Dishing out a clad dime and still hitting on a silver dime...

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Discriminating out a clad dime and still hitting on a silver dime...

Not trying to pick a fight but... just read that the new multi-frequency detector to “obsolete all single frequency VLF detectors” cannot distinguish between a clad dime and a silver dime?!?!:dontknow:

... but the Outlaw can! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
... meant to say “discing” but auto correct changed the spelling...

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It can find them check through the equinox posts on multiple forums

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was not clear in what I was trying to say... the posts I read indicated that it will find them, but that it does not distinguish clad dimes from silver dimes... they read and sound the same in the TID.

Perhaps this person was still too new to the machine however, and was not opporating it or setting it up properly.

Regardless, it is a nice feature of the Outlaw to be able to disc out a clad dime and copper penny but still hit on silver dimes (clad quarters don’t disc out... but why would you want to do that any ways).

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a YouTube video by Metal detecting NWGA on YouTube showing the VDI on clad and silver coins. The silver was usually 1 higher than the clad. This was an airtest only my gut is telling me there virtually the same in the ground. There is also a video of him finding a silver quarter and the VDI is really locked in.

Personally I'm digging all dimes, but in my experience I can't speak for the outlaw but I don't believe the Vaquero can disc out clad dimes.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one thing I love about the outlaw and it's older Uncle the bandito II Micromax, ITS ABILITY TO DISK OUT DIMES AND STILL GET QUARTERS AND SILVER OR EVEN FURTHER TO DISK OUT DIMES AND COPPER PENNIES AND STILL PICK UP SILVER.
It's very impressive that it has the ability to do this and I love my outlaw

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one thing I love about the outlaw and it's older Uncle the bandito II Micromax, ITS ABILITY TO DISK OUT DIMES AND STILL GET QUARTERS AND SILVER OR EVEN FURTHER TO DISK OUT DIMES AND COPPER PENNIES AND STILL PICK UP SILVER.
It's very impressive that it has the ability to do this and I love my outlaw

... and for half the price with a lifetime warranty to boot! I wish I didn’t need to sell mine a few years back, but I will be picking up another... going to try the Vaquero first however. I know the Vaq does not have this same discriminator as the Outlaw, but from what I read and see, it goes deeper and does not lose depth at high disc settings.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't believe the Vaquero can disc out clad dimes.

The disc knob on my Vaq can go considerably above the "max" mark. (I know the knob can be adjusted on the shaft, but it points at "all metal" in all metal.) When turned all the way to the high stop, it discs out everything except big coins (e.g. a 40% Kennedy half) and rusty bottle caps. Damn rusty bottle caps...

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love the Outlaw in playground areas...loves small jewelry both real and bling! :icon_thumleft:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my MXT a clad dime reads 79 VDI while the silver is 81-83 VDI, I have dug a silver barber that reads 77 even out of the ground, I believe some of the older ones aren't always exactly 90%. HH

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The disc knob on my Vaq can go considerably above the "max" mark. (I know the knob can be adjusted on the shaft, but it points at "all metal" in all metal.) When turned all the way to the high stop, it discs out everything except big coins (e.g. a 40% Kennedy half) and rusty bottle caps. Damn rusty bottle caps...

Question... you said that rusty bottle caps don’t disc out at the max setting. Is that with a concentric coil, widescan coil, or both?

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question... you said that rusty bottle caps don’t disc out at the max setting. Is that with a concentric coil, widescan coil, or both?

8x11 DD. It's the only coil I have. I started a thread about rusty bottle caps, and people said all DDs have trouble ignoring them completely. A tip that seems to be working for me is that if you switch to all metal mode and the target screams outside the coil it's a bottle cap. If it only beeps in the center it's a legit signal.

Last edited:

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just tested whether I can disc out a clad dime and still hit a silver dime. I can, with disc past max, around the a in the word discriminate. Air test depth does suffer with disc this high. And it turns out I can hit a silver dime all the way to the high stop, though with even more loss of depth. For comparison, setting the knob halfway between max and the mark below max doesn't seem to reduce depth much at all. Since the max mark clearly isn't max, perhaps it's marked max because that's where depth loss kicks in. You can disc out zinc without losing depth, but not copper.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Curious if this would work on the old silvers too. I know some spanish silvers will come in low along with some trimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread