cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive talked to a few guys and they were incredible people. Love my Tejon.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Who just shuts down, closes the doors and forgets about a decent customer base? Rich or broke, everyone does what they can to make the most money. Unless the property and building alone are worth a huge enough fortune to go globe trotting for life, I would guarantee that offers will come in to keep the company going under a new owner. This could be the beginning of Tesoro 2.0 (or 3.0 depending on your view) and...

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who just shuts down, closes the doors and forgets about a decent customer base? Rich or broke, everyone does what they can to make the most money. Unless the property and building alone are worth a huge enough fortune to go globe trotting for life, I would guarantee that offers will come in to keep the company going under a new owner. This could be the beginning of Tesoro 2.0 (or 3.0 depending on your view) and...

I guess there are too many makers and just not enough users. Frankly around here I almost never see anyone but myself out detecting. And I don't buy many detectors myself.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know plenty of guys around here who detect, but I only know of one guy other than myself who uses a Tesoro and he has not bought a new one in 10-12 years. To many people want a screen with a fancy display....they want to feel like they are setting up a space shuttle for lift off. Majority of people want multi tones. People like a waterproof machine. I think the equinox was the nail in the coffin for Tesoro. And it will be damaging for other companies also if the don't push back with a comparable machine at a comparable price. Think about this: you can buy an equinox 600 a good bit cheaper than you can a new Cortes! I love Tesoro detectors and I hate to see this but I can't say I'm shocked. Gun companies have been the same way lately. Who would have thought that there would be a time that H&R couldn't stay in business just building quality single barrel shotguns?

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only detector company which I know of which got bought after going bust and had its models survive was Fisher, and even that was really only to get the CZ and Gold Bug platforms.

Tesoro has no valuable intellectual property - patents, trade secrets, etc. Their detectors are not popular any more, their distribution model - relying as it does on an ever-shrinking group of independent detector dealers - is out of date and withering.

if they own the building, it will be likely be leased out or put up for sale.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is precisely why companies, from the beginning, go out of business.
Outdated business model.
Lack of changing for the times whether in product design, or business management or both, is a sure method to not succeed.
One example is, today’s companies have to take advantage of “social media” or very well may end up closing it’s doors.
Prayers go out to the people and families who lost their jobs.

curious2

Sep 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will dealers continue to sell existing stock? An advertised selling point for the Tesoro detectors is that lifetime warranty. Seems dealers could be on the hook if they sell units for which there is no longer warranty service.

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently the high bidder on a shark, and am hoping I get out bid. At $300 max bid I think I will get out bid, but...

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how much repair work they do but given all the machines out there I'm sure it's a decent amount of work received. To be fair to the costumer base that supported them all these years they could have been like hey...."cant do this for free anymore but your welcome to send your machines in for repair"...,or something like that. ....just saying. May would have saved a few jobs as well.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the employees should wait until they (Tesoro) bankrupt then place a bid on remaining assets and make a go of servicing the customer base. If at all possible.

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt they will but releasing the designs as open hardware could be a rather disruptive move. Just like Arduino and other did to hobby electronics a huge amount of innovation can happen if the community gets involved.

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admit I'm anxious to see what the prices do in the long term...they have always had a cult like following...I honestly wouldn't be surprised either way. They could be deemed about worthless down the road as newer and better gets cheaper or the prices could eventually stabilize on the high end....dunno. Sad though..I am a bit dissapointed.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
with the company gone,i believe, over period of time, prices will stabilize, and possibly go up depending on the model.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with the company gone,i believe, over period of time, prices will stabilize, and possibly go up depending on the model.
un to watch.
(h.h.!)
j.t.

It will be interesting to see,,,I have no lean either way on what prices will do but it will be fun to watch. Its a bit of a unique situation.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It occurred to me that this might not be the end of Tesoro, just the end of "Made in USA".

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
China - why pay for what you can steal

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2018...Last year for the Volkswagen Beetle and Tesoro metal detector. Bye bye vintage.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is Tesoro is still honoring warranties. I know there is at least 1 engineer there as I talked to him after the layoffs and was told they are still open, that the factory staff was laid off. Also my understanding is they have done this a couple times in their 38 year history.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted for politics, KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FORUM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread