Tesoro disc test in response to Calabash video

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a video on YouTube's Dig-a-holic channel comparing my Mojave vs my Silver U max. The Silver would disc out dimes and quarters. I'm thinking that maybe the disc knobs have slipped on the machines doing this. They are held tight to the shaft by a tiny screw. It may be possible for me to turn knob where the 2 coins hit and loosen and turn to full disc then tighten. Thoughts?

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You think maybe the knobs are loose on Calabash's machine, and maybe he's just twisting them and there not really moving? That could be possible I suppose.

OP
OP
Mojave1

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think maybe the knobs are loose on Calabash's machine, and maybe he's just twisting them and there not really moving? That could be possible I suppose.

I adjusted mine too far at first. it just moves the stop area closer to the start. I moved it just a hair and it gave me a little more pickup of silver. It is a inner adjustment problem. Look at my video and see for yourself and I'm a Tesoro guy. They were not set right from factory.

OP
OP
Mojave1

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont really think that is a defect on the umax. If you want to hunt dimes, you just make sure your disc is not tuned to high. I think this would be the purpose of an air test which would teach you where to set the disc on the detector.

OP
OP
Mojave1

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont really think that is a defect on the umax. If you want to hunt dimes, you just make sure your disc is not tuned to high. I think this would be the purpose of an air test which would teach you where to set the disc on the detector.

Other people have told me there Umax hits quarters wide open. I may not send it in because I don't never hunt wide open anyway but I do thumb roll alot and it's gonna effect that if I roll too far.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. You need to make a mark where dimes get cut out. I dont think my Mojave will tune them out, but I think my Tejon will if disc turned up to high.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Outlaw can disc out dimes and still hit hard on quarters.

I personally do not use that much discrimination while detecting.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Tejon smacks silver anything at full disc. Its a flaw in the machine i have too. No detector should disc so high it knocks out silver dimes.....even clad dimes for that matter. Ill use my conquistador for my son or just for clad but to me it is a handicap.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
My Tejon smacks silver anything at full disc. Its a flaw in the machine i have too. No detector should disc so high it knocks out silver dimes.....even clad dimes for that matter. Ill use my conquistador for my son or just for clad but to me it is a handicap.

"mojave" keeps 'em in at "max disc."

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lobo Super Traq with "max disc" keeps hitting silver.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any machine that doesn't is defective. My $70.00 Bounty hunter tracker iv still hits on dimes at full disc.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I was running my Tejon at full disc today and it was nailing dimes at 8 inches.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Vaq can disc out clad dimes and still hit silver dimes if I turn it past the max mark. The max mark obviously isn't max, but it seems to be where it starts losing a lot of depth. I don't know why you would ever run it that way, but you can.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Can only think of one reason to disc dimes, that being to dig only quarters and halves.
Aside from leaving your digging tool at home, what is the reasoning to run full discriminate?

geo

OP
OP
Mojave1

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can only think of one reason to disc dimes, that being to dig only quarters and halves.
Aside from leaving your digging tool at home, what is the reasoning to run full discriminate?

geo

I don't hunt full disk but if I'm park hunting I thumb roll it to give me an idea of what it could be. My quarters cut out a little past 3 o'clock mark. That's way too soon.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do it often, but sometimes when i hunt in a real trashy parc, and i mean realy trashy i disc everything (max disc setings) out on my Lobbo Super Traq so that it only detects silver. This gives detecting in silent mode and if there is silver , it will find it. Gave me a lot of silver rings,coins and otherbjuwelry. If it is so trashy that it is almost impossible to detect with normal disc settings, the LST is the best solution. I prefer it in this situation more then my Deus or Equinox 800.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coolest disc on my machines are on the outlaw and bandido II Micromax.
They are ed-120ish close to your silver
I can disc a dime and hit a quarter and copper. I can pick up a copper and block quarter and dime.
I think it's a ed120 thing because at minimum it blocks iron, meaning that the same turns on the disc knob spread out what's left above iron. Think of a piece of rubber. The ed120 is a smaller piece of rubber representing above iron all the way up to high conductors, it's just stretched over the same "arch" and the ed180 larger piece of rubber. The ed180 machines will usually compress the higher conductors at the top to make room for the lower conductors and iron at the bottom and will only disc high enough to just below the dime area. I.E. at Max you hit dimes, copper and quarters and silver.
Because ed120 has no area down in iron because it's disced out at minimum, the top end has more spread area and can go higher so you can separate dimes, nickels and copper/silver and depending on the model can even separate out copper from silver.

Hope that makes sense. Made sense when I wrote it, but hopefully the point got across.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm explaining where things disc out I try bit to use the clock analogy. If it's a used machine, someone could have loosened the set screw on the knob and "set" the pointer where they wanted it.
I did this with my modded cibola to get it closer to my vaquero, but the disc circuit is different. Set the pointer to the 5¢ spot on both, but the middle of the disc on the cibola is spread further. And tighter at the top and bottom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread