noob question, sorta

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, after being into detecting for a really short time (about a year or so) with a pretty good detector, I want some perspective. As in my newbie introduction. I fell into a fab deal on a White's MXT Pro. Like falling off a cliff trying to learn a sport and an expensive machine. By all accounts it's a great machine, but too much too fast. I got out when moving and sold the Pro at a profit to a guy that appreciated and would use the machine. Fast forward a few years. I'm getting back in. I've read a lot about the almost cult-like following of these robust, simple (to some) machines. There's something to be said for the DEEEE-LUXE new products out there...But I don't know if it's my military experience with Murphy or an avid aversion to the hi-tech fad of constant upates. A "robust, simple" (where have I heard that) machine appeals more in a lot of ways. Not that I can't learn the expensive machines, but taking care of one of these PI machines and learning one of these "feels" like a better long -term decision for me. Enough background....
1)better to buy a Mojave or change gears and buy the VLF Vaquero?
2) Living in Georgia, I could be detecting in both fresh water streams, rivers and the seashore. Is there a better way to go or would I need more than one machine realistically?
3) There are quite a few emf lines and transmission lines, is that a problem?

I really hope the company can go forward, but that is not realistically an issue as from EVERYTHING I have read, won't be a long-term problem (for me).

Thanks so much for your expertise and though for a new dude. I plan on buying a machine and although I will probably invest what I need, I don't buy to brag. I buy to use...

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) both Mojave and Vaquero are very good detectors. Vaquero gets a bit better depth and is a little more versatile. It’s also less susceptible to EMI issues. That said, I prefer the discrimination of the Mojave.

2) the above two are really all purpose -land- detectors. While the coils should be waterproof, the control boxes are not. You also won’t do too well detecting wet saltwater areas though they’ll do OK in the freshwater, and on dry salt beach - just not wet salt. Better off with another detector if you’re doing wet salty beach. In the Tesoro line that would be the SandShark, a PI unit (though no discrimination). If you’re going to do lots of salt beach detecting, you may want to look into something like an Excalibur.

3) of the two you listed, Vaquero is much better around power lines. The adjustable frequency also helps to lessen EMI, but won’t eliminate it. In fact, my Mojave (and a couple other Tesoros I have) even get chatty when dark rain clouds move in. I don’t notice interference so much with the Vaquero.

I’ve had lots of time on Vaqueros but not as much on the Mojave; probably just around 100 hours with it so far. I really liked the Mojave better in trashy spots - though both are good with similar size (small) concentric coils. Neither is my very favorite Tesoro though. ^_^

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not much point in purchasing a detector from a Company that could be about to go bust.
Minelab Equinox 800 is good value for money and hard to beat.
Whites Beach Hunter ID 300 is a good beach machine with OK inland capability.
Sand Shark is a nice beach PI but the Dual Field, ATX, TDI, Excal, are better.

I have found plenty of items at the beach with the Sand Shark but my Infinium, TDI, MK2 Sea Hunter and Safari are deeper detecting and have better sensitivity to smallish targets.
From my own exp with these detectors I feel that The TDI is the deepest detecting but as with all PIs there is no real discrimination.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
How much are you planning on getting into the water...just a few times a year or much more?
If a lot are you planning many trips down to the saltwater or will you be concentrating on freshwater sites?
How is your soil where you plan on hunting, lots of the red dirt or a good amount of the blacker stuff?

If you are going to be around water a lot you are better off thinking about waterproof detectors like the MX7, the AT's or the Equinox's.
In Ga. there are many sites, creeks and rivers that have had a lot of civil war action so if you are into relics this is a popular way to hunt in your state.
Check out the Zack Byrd Adventure Hour or Exploring Alabama youtube vids, they hunt separately and also together a lot and they are in the water a lot on the western side of your state.

If not you need to consider your land conditions and what you will be up against.

I live and hunt in Birmingham Ala. and I don't know if my challenges and dirt will be exactly the same as yours but I can tell you about my experiences hunting in the south for thousands of hours with several detectors...the Vaquero and Mojave among them.
I have areas with that red clay and I also have black dirt but that dirt is still highly mineralized.
I also have quite very big problem with extra iron, lots of it.
Because of the many challenges I have Tesoros are not my main tool for hunting around here although I have found a ton using them over the years, I just found that using a bit more complicated detectors with more features seem to be a big help combating this stuff that get me a bit deeper and deal with my massive masking problems a bit better but we aren't talking about those here so I will stick to the two you mentioned.

The Vaq was my first "real" detector that I used for a long time and did very well.
I had both the standard concentric coil and eventually bought a larger DD coil in my attempt to gain more depth in this mineralization.
Turns out that big DD coil didn't help me all that much around here.
Our depth is pretty pitiful here, 5" or maybe up to 6" or so is common and even though we can get deeper the signals get so screwed up as you go further down noticing them becomes problematic.
I have dug some targets deeper a few times in some rare better black dirt, up past 6" to about 7-8" or so but again that is a rare thing.
Luckily, there us still a pretty healthy layer of great targets that still exists in our devil dirt that goes from shallow up to that 6" mark and those that learn to deal with masking problems can be very successful.

The Vaq for me was great, I know it can get scary deep under the right conditions because I have seen it do just that here in wood chips in tot lots, in dry sand at inland lakes and when I lived and hunted in almost perfect dirt out west in Kansas and Missouri but in my devil dirt soil here...not so much.
I tried regular hunting, all metal hunting, super tuned hunting...anything and everything I could over the years but I never did figure out how to get close to the depth I could achieve out west using both my coils.
That was ok, though, I still found more than my share of treasure including coins and jewelry, as I said there is still a lot to be found at more shallow depths for those that figure out how to do it.
After thousands of hours I eventually put my Vaq on the back burner and got into using a Compadre for jewelry hunting and then the Fisher F2 which I really bonded with and then an F70 that opened my eyes to what more features can do for you especially in difficult conditions if you learn to take advantage of them.
I still pulled out the Vaq from time to time for fun, I even got a smaller sniper coil for it and continued to find great things and I still used the Compadre here and there also but my Fisher screen units were my prime tools.
I got used to hearing and understanding the tones like I do with those Tesoros but also the screens and the extra info and data they provided helped me out...a lot.

I eventually moved back here to Alabama and continued to use my F70, mostly, but still pulled out the Vaq and Compadre here and there because switching around is still great fun for me and always will.
On my outings with the Vaq I noticed something that I hadn't before when I used it here for so many hours in the past...It was not the greatest at helping me deal with and avoid digging tons of iron, and as I mentioned there is so much of that around here.
In the past it wasn't that big of a deal because I used to be much more of a dig-it-all kind of hunter but over the years it became much more important to me to avoid digging trash as much as I possibly could, I no longer had the time or patience to dig junk like I used to so I got a lot more picky about the effort I wanted to spend doing that.
With my Fisher I could do that way better than I could with my Vaq, I could avoid a lot with the Vaq but that thing seemed to like iron a little bit too much for my current taste so I did something I never though I would ever do...I traded it away to a dealer out in Missouri so it could live a productive and full life again.
I didn't think I needed a another Tesoro because I still had my Compadre but in that trade I needed to pick out something so I opted for a new sniper coil for my Fisher and a brand new Mojave in that deal.
It was a crapshoot, I was curious because of what I had read about it and all I was hoping for was for it to work just as well as my other experiences with Tesoros, have have a language that was just as colorful and if I was real lucky get a bit deeper than my Compadre which, for all intents and purposes, matched the depth if my Vaq as far as identifying deeper treasure in my problem dirt.

When I got the Mojave I was shocked and awed at what it seemed to be able to do around here.

It was deeper than my Compadre by several inches, I know it sounds impossible but it beat out my Vaq in depth, also.
To be exact it seems to be able to ID more and better targets in my soil deeper than either the Vaq or the Compadre...strange but true.
The Mojave still likes iron a little too much and I do get fooled from time to time but compared to my Vaq it really is much better at that task.
I consider that trade a win-win for both of us...he got a great and deep tool for his great dirt and I got one that seemed to be able to deal with mine better than the other two I have used.

I hunt some sites with some pretty massive EMI, surrounded by and I hunt right under electric wire and near a lot if WiFi and stuff...the Vaq didn't have a whole lot of issues with that and I find the Mojave has even less.

I am not a relic hunter so chasing iron isn't exactly my thing but if it yours that Vaq might be perfect.
My dirt is really weird and challenging but yours might be different and better so if that is the case the Vaq should still be highly considered.
If you are a jewelry hunter or like to hunt in tot lots, along fences or close to other big iron obstacles the Mojave shines at doing that like no other except the Compadre...all the while being extremely adept at finding coins and everything else we look for out there.

I can't tell you what is better for YOU, ground balancing is easy on the Vaq and just a flip of a switch on the Mojave.
You have a few more options on the Vaq but they are both very capable at their core and can probably find the bulk of the same treasure out there.
Weight is similar, cost is different but a used Vaq can be surprisingly close to the price of a new Mojave if you are a good shopper.
The lifetime Tesoro warranty was a big consideration for decades for many owners that guided their buying decisions but right now that is up in the air and we will see how things shake out with Tesoro.
No matter what these things are built like tanks, I had no second thoughts about buying my Compadre used and I have no fears about future service if I ever need it because chances are I won't.
If Tesoro isn't around in the future I am sure others will take up the slack and repair them if needed.

Two good choices but for me in my difficult SE. dirt the Mojave is the one.
Good luck with your decision...no real loser either way.

OP
OP
D

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks sooo much for the great info so far and if anyone reading this wants to add more, please do as I always want more information. I live in Warner Robins, Ga, south of Macon. I will be using it around fresh water, and hopefully in the future around salt water or at least the beaches. From time to time I will be up around Weiss Lake Alabama where the parents live. For now 99% dry land and fresh water. Sounds like a Mohave is in my future, but I may have a shot a bargain Nox 800 as well. Still doing the research on that. But since it looks like I'll have to sell the bike, I'll probably have the funds for it. I don't buy for show on anything I have. I'm more concerned about getting a machine that is dependable, won't need constant upgrades and I don't have to walk on eggshells with. The MXT wasn't like that either, but can't dwell on past mistakes. Just joined a metal detecting group here in middle Georgia, so I hope for some tutelage here as well, but will still be watching for more info here!!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the 800 is a better fit for your particular needs than anything you listed in your first post. I can say without a doubt the EQ is NOT going to have a Tesoro quality kind of build or "feel" but they are great at finding the goodies, are light and waterproof.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my 2 cents on the question.... The equinox is most definitely the most versatile option. It will do everything you are wanting to do, it's waterproof and multi frequency so you can use it in the wet sand. BUT, it will not be any easier to learn than the mxt pro you had. Actually, the mxt is a "simpler" machine. Two easy to use machines that have good prefermance and also easy to learn are the Vaquero and the Garrett AT pro. The AT pro is waterproof but will not do great in the wet sand. The AT has gotten Abad wrap on some of the forums but I can tell you it will make good finds. Some of my best finds have came with this detector. The Vaquero is a great machine and it's only fault is not being waterproof. Either way I would get a machine with adjustable ground balance.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beginner learning Equinox.
1. Charge it
2. Turn it on
3. Noise Cancel
4. Hunt

Imo best option.. your buying a turn on and go detector that you can grow with.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much are you planning on getting into the water...just a few times a year or much more?
If a lot are you planning many trips down to the saltwater or will you be concentrating on freshwater sites?
How is your soil where you plan on hunting, lots of the red dirt or a good amount of the blacker stuff?

If you are going to be around water a lot you are better off thinking about waterproof detectors like the MX7, the AT's or the Equinox's.
In Ga. there are many sites, creeks and rivers that have had a lot of civil war action so if you are into relics this is a popular way to hunt in your state.
Check out the Zack Byrd Adventure Hour or Exploring Alabama youtube vids, they hunt separately and also together a lot and they are in the water a lot on the western side of your state.

If not you need to consider your land conditions and what you will be up against.

I live and hunt in Birmingham Ala. and I don't know if my challenges and dirt will be exactly the same as yours but I can tell you about my experiences hunting in the south for thousands of hours with several detectors...the Vaquero and Mojave among them.
I have areas with that red clay and I also have black dirt but that dirt is still highly mineralized.
I also have quite very big problem with extra iron, lots of it.
Because of the many challenges I have Tesoros are not my main tool for hunting around here although I have found a ton using them over the years, I just found that using a bit more complicated detectors with more features seem to be a big help combating this stuff that get me a bit deeper and deal with my massive masking problems a bit better but we aren't talking about those here so I will stick to the two you mentioned.

The Vaq was my first "real" detector that I used for a long time and did very well.
I had both the standard concentric coil and eventually bought a larger DD coil in my attempt to gain more depth in this mineralization.
Turns out that big DD coil didn't help me all that much around here.
Our depth is pretty pitiful here, 5" or maybe up to 6" or so is common and even though we can get deeper the signals get so screwed up as you go further down noticing them becomes problematic.
I have dug some targets deeper a few times in some rare better black dirt, up past 6" to about 7-8" or so but again that is a rare thing.
Luckily, there us still a pretty healthy layer of great targets that still exists in our devil dirt that goes from shallow up to that 6" mark and those that learn to deal with masking problems can be very successful.

The Vaq for me was great, I know it can get scary deep under the right conditions because I have seen it do just that here in wood chips in tot lots, in dry sand at inland lakes and when I lived and hunted in almost perfect dirt out west in Kansas and Missouri but in my devil dirt soil here...not so much.
I tried regular hunting, all metal hunting, super tuned hunting...anything and everything I could over the years but I never did figure out how to get close to the depth I could achieve out west using both my coils.
That was ok, though, I still found more than my share of treasure including coins and jewelry, as I said there is still a lot to be found at more shallow depths for those that figure out how to do it.
After thousands of hours I eventually put my Vaq on the back burner and got into using a Compadre for jewelry hunting and then the Fisher F2 which I really bonded with and then an F70 that opened my eyes to what more features can do for you especially in difficult conditions if you learn to take advantage of them.
I still pulled out the Vaq from time to time for fun, I even got a smaller sniper coil for it and continued to find great things and I still used the Compadre here and there also but my Fisher screen units were my prime tools.
I got used to hearing and understanding the tones like I do with those Tesoros but also the screens and the extra info and data they provided helped me out...a lot.

I eventually moved back here to Alabama and continued to use my F70, mostly, but still pulled out the Vaq and Compadre here and there because switching around is still great fun for me and always will.
On my outings with the Vaq I noticed something that I hadn't before when I used it here for so many hours in the past...It was not the greatest at helping me deal with and avoid digging tons of iron, and as I mentioned there is so much of that around here.
In the past it wasn't that big of a deal because I used to be much more of a dig-it-all kind of hunter but over the years it became much more important to me to avoid digging trash as much as I possibly could, I no longer had the time or patience to dig junk like I used to so I got a lot more picky about the effort I wanted to spend doing that.
With my Fisher I could do that way better than I could with my Vaq, I could avoid a lot with the Vaq but that thing seemed to like iron a little bit too much for my current taste so I did something I never though I would ever do...I traded it away to a dealer out in Missouri so it could live a productive and full life again.
I didn't think I needed a another Tesoro because I still had my Compadre but in that trade I needed to pick out something so I opted for a new sniper coil for my Fisher and a brand new Mojave in that deal.
It was a crapshoot, I was curious because of what I had read about it and all I was hoping for was for it to work just as well as my other experiences with Tesoros, have have a language that was just as colorful and if I was real lucky get a bit deeper than my Compadre which, for all intents and purposes, matched the depth if my Vaq as far as identifying deeper treasure in my problem dirt.

When I got the Mojave I was shocked and awed at what it seemed to be able to do around here.

It was deeper than my Compadre by several inches, I know it sounds impossible but it beat out my Vaq in depth, also.
To be exact it seems to be able to ID more and better targets in my soil deeper than either the Vaq or the Compadre...strange but true.
The Mojave still likes iron a little too much and I do get fooled from time to time but compared to my Vaq it really is much better at that task.
I consider that trade a win-win for both of us...he got a great and deep tool for his great dirt and I got one that seemed to be able to deal with mine better than the other two I have used.

I hunt some sites with some pretty massive EMI, surrounded by and I hunt right under electric wire and near a lot if WiFi and stuff...the Vaq didn't have a whole lot of issues with that and I find the Mojave has even less.

I am not a relic hunter so chasing iron isn't exactly my thing but if it yours that Vaq might be perfect.
My dirt is really weird and challenging but yours might be different and better so if that is the case the Vaq should still be highly considered.
If you are a jewelry hunter or like to hunt in tot lots, along fences or close to other big iron obstacles the Mojave shines at doing that like no other except the Compadre...all the while being extremely adept at finding coins and everything else we look for out there.

I can't tell you what is better for YOU, ground balancing is easy on the Vaq and just a flip of a switch on the Mojave.
You have a few more options on the Vaq but they are both very capable at their core and can probably find the bulk of the same treasure out there.
Weight is similar, cost is different but a used Vaq can be surprisingly close to the price of a new Mojave if you are a good shopper.
The lifetime Tesoro warranty was a big consideration for decades for many owners that guided their buying decisions but right now that is up in the air and we will see how things shake out with Tesoro.
No matter what these things are built like tanks, I had no second thoughts about buying my Compadre used and I have no fears about future service if I ever need it because chances are I won't.
If Tesoro isn't around in the future I am sure others will take up the slack and repair them if needed.

Two good choices but for me in my difficult SE. dirt the Mojave is the one.
Good luck with your decision...no real loser either way.

I put the 8" doughnut on my Mojave and it goes even deeper.

OP
OP
D

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks are awesome!! I'm gonna be reading and re-reading to digest this info and all else that comes in on my posts. I know everyone has an opinion, but on forums such as this the input is MOSTLY from well-meaning, experienced detectorists that share in the joy of others and their victories (finds) in the hunt. I know I will be one of you and hope to be worthy of the time you have and will invest in my, and others success!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
You folks are awesome!! I'm gonna be reading and re-reading to digest this info and all else that comes in on my posts. I know everyone has an opinion, but on forums such as this the input is MOSTLY from well-meaning, experienced detectorists that share in the joy of others and their victories (finds) in the hunt. I know I will be one of you and hope to be worthy of the time you have and will invest in my, and others success!

I also hunt with an Equinox now, excellent tool and like most you can use factory settings and find a ton and learn to tweak it at your leisure.
There are a ton of features and adjustments available though, it can be daunting if you let it.

When people come on these forums and ask questions about specific detectors I usually try to address those tools if I know about them, it is great that there are so many out there and so many that are fans of most of them.
The problem is getting hit with all those suggestions can be confusing, not to mention price ranges can vary wildly and not everyone has the bankroll to buy every model no matter how great it might be.

The good thing about Tesoros is that most of them are relatively inexpensive and I have always said there are advantages to learning to use one well...even if you decide to move on to or add other detectors to the arsenal in the future.
The advantage to learning to hunt with sound only can only be a big help to you in the future as your career goes on, there us a Tesoro language you learn that will translate to most other detectors even if they have screens.
I used Tesoros a lot at the beginning but even though I also bought an F2, an F70 and now the Equinox the screens and data I got was still only a part of my decision process that helps me decide what to dig....or not.
You might not believe how much the tones and everything I hear matter, ask a lot of veteran hunters and a ton of them will say the same...on the Equinox forums there are tons that believe the Equinox is an audio machine way more than a screen machine.
The base of knowledge I learned using Tesoros for so many hours has been nothing but an asset to me, I wouldn't be the hunter I am today if I had not had all that experience learning to just listen when I hunted.
These things are way,way more than just beep and dig, when some post on the forums that they believe that is all they are we owners just chuckle.

The cool thing about Tesoros is they all pretty much have the same language from the Compadre on up...learn one, any one, well and you will be rewarded.
After that anything else you decide to purchase and use in the future will be easier to learn.

Last edited:

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
So, after being into detecting for a really short time (about a year or so) with a pretty good detector, I want some perspective. As in my newbie introduction. I fell into a fab deal on a White's MXT Pro. Like falling off a cliff trying to learn a sport and an expensive machine. By all accounts it's a great machine, but too much too fast. I got out when moving and sold the Pro at a profit to a guy that appreciated and would use the machine. Fast forward a few years. I'm getting back in. I've read a lot about the almost cult-like following of these robust, simple (to some) machines. There's something to be said for the DEEEE-LUXE new products out there...But I don't know if it's my military experience with Murphy or an avid aversion to the hi-tech fad of constant upates. A "robust, simple" (where have I heard that) machine appeals more in a lot of ways. Not that I can't learn the expensive machines, but taking care of one of these PI machines and learning one of these "feels" like a better long -term decision for me. Enough background....
1)better to buy a Mojave or change gears and buy the VLF Vaquero?
2) Living in Georgia, I could be detecting in both fresh water streams, rivers and the seashore. Is there a better way to go or would I need more than one machine realistically?
3) There are quite a few emf lines and transmission lines, is that a problem?

I really hope the company can go forward, but that is not realistically an issue as from EVERYTHING I have read, won't be a long-term problem (for me).

Thanks so much for your expertise and though for a new dude. I plan on buying a machine and although I will probably invest what I need, I don't buy to brag. I buy to use...

buy the "mojave!"..you will NOT regret it! i own one,and for coins and jewelry,it's
simply "outstanding!"..in my view,the lower end of tesoro offers the best "cost to value" ratio.
the compadre,and now,the "mojave" are ''sleepers" in the line.i use mine for 'sidewalk easements"
and do well. it's a "ton" of fun!
i do NOT own stock in "tesoro" as it is a privately held company!
speaking candidly,you do not need another detector,the mojave,and/ or the compadre
will do what you want to do,AND you will save a 'ton" of money! ..best of luck,in whatever you decide!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I also hunt with an Equinox now, excellent tool and like most you can use factory settings and find a ton and learn to tweak it at your leisure.
There are a ton of features and adjustments available though, it can be daunting if you let it.

When people come on these forums and ask questions about specific detectors I usually try to address those tools if I know about them, it is great that there are so many out there and so many that are fans of most of them.
The problem is getting hit with all those suggestions can be confusing, not to mention price ranges can vary wildly and not everyone has the bankroll to buy every model no matter how great it might be.

The good thing about Tesoros is that most of them are relatively inexpensive and I have always said there are advantages to learning to use one well...even if you decide to move on to or add other detectors to the arsenal in the future.
The advantage to learning to hunt with sound only can only be a big help to you in the future as your career goes on, there us a Tesoro language you learn that will translate to most other detectors even if they have screens.
I used Tesoros a lot at the beginning but even though I also bought an F2, an F70 and now the Equinox the screens and data I got was still only a part of my decision process that helps me decide what to dig....or not.
You might not believe how much the tones and everything I hear matter, ask a lot of veteran hunters and a ton of them will say the same...on the Equinox forums there are tons that believe the Equinox is an audio machine way more than a screen machine.
The base of knowledge I learned using Tesoros for so many hours has been nothing but an asset to me, I wouldn't be the hunter I am today if I had not had all that experience learning to just listen when I hunted.
These things are way,way more than just beep and dig, when some post on the forums that they believe that is all they are we owners just chuckle.

The cool thing about Tesoros is they all pretty much have the same language from the Compadre in up...learn one, any one, well and you will be rewarded.
After that anything else you decide to purchase and use in the future will be easier to learn.

i "chuckle" all the time when i hear that! been doing' this for over 35 years,and as you stated,tesoros are definitely
NOT JUST "beep and dig" machines! there is sooo much audio nuance in a tesoro single tone,that if you "listen,and learn"
you won't need,or want anther detector,and the "cost to value" ratio on the compadre,and mojave is really off the charts!
in my view,they are the true"sleepers" in the line!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

MM32KY

Greenie
Apr 23, 2017
Southern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only give an opinion on the Mojave because that's the only detector I have owned. I also considered the Vaquero but went with the Mojave mainly because of price and I don't want to dig a 10 inch deep hole. I am retired and started detecting in January 2018. I mainly hunt sports parks and schools. I didn't hunt at all during the heat of the summer and may average 3 to 4 hours every 2 week during good weather. My Mojave has paid for its self with clad alone >$300 YTD. I have found gold and silver rings, lots of bling and a few silver coins. I can start a used car lot with the number of Hot Wheel's I have found. The point to my comment is its a simple machine that's easy to use and its not going to break the bank and IMO it gets the job done. Next year cash in the clad and buy something else if you want. I don't have any plans for an upgrade because the Mojave fill my need for a detector. Have fin out there life is to short not to enjoy every minute.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I can only give an opinion on the Mojave because that's the only detector I have owned. I also considered the Vaquero but went with the Mojave mainly because of price and I don't want to dig a 10 inch deep hole. I am retired and started detecting in January 2018. I mainly hunt sports parks and schools. I didn't hunt at all during the heat of the summer and may average 3 to 4 hours every 2 week during good weather. My Mojave has paid for its self with clad alone >$300 YTD. I have found gold and silver rings, lots of bling and a few silver coins. I can start a used car lot with the number of Hot Wheel's I have found. The point to my comment is its a simple machine that's easy to use and its not going to break the bank and IMO it gets the job done. Next year cash in the clad and buy something else if you want. I don't have any plans for an upgrade because the Mojave fill my need for a detector. Have fin out there life is to short not to enjoy every minute.

forgot to mention!.."lifetime warranty"..granted, goes to the original owner, and
of course depends as to whether the company stays in business,however i doubt if
you will ever need it,as the tesoro has "outrageous" build quality.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you guys about the Mojave. I too was shocked and awed by the strong power of this little machine. With its 7 inch coil it will stand right up to my Tajon.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot to mention!.."lifetime warranty"..granted, goes to the original owner, and
of course depends as to whether the company stays in business,however i doubt if
you will ever need it,as the tesoro has "outrageous" build quality.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

My old golden sabre plus still works as well as the first time I turned it on. Its first signal dug turned out to be a 1561 sixpence.

It is my go-to machine when friends lose wedding bands.

My only worry about breakdowns would be if batteries accidentally got left in and leaked.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you guys about the Mojave. I too was shocked and awed by the strong power of this little machine. With its 7 inch coil it will stand right up to my Tajon.

There is something wrong with your Tejon if thats true.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said stand up to(confident bravery), but it would get it's but kicked:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread