Feeling good about my Vaq.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a Vaquero for a few months now, and I've had lingering doubts about whether it's really as good as I hoped. But not anymore.

I hoped that the weak performance I was seeing was due to incredibly bad soil conditions in Tucson. Now I have some direct evidence for that. I have a small coin garden with clad dimes at 4, 6, and 8 inches. In disc, I can hit the 4 and barely the 6. Both sound great in all metal. But I can barely hit the 8 in all metal, and some days not at all. I wouldn't dig it. My disappointment was that my BH Tracker IV can also hit the 4 and 6, albeit not as clearly. It made me doubt what I paid for with the Vaq.

My mom is visiting and brought her Fisher F22. It has preset ground balance, and it can't handle the soil here at all. It's not any better than the BH, and maybe even a little worse. But she regularly finds deeper stuff back in Indiana. So now I'm more confident that the soil here is truly terrible, and I made the right choice with the Vaquero's manual GB.

I'm also impressed that the cheap little BH does as well as it does here! I've been thinking about hacking it to see if I can improve its GB for local conditions.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Set your sensitivity no higher than 6, then ground balance and set your discrimination just below the nickel line. Now test those dimes again. Do the same thing in All Metal. No More Than 6 on your Sensitivity. :skullflag:

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago I detected with someone who used a Bounty Hunter 505 with the 10" coil on it. Not a bad detector from what I seen for what it was. I certainly would choose it over any of the Garrett ace series.

OP
OP
E

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Set your sensitivity no higher than 6, then ground balance and set your discrimination just below the nickel line. Now test those dimes again. Do the same thing in All Metal. No More Than 6 on your Sensitivity. :skullflag:

Sens seems to make little or no difference in all metal. The coins sound the same from 1 all the way to the high stop.

With disc just above iron, I start to lose the 6" coin if i go below 7 on sens. It gets stronger all the way to the high stop. I start to pick up the 8" coin somewhere above 10.

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just brought a vaquero i watched alot of videos and what i saw is to hit the deeper stuff you need to super tune it and turn the ground balance about a third of a turn negative check out scannerguys youtube videos

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think super tuning is over rated. You lose disc and it sounds off on pretty much anything. Power balancing on the other hand, seems way more effective. Look it up. Monte has a good description on how to do it.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These two features and weight sold me on the Vaquero, the 11x8 DD and 5.75 concentric were just brownie points by Tesoro in putting out a wonderful product. And can't forget the great information from you guys on TN especially Terry Soloman and scannerguy1968 videos, never looked back and will never giver up.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread