Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since Tesoro is likely gone, I’ve purchased a few coils to compliment my Eldorado umax. One of them being the 7” dd. I used it yesterday at 2 sites. First off was a dozed stone home that’s been gone since the 40s. There is mineralization here and lost of iron “confetti” like rusty thin strips of barrels or something EVERYWHERE. Hard to gb this coil. Disc not at all on par with concentrics. I basically found nothing here with this coil. I took it to an old yard next, lots of foil and tabs here. It was a poor performer. It did not disc well at all on aluminum. It is a deep coil. It’s only last possibility is to be used in a mineralized place with no moder trash. Old iron was discing fine, the surface and shallow thin stuff would not disc. Not happy. Monte has noted these issues before. I should have listened I guess!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a picture of it or find one online? I have an old 8" DD that's heavy and performs no where near the 11x8 DD.

Curious which one you have.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the 5 pin 7” closed white dd. It’s thick, unlike delta coils and the brown doughnut. It’s great to swing. Feels really good. I just did not care at all for the performance. Made the Eldorado speak Chinese for sure. Hoping it will redeem itself relic hunting in the clay in Missouri. I purchased it from serious detecting.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Since Tesoro is likely gone, I’ve purchased a few coils to compliment my Eldorado umax. One of them being the 7” dd. I used it yesterday at 2 sites. First off was a dozed stone home that’s been gone since the 40s. There is mineralization here and lost of iron “confetti” like rusty thin strips of barrels or something EVERYWHERE. Hard to gb this coil. Disc not at all on par with concentrics. I basically found nothing here with this coil. I took it to an old yard next, lots of foil and tabs here. It was a poor performer. It did not disc well at all on aluminum. It is a deep coil. It’s only last possibility is to be used in a mineralized place with no moder trash. Old iron was discing fine, the surface and shallow thin stuff would not disc. Not happy. Monte has noted these issues before. I should have listened I guess!

always had better luck with a concentric on a tesoro...never wanted to try a dd because my soil is low to moderate in mineralization.
tell 'em you aren't satisfied with the performance! maybe ya get lucky,or he issues a store credit! worth a shot!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
always had better luck with a concentric on a tesoro...never wanted to try a dd because my soil is low to moderate in mineralization.
tell 'em you aren't satisfied with the performance! maybe ya get lucky,or he issues a store credit! worth a shot!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I will give it another try before I condemn it.... maybe they will trade for a 7” concentric lol

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 5 pin 7” closed white dd. It’s thick, unlike delta coils and the brown doughnut. It’s great to swing. Feels really good. I just did not care at all for the performance. Made the Eldorado speak Chinese for sure. Hoping it will redeem itself relic hunting in the clay in Missouri. I purchased it from serious detecting.

Sounds like the 8-8.5" I have. I'll keep it short.......it's a pos...

I'm guessing old technology before Tesoro figured out how to wrap a better coil. My Eldorado came with a 9x8 spoke which is awesome. I also have the 12x10 and a new 11x8 DD. The old 8" round "wide scan" never sees the light of day.

jmho

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like the 8-8.5" I have. I'll keep it short.......it's a pos...

I'm guessing old technology before Tesoro figured out how to wrap a better coil. My Eldorado came with a 9x8 spoke which is awesome. I also have the 12x10 and a new 11x8 DD. The old 8" round "wide scan" never sees the light of day.

jmho
Dang it. Trial and error I suppose. I also have the 9x8 for Eldorado and it is my favorite. I also have the 12x10 concentric and 4”. They are kinda specialty. I only like the 9x8 on this machine so far, didn’t care for it on the vaq. Is your 12x10dd? And u have 11x8? 4 or 5 pin? I’ve considered one but honestly the Mars 10x6 interests me more. I’m saving for an altogether new machine now..... Tesoro’s always in the car though.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang it. Trial and error I suppose. I also have the 9x8 for Eldorado and it is my favorite. I also have the 12x10 concentric and 4”. They are kinda specialty. I only like the 9x8 on this machine so far, didn’t care for it on the vaq. Is your 12x10dd? And u have 11x8? 4 or 5 pin? I’ve considered one but honestly the Mars 10x6 interests me more. I’m saving for an altogether new machine now..... Tesoro’s always in the car though.

I have both 12x10 for the five pin. And the four pin 12x10 widescan. I always reminded Rusty I needed a 12x10 four pin concentric but it was explained as I recall, the four pin machines were built for DD coils. I have the four and five pin 11x8, I think the 11x8 is the best coil I have ever used on both machines.

I've never found third party coils that perform better than the original manufacture's coils. Don't be attracted by price or claims. (though others disagree)

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have considered the 11x8 many times for the vaquero.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found that concentrics seemed to work beter than the DD’s on all of my Tesoros for discrimination, but it’s especially so on the 5 pin models (which I like better for discrimination- both range and accuracy). If I’m wanting better depth as well as more ground coverage, a Tejon or Vaquero with a bigger Widescan (DD) comes along - but they’re not my favorites in trashy spots.

The places I usually detect are often trashy with foil, pulltabs, bullet shells, lead, and steel bottle caps.
5 pin models with the smaller concentrics do the trick for me - especially the Bandido II ÎĽMAX, Outlaw- (recently sold mine) Silver Sabre - and Eldorado. Got a couple of my favorite Tesoro, so the others, while still excellent too, usually take a back seat to a Bandido.

BTW - My two favorite coils on the Eldorado (and all 5 pin models) are the (stock) 8” donut and 5.75” (only in a concentric for 5 pin).

While I have the 7” concentric on my Mojave, I have not tested it on other models - though no doubt it’ll be excellent too.

I don’t recommend any DD coil for the 5 pin Tesoros, but there may be some highly mineralized places where someone else may like them. I think that even the small concentrics work fine for me in those spots. Even hot rocks can quickly be spotted by their sort of double tone - and then by toggling over to all-metal where they’ll “null” on approach. Easy-peasy - no DD needed.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t recommend any DD coil for the 5 pin Tesoros, but there may be some highly mineralized places where someone else may like them. I think that even the small concentrics work fine for me in those spots. Even hot rocks can quickly be spotted by their sort of double tone - and then by toggling over to all-metal where they’ll “null” on approach. Easy-peasy - no DD needed.

One 5-pin DD worth considering is the 3x18 "cleansweep", if only because Tesoro stopped making it for the 4-pin machines for some reason. It's definitely not the best coil for a trashy area, but on a beach or large sports field... pretty sweet!

-Ken

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I found that concentrics seemed to work beter than the DD’s on all of my Tesoros for discrimination, but it’s especially so on the 5 pin models (which I like better for discrimination- both range and accuracy). If I’m wanting better depth as well as more ground coverage, a Tejon or Vaquero with a bigger Widescan (DD) comes along - but they’re not my favorites in trashy spots.

The places I usually detect are often trashy with foil, pulltabs, bullet shells, lead, and steel bottle caps.
5 pin models with the smaller concentrics do the trick for me - especially the Bandido II ÎĽMAX, Outlaw- (recently sold mine) Silver Sabre - and Eldorado. Got a couple of my favorite Tesoro, so the others, while still excellent too, usually take a back seat to a Bandido.

BTW - My two favorite coils on the Eldorado (and all 5 pin models) are the (stock) 8” donut and 5.75” (only in a concentric for 5 pin).

While I have the 7” concentric on my Mojave, I have not tested it on other models - though no doubt it’ll be excellent too.

guessing you will never let go of that "mojave!" not after scoring the gold this year! i got a mojave,and that 7" coil
is a great little coil. i do a lot of curb strips,and totters. keep the mojave with me all the time while cruisin' around.
perfect set up with my small tesoro pouch,wilcox 50s digger,jimmy sierra coin popper,garrett carrot,and brass probe.
always ready to rock when i spy a totter,or curb strip.it seems the 'lower priced" tesoros are the ones that kept 'em alive.
best bang for the buck in the industry compadre,silver u-max,and the "sleeper" mojave.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
One 5-pin DD worth considering is the 3x18 "cleansweep", if only because Tesoro stopped making it for the 4-pin machines for some reason. It's definitely not the best coil for a trashy area, but on a beach or large sports field... pretty sweet!

-Ken

i have heard this! now i am hearing it again! scuttlebutt says it gets down around 4" or so,
BUT it sucks up clad like no other! great for wide open ball fields.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I will give it another try before I condemn it.... maybe they will trade for a 7” concentric lol

yeah! maybe they will! that's the spirit! all they can do is say no!
can't win if ya don't play! in the interests of "good public relations"
they should help you out! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have heard this! now i am hearing it again! scuttlebutt says it gets down around 4" or so,
BUT it sucks up clad like no other! great for wide open ball fields.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

It's certainly no depth monster, but I think it'll hit coins and rings down to 5 or 6". A lot may depend on the ground conditions, though.

-Ken

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
yup! if it gets down 5 or 6 that's enough for me! it will do the job!
i got mild soil.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions