Tejon help needed...

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi All,

Okay, first off I know the ordeal with Tesoro and with that being said, I still bought a new Tejon, because as Terry stated, "I'll probably break before my Tesoro would" and I'm very aware of the quality of Tesoro and there reputation.

I had an X-5 that I got from Troy and had to sell it after my divorce, which incurred some financial strains. I've been wanting another X-5, but they're like hens teeth, they're very rare, or so it seems, and when you do find one the seller wants an arm and a leg for it.

Loving my X-2 and wanting another one tone machine with no VDI / TDI I elected to get the Tejon. Well to make a long story short, this machine isn't an X-5, it's a beast and I love it, not saying the X-5 wasn't a beast in itself, however I do have some questions regarding certain way's the Tejon sounds and acts.

If anyone out there has a Tejon and lots of hours on it an understands the machine really well, could you please give me a call on my cell @ 985-205-0960. I'd really appreciate any help and / or advice you could give me.

Thank you in advance, Take care, HH and may God Bless each and everyone of you!!!

Darryl Galloway
AKA "D" or "Possum"

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to post up that when you do dig a couple nice coins you will get the ear for those softer, "rounder" signals and won't even have to flick over to ALT. Disc. Loads of audio nuances in these machines.

Sorry just had to post that.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High vdi is right on they money here. I run my disc around foil when relic hunting. A truly good signal 90 percent of the time will just sound "right" or "round" not clipped, not to short not to BIG it won't blare in your phones it won't pop or click and it will be a button, bullet, coin or other small item made of copper, brass, silver, etc. Really deep items are a little tricky at first. But most will sound round if they are good just much softer. Items at the very verge of being undetectable may try to break or disc out even at foil setting, especially in really hot ground. A easy way to check this is to pull the trigger switch to all metal, if the target gets much louder it is a nail or other small iron target. If it stays the same or very close, dig it! I have dug some really deep Minnie balls this way. The Tejon can be aggravating for a while, but it just takes time. If I can be of more help let me know...

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just wanted to post up that when you do dig a couple nice coins you will get the ear for those softer, "rounder" signals and won't even have to flick over to ALT. Disc. Loads of audio nuances in these machines.

Sorry just had to post that.

No need to apologize HVDI, any Info, comments, tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!! "D"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
High vdi is right on they money here. I run my disc around foil when relic hunting. A truly good signal 90 percent of the time will just sound "right" or "round" not clipped, not to short not to BIG it won't blare in your phones it won't pop or click and it will be a button, bullet, coin or other small item made of copper, brass, silver, etc. Really deep items are a little tricky at first. But most will sound round if they are good just much softer. Items at the very verge of being undetectable may try to break or disc out even at foil setting, especially in really hot ground. A easy way to check this is to pull the trigger switch to all metal, if the target gets much louder it is a nail or other small iron target. If it stays the same or very close, dig it! I have dug some really deep Minnie balls this way. The Tejon can be aggravating for a while, but it just takes time. If I can be of more help let me know...

Thanks DV, hopefully I'll pick up on the rounded sound. I've read the e-book Terry mentioned regarding the Tejon and Vaquero and the author mentioned the rounded sound numerous times when it came to identifying coins and good targets audibly. Like HVDI stated, this machine has loads of audio nuance's that I'm gonna have to learn. I love my CTX and will always do so, but I've been using the Tejon primarily since I've gotten it to get more time with it in an attempt to learn it. Granted my good to bad finds ratio has greatly reduced, but I'm not giving up until the Tejon and I start to click. I stated in another thread answering one of your post "I've got to learn to saddle her before I can ride her". Thanks and as I told HVDI any and all advise, comments or tips are greatly appreciated!!! "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions