Laser Trident II SI problem

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Laser Trident II (Vaquero based) will not discriminate out new style tabs or zinc pennies. Any ideas?

What coil is on it? If it’s a concentric and it won’t disc out zincs, something is wrong with the detector. It should disc ‘em out with a Widescan too, but it’ll be higher up the range. You may want to call up Tesoro tomorrow morning and ask whomever is working service. They may tell you to send it in.
I’m curious; where did you get the Laser? English ebay?

OP
OP
P

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two coils, the 8x9 and 5 ¾ concentric. Neither will disc out. I called Tesoro and the tech said that he had no idea but I could send it in. I might do that but I very seldom disc that high anyway. I got it on regular eBay. The only thing is that the ground balance pot has an off position that is set like the Cibola and after the click, not even a full turn from minimum to maximum. Needless to say the GB is touchy! I have a 10 turn pot to put in but have to decide if I want to send it to Tesoro first so they don't turn it back to original. At least they said they would work on it.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm know nothing about laser detectors, but did Tesoro confirm that the GB pot is suppose to have an off click and single turn pot? Sounds like the disc pot on the vaquero. Hope noone replaced a busted pot with the wrong one...

OP
OP
P

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I checked the Laser Pentechnic website and the Trident II SI manual and they both say this is normal. Thanks for the advice though. HH

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of Tesoro using a one turn GB pot. Seems odd.
One potential issue with ten turn pots BTW, is that they’re long - so may not fit in place of a stock pot. You may need to find a different spot for it.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with pinenut. When I was modding my cibola, it needed to be bottom left where the pinpoint button was. The case is alot deeper at the bottom since there's the battery compartment at the top.
You could see about getting a normal 3 3/4 pot or have it sent in.
I can't understand why they would put a one turn pot on there and have an off. Unless the off goes to present ground balance that's set with a trimmer pot inside. This has piqued my interest lol

OP
OP
P

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The off position is a preset ground balance set the same as the Cibola. They even advertise that it has a preset ground balance like the Cibola and another that you can set. One turn ground balance is the way it is. Look on Lasers British website if you don't believe me. If the 10 turn does not fit, I will not put it in. It cost less than $4. If I have to put it where the pinpoint button is, I can do like the Cibola and put a 2 or 3 position switch under the box to take the buttons place. I saw on one forum that they ground off part of the back of the 10 turn but that was a Bourne one. This one looks thinner but like I say, if it doesn't fit, I won't put it in. On the British forums, the Trident gets good reviews. I don't understand the reasoning either but I do like the detector.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the only thing about wiring a 10 turn or any other instead is it isn't a matter of just unsoldering and resoldering since there's an off position and a wire or two that correspond to that. I myself don't have the expertise to understand which wires would go where. I needed the PDF to do the Cibola.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the only thing about wiring a 10 turn or any other instead is it isn't a matter of just unsoldering and resoldering since there's an off position and a wire or two that correspond to that. I myself don't have the expertise to understand which wires would go where. I needed the PDF to do the Cibola.

Wiring shouldn’t be any trouble for him; he can just use the wires going to the existing 1 turn pot. Guessing that the preset (?) could be a fixed resistor soldered on or near the 1 turn pot, but some checking with the DMM should tell you.
I think the only issue would be placement of the longer pot.
Cibola had no faceplate adjustable pot, so you need to know where to look inside for the internal GB pot, remove it and then run your wires. Having done one and not seeing enough difference between it and a Vaquero, I wouldn’t bother doing it again.

Really though, I’m sure Tesoro won’t charge too much to having the Laser working as it was intended.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread