Whats up with Tesoro?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty Henry is gone - retired. :skullflag:

OP
OP
R

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I bought something from him not too long ago and he told me. He's traveling and having a blast.
So wonder where Tesoro is headed now...

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as they can make payroll and pay their rent and taxes with the proceeds of making and selling the same detectors, why should they stop. Of course, eventually they will have squeezed the last drops out of Jack Gifford’s design legacy and the doors will close on White Spar Road in Prescott.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I bought something from him not too long ago and he told me. He's traveling and having a blast.
So wonder where Tesoro is headed now...

I'm worried, & worse I'm a worried person.

Hope the Rain has moved in by now. :icon_thumleft: , :weather_rain:

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
As long as they can make payroll and pay their rent and taxes with the proceeds of making and selling the same detectors, why should they stop. Of course, eventually they will have squeezed the last drops out of Jack Gifford’s design legacy and the doors will close on White Spar Road in Prescott.

don't look for that to happen for a good long while yet!..they STILL make a very competitive detector!
it finds things!..good things! as long as tesoros continue to do that!,they will always have a place in the market!
ESPECIALLY the lower priced models!..ie: compadre,mojave,and silver u-max.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vince seems to be expanding his market in Europe. I seriously hope he has a new machine working on the white board in his office. I plan to take him to lunch during my trip to Arizona in November.:skullflag:

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him we want some black Compadres or Silver Umax's sold here in USA market. 2 dealers advertise black Compadre's on Ebay and then send you the regular ones. Should not be allowed.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love just to be able to get what Pentechnics is doing....

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007

they will continue to do well as long as the tesoro concept is a viable one!
analog designs are effective at finding treasure.i don't see this changing in the future
their designs incorporate a very quick recovery speed in trash,along with good depth.
the age old nemesis of finding silver coins in trashy parks,and other places remains to this day,and tesoro
has already found their share,and will continue to find more in to the future.they ARE a competitive detector.
older people find them a "joy" to use due to their lightweight.the "u-max" design by jack gifford remains as "up to date"
as ever .tesoros just plain find treasure..period. you can use a tesoro for a long,long time,a very rugged machine for sure,AND
if it should become defective over time,tesoro will repair it for free!..this is 'solid!" this means something in today's
"throw away" world.my feeling is if they continue on their present course,they will "survive" and even "thrive" with occasional
up dates.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This question seems to come up fairly often. I guess because Tesoro doesn't push new machines every year or so. I am a loyal Tesoro user that likes the analog design, light weight, simplicity etc. of their machines and as they still find as much as they ever did, I am satisfied to stick with what they offer. I personally feel that starting with a basic beep and dig detector is the best way to learn the hobby and once a person gets proficient with the subtle nuances of the single tone it serves as an extra dimension when using TID machines as well.
luvsdux

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jmaryt u speak words of wisdom and truth about Tesoro. Hat's off to you for saying what you did.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy a new Tesoro every other year whether i need one or not.......just doing my part to keep them in business, just incase one day something happens to my beloved Tejon and i would need it repaired or replaced.

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bought 4 used Tesoros because, from the research I've done, I thought they were better machines for my needs than the new models. In my view, the golden umax is by far the best Tesoro I've ever used but Tesoro doesn't make it anymore so my only option is to pay top dollar for a used model instead of buying a new one.

Tesoro is certainly capable of making a multi tone machine using their analog platform but for whatever reason they choose not to. If they made one I would buy it new today.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The golden umax is a very unique Tesoro and one of only a few that I have not owned. Not sure why Tesoro quit making this machine since it was kinda in a class of it's own...? Anyway, as for some of the older uMax detectors like the bandido, bandido 2, eldorado, etc. I have owned and used most of them. They are great machines up to a certain price point, but then I see no benefits over a new vaquero or outlaw. The only older model better than the newer IMO is the silver sabre vs silver uMax.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
This question seems to come up fairly often. I guess because Tesoro doesn't push new machines every year or so. I am a loyal Tesoro user that likes the analog design, light weight, simplicity etc. of their machines and as they still find as much as they ever did, I am satisfied to stick with what they offer. I personally feel that starting with a basic beep and dig detector is the best way to learn the hobby and once a person gets proficient with the subtle nuances of the single tone it serves as an extra dimension when using TID machines as well.
luvsdux

this is "dead nuts" accurate!..the secret to successful hunting with a tesoro
is "analyzing what the single tone is telling you!"...constant practice putting the coil
over various targets gives the hunter the information required to do well with a tesoro.
i cannot over emphasize this enough!..LISTEN!.very carefully to the slight differences from target to target!
there is a "subtle" difference from "hit to hit"..LEARN these subtle differences!..they do exist!
IT TAKES TIME but once mastered to what your tesoro is telling you,your fun quotient will increase
immeasurably!...

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you have more than one tone you have to analyze each different to make sure you do not miss something. Can you tell the difference in the iron grunt between a nail and super deep silver? Can you tell the difference in a mid tone between small and large? How can you tell the difference if more than one tone is sounding off at one time? I can talk in one tone and so can all the Tesoros I own. Like others say, "Listen and have fun".

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i hunt with one of my multi tone detectors for a few hunts, then go back to my Tejon....i kinda have to "start over" or i will atleast struggle understanding it for the first few hours. And also if i use my Tejon for several days in a row i get to the point of calling coins and other targets before i dig them. A person who uses only a single tone Tesoro would get very good with it in a short time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread