Has anyone tried a 4" coil on A Mojave

Hybridcruiser

Jun 11, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Hi , i mosty just do tot lots these days in my old age. anyway I just bought a Majave and was wondering how well a 4" coil would work around the poles.What im lookin for mostly is small gold chains and a ring or 2 LOL I also have a compadre which is a real nice detector but I wasn't going to do a MOD to void a fairly new detector warranty. if you have any input please do share ,thanks

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have one set up for my Mojave so far I've only had it on for testing. Ran some gold rings over it they hit hard. I do plan to hit some tot lots with it soon. I should be able to work around the tight spots better, however the 7" coil gives the old double beep on a target near large iron. I plan on using it in trashy area's to hunt between the junk.

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought a used 5-pin 4" coil from a fellow detectorist. It will work fine on the Mojave as is. I could have it tuned, but that's fifty bucks plus shipping to do.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoros aren't really tuned for frequency it seems, like other companies have.
All 5 pins work on 5 pins (best when you chave adjustable GB) and all 4 pins work on 4 pins (same about the GB) the detector is tunes to the coil, not the other way around.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've switched most of the sizes available on 5 pin detectors with no problems. I recommend trying before sending to Tesoro. If you run into serious falsing, very poor performance etc. then may be worth sending in for a tuning.
luvsdux

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So would it be completely crazy to build an adapter to use another brand's 7 KHz coils? Or only a little crazy?

I'm not saying it won't work. But I would think that the coils do have to be made in a way to be compatible with the tech inside Tesoro.
I don't know enough about coils to answer well, but I would think that could for digital machines are wound different that coils for analog machines.
You can always try, but just know you may ruin your coil

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't even consider trying to adapt a different makers coil to any of my Tesoros.
luvsdux

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the aftermarket coils made for Tesoro like NEL and CORS are wound to teaoro specs to be compatible. Other makes of coils are intended to function with that brand.
But again, I'm not coil expert but I'm sure someone would have done it by now and I haven't heard anything like this before done

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a DD Cors coil on my Mojave and Umax, didn't like it because it was too heavy and threw balance off. I was having chatter problems with Mojave so I ended up buying a 8" Tesoro doughnut for it and it does better. The chatter may have been caused by my cell phone on my belt. Next time I will remove it before I use Mojave.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chatter may have been caused by being close to Wifi signal. I used Mojave this morning with no problems. I'll have to keep a eye on it.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mojave is a little sensitive to EMI - I noticed it the first day out with mine, when rain clouds blew in. Mine started chattering away. Had to turn sensitivity way down to continue, but then it started raining so I just went home. Still had a very good day with my new Mojave.
I’ve noticed my Silver Sabre μMAX is sensitive to rainclouds like that too - great detector though.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a 4 inch coil on my Mojave as well as on an Outlaw and a modified Compadre in the driveway just outside my garage which is my practice area for excess junk. It separates better than the 5 ¾ and 7 inch coil and will find the smallest pieces of metal. I have recovered coins in this area that were hidden from the other coils by nearby iron and other metals. For areas that give multiple beeps per foot of swing, this is the best coil I have. However, it covers a very small area per sweep and as far as picking up coins and valuables next to steel poles, the 5 ¾ and 7 inch coils with their double beep can pick up coins right next to the pole so I don't see the 4 inch coil as being an advantage here. This is just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread