Tesoro definitely tweeted something...

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoro definitely tweeked something...

Way too cold to detect here in eastern Ohio, so I thought I’d play around a bit with my Golden Micromax with air testing and a little ground balance checking.

Last fall I sent my Golden in to have it calibrated with a new brown doughnut coil I purchased from Rusty Henry. I have been using the 7 inch widescan, which was also factory set to the machine a while back... by far my favorite coil on this machine because it runs quieter, you can set the sensitivity very high, and it gives very clear distinct tones (better than the 9x8 and 8” concentric in IMHO).

Anyways, the depth has not been great with the 7” coil... air testing 6-7” inch max on quarters. So I thought I would try the brown doughnut coil (as I really, really dislike the 9x8), and told Rusty about the depth issues.

Well, I definitely see improved air testing depth with the 8”... I am hitting a quarter at 10”!

My surprise came today, when for the heck of it, I thought I put the 7” widescan back on and test it, as I had not tried this coil since the machine came back last fall...

First I stepped out side just to see what the ground balance was like, cuz I know they adjusted it for the 8” and wanted see how bad off the widescan would be. Well, it’s not off at all, the GB is perfect, with maybe just a tinge of positive (the 8” doughnut tests a little negative, so I have a setting that lets me use both coils without fiddling around with the GB pot inside).

After realizing I had a very good GB setting for the 7” DD, decided to go inside (where it’s warm) and do some air testing... to my astonishment there was about a 1 1/2 to 2” increase in depth. I am air testing a clad dime at 7”with a solid high tone, quarters are hitting at 8”, and a silver half dollar is catching a weak signal at 10”! I know this is hard to believe with the 7” DD coil, but there it is.

So I know the results will be different out in the ground... but I am encouraged that I will see some improved depth this spring and excited that I have a two coil set up.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll throw out some experience and observation of mine for you....

I have the Vaquero and Cibola. With the Vaquero you have the manual ground balance control and as you've seen, turning it a quarter or half turn negative after you ground balance it will add a few inches of depth.

With the Cibola, the ground balance is adjusted internally. The ground balance changes across different sized coils. Since I like using the Cibola (pretty color!), I got out all my 4 pin coils and tested them to see which way the ground balance changed.

If the ground balance gets positive, it really kills your depth.

To make a longer story shorter, if you set ground balance using your largest coil, the smaller coils will be slightly negative. So I have my Cibola set for a hair negative with the 12x10. This results in the 11x8 being slightly negative and the 5 3/4 a little more negative ground balance. The difference in ground balance isn't very much, and it's not unstable. That's why you should send in your detector to get tuned with the biggest coil you anticipate using or the coil you'll never take off. If it's tuned to a small coil, if you put a larger coil on it, that will make it positive more than likely and depth will suffer.

What I'm trying to say, if you or Tesoro tuned your detector for the 8" coil, then you put the 7" coil on, it should be deeper than if you tuned the detector to the 7" coil to start with.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll throw out some experience and observation of mine for you....

I have the Vaquero and Cibola. With the Vaquero you have the manual ground balance control and as you've seen, turning it a quarter or half turn negative after you ground balance it will add a few inches of depth.

With the Cibola, the ground balance is adjusted internally. The ground balance changes across different sized coils. Since I like using the Cibola (pretty color!), I got out all my 4 pin coils and tested them to see which way the ground balance changed.

If the ground balance gets positive, it really kills your depth.

To make a longer story shorter, if you set ground balance using your largest coil, the smaller coils will be slightly negative. So I have my Cibola set for a hair negative with the 12x10. This results in the 11x8 being slightly negative and the 5 3/4 a little more negative ground balance. The difference in ground balance isn't very much, and it's not unstable. That's why you should send in your detector to get tuned with the biggest coil you anticipate using or the coil you'll never take off. If it's tuned to a small coil, if you put a larger coil on it, that will make it positive more than likely and depth will suffer.

What I'm trying to say, if you or Tesoro tuned your detector for the 8" coil, then you put the 7" coil on, it should be deeper than if you tuned the detector to the 7" coil to start with.

Clear as mud?

Yup. Thanks for the insight. The proof will be in the digging.

Whimpster

Jan 30, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Teknetics G2
E-Trac
Tesoro,Bandido II uMax,Silver uMax,Silver Sabre uMax
Tesoro,Eldorado small plastic box.
Compadre 8" coil ,Compadre 5.75"coil.
Tesoro Golden uMax new and old tone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hiho...I've been testing a little with my Golden old and new tones....I using the brown 8" donut coil on my old tone golden and the 8x9 original coil on the new tone.
I'm getting 8" solid with the old tone... air test on a dime with sensitivity maxed..the tone is weak at 8.5".
A nickel is a solid 9" and weak at 9.5"....one cent is 9" solid....quarter 9" solid....Morgan silver dollar 10" solid...
The new tone golden...is an inch deeper on all coins with the same test...
I did tweak the GB pot on the old tone golden to match the 8"coil...gained about an inch from the original 8x9 coil.
Just some food for thought....

Cheers Whimp

Way too cold to detect here in eastern Ohio, so I thought I’d play around a bit with my Golden Micromax with air testing and a little ground balance checking.

Last fall I sent my Golden in to have it calibrated with a new brown doughnut coil I purchased from Rusty Henry. I have been using the 7 inch widescan, which was also factory set to the machine a while back... by far my favorite coil on this machine because it runs quieter, you can set the sensitivity very high, and it gives very clear distinct tones (better than the 9x8 and 8” concentric in IMHO).

Anyways, the depth has not been great with the 7” coil... air testing 6-7” inch max on quarters. So I thought I would try the brown doughnut coil (as I really, really dislike the 9x8), and told Rusty about the depth issues.

Well, I definitely see improved air testing depth with the 8”... I am hitting a quarter at 10”!

My surprise came today, when for the heck of it, I thought I put the 7” widescan back on and test it, as I had not tried this coil since the machine came back last fall...

First I stepped out side just to see what the ground balance was like, cuz I know they adjusted it for the 8” and wanted see how bad off the widescan would be. Well, it’s not off at all, the GB is perfect, with maybe just a tinge of positive (the 8” doughnut tests a little negative, so I have a setting that lets me use both coils without fiddling around with the GB pot inside).

After realizing I had a very good GB setting for the 7” DD, decided to go inside (where it’s warm) and do some air testing... to my astonishment there was about a 1 1/2 to 2” increase in depth. I am air testing a clad dime at 7”with a solid high tone, quarters are hitting at 8”, and a silver half dollar is catching a weak signal at 10”! I know this is hard to believe with the 7” DD coil, but there it is.

So I know the results will be different out in the ground... but I am encouraged that I will see some improved depth this spring and excited that I have a two coil set up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread