Dual ED180 / ED120 mod?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd never heard of this before, so I looked it up. Looks to be about Tesoro machines. I have a Tejon and a Royal Sabre.

Just what is this 180/120 mod all about?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is based on a theory that was wrong from the get-go. I am aware of Monte's writing on this, but it's pure crap. Call 928-771-2646, and ask. You're welcome! :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that the terminology is something Tesoro made up to describe their levels of inherent iron rejection. Is that what you mean, Terry?

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the 120/180 is either hard wired or programmed into the IC chip.
I don't believe you can have both in one detector.
I know if it's either or you can make dual disc for whichever the detector is designed for, but as far asy limited knowledge of the electronics says it can only be one or the other

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wrong in what sense?

Wrong in that the iron discrimination capabilities between a ED180 machine and a ED120 machine are so minute to begin with. Throw in coil choice and soil conditions, and it's a wash. I am mystified as to why some folks want to "modify" these machines. I have a "modified" (by Monte) original Bandido I bought second-hand. Still trying to figure out if there is any difference. If there is, it sure aint much. :skullflag:

OP
OP
HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks just like to tinker I guess. The ground balance modification is an obvious one and relatively easy. Other modifications are certainly of less interest to me personally but it doesn't bother me if other people choose to do them on their own machines.

I was simply curious about the 120/180 combination because, in my experience, the 120 machines appear to run quieter in nails but sometimes I want to hunt in true all-metal mode. Yes, I know I can use separate machines and I do this now. Still, I would love to have a machine that offers both choices even if I had to mod a machine myself to get it.

I don't know where or how Tesoro adjusts their rejection points that begin at the lower end. I thought someone here might know.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
descrimination_chart.jpg
ed120.png

Not sure if this helps explaining 180 and 120 discrimination capabilities or not?

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
If there is little significant difference at the “iron” end of the discrimination range between the two (as Terry indicates) that is certainly not the case at the “coin” end. The 120 disc is definitely expanded more than the 180. There is a big difference between the 180 Mojave and the 120 Outlaw... at least as far as my experience with the two goes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is little significant difference at the “iron” end of the discrimination range between the two (as Terry indicates) that is certainly not the case at the “coin” end. The 120 disc is definitely expanded more than the 180. There is a big difference between the 180 Mojave and the 120 Outlaw... at least as far as my experience with the two goes.

Two different operating frequencies (10.6kHz vs 12kHz), concentric coil vs DD coil. Too many variables to prove this theory (in my opinion), and again, the performance in iron is so small that it's moot off the blackboard. In actual hunting conditions there is no noticeable difference (in my opinion).:skullflag:

OP
OP
HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you think Tesoro makes the distinction if the difference is negligible? They even created their own unique way to describe it. If there's nothing to it, why bother?

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do you think Tesoro makes the distinction if the difference is negligible? They even created their own unique way to describe it. If there's nothing to it, why bother?
Because it's Tesoro, that's why. They have done a lot of things that are kinda screwy over the years since the old man passed away. Other than minor variations of what they have out now, don't expect much. A plain dual freq. or two tone option seems completely out of their comprehension and your talking about a dual discrimination machine. We all settle with what they can actually come out with, which is not bad. Those who want a bit more mod them and lose the warranty. They have been slowly getting left behind though in just about every aspect, even in the "beeper" market, any blind man can see that. I know if or when I get a new machine, it more than likely won't be another Tesoro. Happy with the one I have now and don't need another one.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Two different operating frequencies (10.6kHz vs 12kHz), concentric coil vs DD coil. Too many variables to prove this theory (in my opinion), and again, the performance in iron is so small that it's moot off the blackboard. In actual hunting conditions there is no noticeable difference (in my opinion).:skullflag:

While I will agree that there are many variables, I very much doubt that a 1.4 kHz frequency difference is one of them. If you put an 8” doughnut coil on the Mojave and compare it with the same coil on the Outlaw, there will be a very clear and noticeable difference between the two... first in the quietness of the two machines... Outlaw will be smoother and quieter, and second in the expansion of the discrimination range at the higher “coin” end on the Outlaw, allowing it to discriminate out copper pennies and clad dimes, but still hit on silver dimes and all coins quarter size and up.

I think Pinenut also noted someplace on another thread, how the Outlaw discrimates out those steel bottle caps below nickel, but the 165/180 machines only do it above nickels. That difference has nothing to do with a 1.4 kHz frequency difference... it is the difference between two different discrimination circuits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread