Coil cable question

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freqs have to match. 14 khz detector needs 14 khz coil. Example coils for say Sand Shark want work on Conquistador.

Last edited:

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This could be totally wrong, but I always assumed the 8' cables were for underwater use while keeping the control box above water.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I use my 10x12" coil that came with an 8' cable for. I unscrewed the control box of my Mojave from the shaft and put it in a chest pouch. Not foolproof, but as long as I'm careful it works well for shallow water hunting.

Regarding frequencies, my understanding is that the Tesoro coils don't really have specific frequencies, but the control boxes do. The coils do come in four-pin or five-pin configurations, so you have to match the connector to the control box. You can swap coils if they have the right number of pins for the control box, but performance might not be optimal if the box only has fixed ground-balance -- those control boxes are "tuned" to work with whatever stock coil ships with the machine.

-Ken

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on Tesoro website.

Accessory Coils
To get the most out of your detector, you may need a different coil. To match an accessory coil to your needs, you will need three pieces of information: Coil Family, Coil Type, and Coil Size. See Coil Info below to ensure the proper part number for your new coil.

Coil Family
It is very important that you select an accessory coil that is compatible with your detector. Our coils are divided into two series, the Delta and Epsilon. The Delta coils have 4-pin connectors; they are, also called H.O.T. (High Output Technology) coils. The Epsilon coils have 5-pin connectors and are designed for µmax coils. Check your detector to make sure you get the right kind of coil.

Click on a coil family below to see its accessory coils.

Delta Coils

Epsilon Coils

Coil Type
There are two main types of searchcoils currently on the market – the widescan and the concentric.

Widescan coils use two D-shaped antennas that are placed back to back. Because of this configuration, they are often called “Double-D” coils. The widescan coil is less affected by mineralization than the concentric, so it is generally used for gold prospecting or relic hunting in highly mineralized ground. Pinpointing is done with the heel or toe of the coil.

The concentric coil uses two round antennas, one inside the other. This coil is used on most detectors that are designed for coin, jewelry, and relic hunting. Concentric coils discriminate very well and pinpoint very easily because the strongest signal is always in the center of the coil.

Coil Size
There are many different sizes of coils available and each one may fine tune your hunting but only if you get the correct size. Larger coils go deeper than smaller coils but only on larger targets. When using a large coil, you may lose sensitivity to small targets. A large coil is also more susceptible to masking. Masking happens in the discriminate mode when a good target and junk target are both under the coil at the same time. If the targets are close enough together, the bad target will be discriminated out, and at the same time, the detector will not be able to pick up the good target. Masking is very common in junky playgrounds and in-and-around old house sites. Smaller coils will concentrate the signal and make the detector more sensitive to the little targets. Unfortunately, smaller coils tend to lose depth when compared to their larger cousins. Being that these coils don‘t have as wide a search pattern, they are also less likely to mask targets in trashy hunting situations.

Coil Info

Knowing where you are going to hunt and what you are hunting for goes a long way in choosing the right coil for your needs. A larger coil is used to hunt in a clean area and/or for relics that may tend to be deeper. A small coil will help to find the smaller targets such as gold nuggets or fine jewelry. Small coils can also be used to hunt for coins & jewelry in extremely trashy sites.

The length and width of the coil affects different aspects of its performance. The length of the coil (toe-to-heel) affects your coverage area, while the width (side-to-side) affects the depth. For example, the 3x18" cleansweep coil is 3" wide by 18" long. The 18" length provides a very large coverage area, but its 3" width indicates depth similar to a smaller coil.

Most coils are available with a short or long cable. The short cable is approximately 3½' long and is suited to accomodate the length from the housing to the coil. The long cable is approximately 8' long, and allows for the housing to be removed from the pole and worn on the hip (only applicable to water units and Lobo ST).

Coil Part Number Definition

Scuff Size & Shape Coil Type — Cable Length Color — Connector
S = Scuff included
(No S) = No Scuff included

# R = size in inches, Round
# E = size in inches, Elliptical
# x # = size by size in inches
C = Concentric
W = Widescan
P = Pulse
S = Short Cable
L = Long Cable
B = Brown
W = White
K = Black
C = Carbon
D = 4-pin
E = 5-pin
For example: S-12X10W-SW-E would be Scuff included, 12" by 10" in size, Widescan type, has a Short cable, is White in color, and has a 5-pin connector (Epsilon Famiy).
8RC-LB-D would be No Scuff included, 8" in size and Round, Concentric type, has a Long cable, is Brown in color, and has a 4-pin connector (Delta Family).

Click on a coil family below to see its accessory coils.

Delta Coils Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

Epsilon Coils Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

All searchcoils are electrostatically shielded and waterproof. See your nearest Authorized Tesoro Dealer for more information or help selecting a compatable coil

Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

OP
OP
Mojave1

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reason I asked is I have a Vaquero which has 8x9 Delta coil. I like the 8" doughnut coils and the Delta ones only come with 8' cables. Don't want 8' of cable on my Vaq...lol

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reason I asked is I have a Vaquero which has 8x9 Delta coil. I like the 8" doughnut coils and the Delta ones only come with 8' cables. Don't want 8' of cable on my Vaq...lol

I don't know why Tesoro only makes the Delta 8" donut with the 8' cable. You can send it to Tesoro to be shortened, or sometimes the dealer can do that for you. I was lucky enough to order one from Rusty Henry shortly before he retired, and he shortened it for me.

I like the 8" donut way more than the 9x8", and have one for my Epsilon machines as well. It's a great coil.

-Ken

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep - longer cable is for belt mounting your control box, like for when you’re wading in water or just wanting to swing a lighter package. Swinging a “Shark” with the 10” coil will make your arm tired after a few hours time, even with control box mounted in the back position on the pole. Feels light with the box on your belt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread