if it had been at 3 inches. What am I doing wrong? Am using Killer Bee phones with both units. :icon_scratch: Thanx in advance. Guardez.

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have the threshold set right?

I only fairly lately got it through my head that those softer but correct tones are potentially the older quality finds. It is easy to get into the bad habit of primarily listening for the crisp and round sounds like a 2" dime or penny. I did fairly well with jewelry and a few old coins that way but learning to listen for the deeper tones opens a new world.

OP
OP
guardez

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually keep the threshold between 7 and 9.

OP
OP
guardez

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx for the replies. I do keep a slight hum in the phones, a holdover from my Red Baron days. Have also tried with, and without my hearing aids. Maybe a brain transplant?? :laughing7: Tnx again. Steve Guardez

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I usually keep the threshold between 7 and 9.

If that thing is anything like my Vaq was you are into supertuning at this level...definitely from 8 on up.
Throttle back to below 7 a bit and see if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
guardez

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will do. TNX SG.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 3" rusty nail will still have a fairly strong audio response even at 9", compared to a coin sized, non-ferrous target at that same 9". Listen for the fainter tone targets that have a short 'blip' response, those tend to be the deeper and smaller (coin sized) targets. At least that was the case with my Vaquero.

OP
OP
guardez

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks atomicscott!! SG.

Top Member Reactions