Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the 7" is a "Precision" coil, it's the stock coil for the Mojave and probably the one the machine will work best with. The 8", being close in size to the 7", will probably perform well, too. The 11"x8" might not perform optimally without the detector being tuned to it, but would still work.

Hope this helps!

-Ken

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto to what Ken said.

Tesoros get deeper if you tune the ground balance a little negative.

The tuning goes towards positive as you move up in the size of coils.

If you have several coils, you want to send in the detector and have it tuned with the largest coil. This will result in the smaller coils being more negative than the largest.

I have a Cibola tuned for the 12x10. Even with the 5", which is pretty negative, it is stable.

You lose depth if the ground balance is positive....

With that said, unless the seller sent it back and had it retuned with the 11x8, it's tuned for the stock 7" that came with it, making the 11x8 not operating at its peak performance.

How much more depth could you get with the 11x8 tuned instead of mistuned? I wouldn't lose sleep over it though I don't remember what the difference is. I can't find my notes when I retuned my Cibola. Someone could probably take a Vaquero or ElDorado or similar and give you an idea by tuning it for a smaller coil and then comparing the mistuned 11x8 depth with the depth of the 11x8 then tuned.

Guess it depends on what you want to hunt. The 11x8 coil costs a lot more than the smaller coils....

/end rambling....

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a YouTube vid of a guy with a Silver Umax and he does a depth test with stock coil and then changes to the 8x11. He started hitting a 8" quarter a lot harder after the change. I doubt he had GB adjusted. I have both detectors and bought a 8" doughnut for the Mojave. I have less EMI issues with the doughnut coil.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread