Mod a used Compadre or buy a new Mojave just for the warranty.

gsignal888

Greenie
Aug 13, 2018
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, DIY TGSL, Tesoro soon (which model TBA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a tough decision whether I should buy a used Compadre dirt cheap and modify it so it will have volume control, sensitivity and the big bonus, GB.

Or I can buy a new Mojave leave it bone stock with no volume control, limited factory GB toggle control just for the lifetime warranty.

The other big issue I have is that almost all dealers that I have called are recommending a digital detector like Garret, Minelab, Fisher and other brands but never Tesoro. Is analog gone?

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a toss up on your Tesoro dilemma, only you can decide that one. Analog isn't gone, and if you will search behind those digital units with an analog unit you will be shocked at all the nice goodies they seem to miss on a regular basis, especially multiple coin spills.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, first about analog being gone.

My first detector was an ace 350. Not nearly the top of the line from that company, but it'll make sense at the end.

I loved that detector. Didn't know anything else. Had alot of fun and found alot of coins.
Then I stumbled onto a Tesoro forum on another main forum. I was curious so I bought my second Detector. A 8" compadre.
Well, I was shocked at how fast it was. My 350 in comparison seemed dog slow. I onow at the time the at pro was faster, but almost $600 at the time. The compadre was 160 and I still think it's faster than the at pro.
But I digress.
Modern machines can definitely be as quick as an analog, to your understanding. I love my "fancy" digital Turkish machines. They are incredible and cost way more than they do nowadays and I'm still happy with them for what I paid. But I'll say this.... I still have an incredible love for Tesoro.
And for the price of the compadre or Mojave, they can't be beat by anything in their price range.
Personally for your dilemma, I'd go with the Mojave.
I modded my cibola and I'm incredibly happy with it. But. The process of modding it was nerve racking. It ended up great but if I messed it up I would have had 2 choices.
Throw it away or send it in to be put back to stock.
The cost would have been $50 to send it in for a look. Depending on any damage to the board or components, it could have cost me another $150 on top for parts and labor.
So in that situation with the cibola that cost me $180 used, it could have ended up costing me 320 which at that point I may have well bought a Cibola new lol.

If you're great with electronics then you may be fine. But for the cost of a compadre used (may have also been screwed with internally like many used compadres are, by people who want to spend a little and come out with a powerhouse) plus the cost of what you need to mod it and the chance to screw it up, I'd go with the mojave.
Back when I was considering modding a compadre I found the Cutlass umax 12 khz (not Cutlass II Micromax 10khz) which before the mojave was a modified compadre with changeable coils. Even then, after the cibola mod, I didn't want to go into a used compadre.
Long story even longer than it is already, if you want a compadre... Buy one new with warranty and leave it. If you want a compadre with changeable coils and sensitivity as well as a ground switch that from what I've been told handles all but the worst conditions, then buy the Mojave new and have the lifetime warranty.
I personally feel, after buying new and used, that the lifetime warranty is worth half the price of the new detector with warranty. If you are shopping used, half price or less is all I'll pay to lose the safety net of the only lifetime warranty in the hobby.

Sorry that went so long and I hope you got something out of it.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus 1 on Stoof's reply. If you have headphones with volume control there is no need for it built in. If you do not want to wear headphones, then the volume will be either to quiet, too loud, or just right. If just right, no control needed. If too loud, a piece of tape over the speaker outlet , inside or outside, cures the problem. If it is too quiet, volume control will not make it louder. I have headphones with volume control. The only detector I have with volume control is a T2 and it is always turned all the way up: the rest I have never thought I needed volume control on. Sensitivity can be adjusted internally if you think it is needed. I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference except if you max it out, it will make it false sometimes. If you know how to ground balance without all metal and a threshold, it might make the Compadre a little deeper but not a whole lot. The Mojave will still probably be deeper after all the modifications to the Compadre. However, I like my Compadre better because of how it can find things in trash. The only mod I would suggest would be to make the coils interchangeable. Just my opinion but I would take the super deal on the Compadre and learn it. By then, you will probably have enough finds to pay for one that you think you need. Be aware also that the sound

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big welcome here and best of luck in buying a new detector. I have a new Mojave and it is a great detector.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a Mohave on the classifieds here for 200 shipped.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That warranty can't be beat. I'd take a used Mojave for no more than 125. Even in perfect condition. That warranty can really come in handy.
The irony is if bought new there's a good chance that you'll never have to send it in. But buying used there's always a chance an apprentice electrician has been inside and may have messed it up, needing to send it in.
Used detectors are great and I haven't had any issues with any of mine that I've bought, but have heard horror stories lol
It's the chance you take I guess.
All my higher end Tesoros we're bought used, but for the 160 for compadre or 251 for Mojave, you may as well buy new.
A vaquero for 250 used is a steal at almost 50% off. At 200 off I can afford to have it sent in and still save money. A Mojave for 200 is only a 20% savings and all you save is the cost you'll pay to send in the Tesoro plus the cost to ship it to them if something goes wrong.
Maybe I'm nuts but it's a numbers game.

This line of thinking doesn't count for out of production models because you can't get them new lol
I don't mean to discourage you, but since you're new just passing on some ideas for your mind to munch on.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Slingshot" you are right on! I use only a Tesoro Outlaw for playground areas and consistently find more coins and jewelry than my hunting friends with much more expensive units. In these situations the Outlaw out performs the more expensive machines. :icon_thumleft:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd get the Mojave. Be a shame to work over a perfectly good Compadre.
luvsdux

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Slingshot" you are right on! I use only a Tesoro Outlaw for playground areas and consistently find more coins and jewelry than my hunting friends with much more expensive units. In these situations the Outlaw out performs the more expensive machines. :icon_thumleft:

POE. You worded this perfectly! "In these situations"
Makes me laugh when I see posts like my ace 250 is just as capable as my friends $1200.00 machine.....ect.

Sure, my bounty hunter tracker 4 can smack any coin my Equinox or Tejon can when it's 4" or shallower.

Take them out to a pasture where an 8" large cent is buried and see how much the entry level machine fares! Haha. Like my harbor freight screwdrivers taking apart electronics vs rusty cars screws. Tool for every job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread