Is wireless hurting the excellent Tesoro audio

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been detecting the last few times without the wireless setup mainly because i didn’t get around to charging it. I’ve been doing very well, finding lots of Canadian clad that apparently I somehow missed with my ATPro and ATMax. Running the Vaquero, BTW. Last night I went back to wireless and found I was digging more pulltabs than on the previous hunts. So just out of curiosity I plugged back in directly and wouldn’t you know it, there is a difference. The wireless seems to be deteriorating the excellent Tesoro audio that allows you to easily tell a pulltabs from a coin. Who knew?

Just thought I would share. Maybe someone else can test that and see if they see a difference too.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Argh, I really like using the Garrett wireless system with my Tesoros, and hadn't thought there was a difference but... guess I'll have to do a comparison.

How would you describe the difference... is the sound just less rich when using the wireless?

-Ken

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too early to tell what the difference is. It might be the sharpness of aluminum targets that is dulled down. I know with headphones plugged in directly I can hear aluminum 90% of the time. With the Z-Lynk I can’t hear the difference between pulltabs and our newer clad quarters. I unplugged the other day and dug 13. Maybe it’s coincidence? I found a target last time out and I scanned it with and without wireless. With, I was going to dig. Without, it sounded a bit sharp and raspy and sounded like a pulltab, so I dug to see. It was a pulltab. This is going to need more investigation.

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmmmmm. I’ll have to check this

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My guess is that there will be a small loss of audio signal with the wireless, but doesn’t it just transmit the audio it receives from the source anyway? I think there shouldn’t be too much difference.

That said, I still haven’t gone wireless. - I enjoy my Killer B’s and Sunray Pro Gold’s.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, but could it be analog vs digital?

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the wireless headphones from Deteknix on my Tesoro's, works for me. I don't hear any differences.

Juiceman

Jun 20, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know for sure but< if the wireless link is digital then the audio is going through 2 A/D converters. IF that is the case then you will get a loss of audio quality. best example I can give is listen to the cymbals on an old recording from the 70's that was done on analog recording equipment then listen to the cymbals on a modern recording. To ME the cymbals on the analog recordings sound organic and non-fatiguing. The newer digital recordings are harsh and cold sounding. Just my opinion I suppose but I can hear it.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know for sure but< if the wireless link is digital then the audio is going through 2 A/D converters. IF that is the case then you will get a loss of audio quality. best example I can give is listen to the cymbals on an old recording from the 70's that was done on analog recording equipment then listen to the cymbals on a modern recording. To ME the cymbals on the analog recordings sound organic and non-fatiguing. The newer digital recordings are harsh and cold sounding. Just my opinion I suppose but I can hear it.

It is for this reason that LP records have made a comeback. A very noticeable difference to those with good hearing.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is for this reason that LP records have made a comeback. A very noticeable difference to those with good hearing.

It’s pretty noticeable even if your hearing isn’t perfect. CD’s sound clear and without pops or clicks, but often lack in the fullness and warmth of a good record on a decent system. For the past year I’ve been swapping out audio equipment to make records sound the way I like. They sound much better than CD’s to me (and my hearing’s far from perfect).

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried a little experiment yesterday: hunted with the Vaquero and the Garrett wireless system (ZLynk) for about 30 minutes, then plugged my Killer B headphones directly into the machine instead. The tones immediately sounded brighter and crisper... it's almost like the ZLynk system was smoothing them out so there weren't as many "rough edges".

However, I'm not 100% sure I had the volume control on the ZLynk set to maximum, so that might have been a factor. I'll do another test when I get a chance, and be more careful this time :-)

-Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions