Sand Shark Coil Cover Problem

Kevin W

Greenie
Oct 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while ago, I bought a used Tesoro Sand Shark and it has been working great. I live in Florida, close to the Fort Lauderdale beaches. The Sand Shark has a 8" coil, and the previous owner appears to have used silicone to attach the coil cover... :BangHead:

I have no idea how long the cover has been on the coil, and I really wanted to remove it to clean the coil. I am afraid that I am going to damage the coil by trying to remove the cover. Should I leave well enough alone, or does anyone have any tips on how to remove a coil cover that has been siliconed on?

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin W

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No clue. Sharp, thin knife to cut through the silicone? Of course, you risk putting a pinhole in the coil causing a leak. Doing this to a coil really drops the value of a unit and is not necessary. I wish you the best.:skullflag:

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it looks like they did a good job on the cover then there would be no reason to clean it. The problem is when you wear the cover out and have to replace it.

OP
OP
K

Kevin W

Greenie
Oct 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got it off. Soaked the coil in some warm water for a bit, and used an expired credit card to gently pry between the cover and the coil. Took some time, but I got it. The previous owner really glopped the silicone on the bottom of the cover too. And amazingly I did find some sand in there after getting the cover off. I'm not going to re-use the old cover, but I will probably buy a new one and attach it using zip ties or tape so I can more easily remove it for future cleanings.

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Honestly you won’t need any zip ties or tape. I’m just north of you in West Palm and use the same detector. I take my coil cover off after every hunt to clean under it and it’s a pain to get off just by itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread