Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
cjprice said:
What are your thoughts on these two. Looking for a good, light back-up for my DFX. Coin shooting, and relic hunting mainly. I'm also in Southwest Florida if that helps. I've heard good things about both of them.

Thanks!!!

Chris
Cape Coral, FL

Personally I'd buy a Silver uMax as I believe it gets the same depth as the Cibola (from what Cibola owners have told me).

Put a 12x10 concentric coil on that uMax and it will beat your DFX in depth.

That's my 2 cents...

Badger

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
cjprice,

Well I guess I agree with "Michigan Badger". Given the fact that you are interested in a backup machine and coin and relic hunting The Silver is a good choice. Read some of the other posts here on the forum concerning the Silver, It's a killer machine, especially if you are not into a lot of "whistles and bells". If I can help you further, PM me. Joe

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Let you in on a secret . . . the Silver Umax is as good or better than the rest - but don't tell anyone else, okay? :D

I'm very picky and I use the Silver Umax every day.

Ian

OP
OP
cjprice

cjprice

May 21, 2006
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Tesoro Silver Umax
Thanks for the Great information! I've read most of the posts listed on this site, and I will be going with the Silver Umax.

Again thanks!

I truly appreciate all of your input. I love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Attachments

• pirates-for-hire-shirt.jpg
    pirates-for-hire-shirt.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,152

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard great things about the UMAX but don't own one but I do have a cibola and it is a great machine.Good all around detector .A friend borrowed mine for a few days and then ordered one. He was shocked that he was actually finding stuff.Both good machines with a life time warranty. ;) I knew one guy that hunted with a umax and he complaned about the deepth with the stock coil .I offered to buy it from him and he said he would think about and let me know and he never called me with an answer . :'(

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris,
I can't say enough about the Silver Umax. I used to use the older model Tesoro Cutlass then bought a Silver Umax. The stock coil was great, but I added a 9x8 DD coil for even more depth. These machines is unbelievable! Tesoro's are known for being great relic finding machines.
Good luck.
-MM-

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Go to: http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/hoard_test.htm

There you will find the Cibola mentioned. It appears that it may be one of the deepest coinhunters on the planet. Period. It was the ony detector that even remotely found a deep approx 1/2" coin in undisturbed ground at or around 3". You will find it in a box on the bottom of the site. It was written by someone who knows their detecting. It's an additionaltest besides the one that Garys did.

A Sov GT, Cibola, Xterra 50, and an XP Goldmax were used. ONLY the Cibola even got close to finding that coin.

Enjoy.

OP
OP
cjprice

cjprice

May 21, 2006
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the information!!!

I was wondering who ya'll would recommend to buy from.

I plan on buying online (no taxes, and free delivery!!!!!). It seems like the best price is $239.00 for the uMax, and $340 for the Cibola, anyone hear of any better deals out there?????

Also WHAT is a HIGH TONE Cibola?????

Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• th_MetalDetecting.gif
    th_MetalDetecting.gif
    52.9 KB · Views: 919

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
EasyMoney said:
Go to: http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/hoard_test.htm

There you will find the Cibola mentioned. It appears that it may be one of the deepest coinhunters on the planet. Period. It was the ony detector that even remotely found a deep approx 1/2" coin in undisturbed ground at or around 3". You will find it in a box on the bottom of the site. It was written by someone who knows their detecting. It's an additionaltest besides the one that Garys did.

A Sov GT, Cibola, Xterra 50, and an XP Goldmax were used. ONLY the Cibola even got close to finding that coin.

An MXT would have found it too. I have both an MXT and a Cibola. The Cibola is a great coinshooting machine, but the MXT has an edge on it for depth.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Hey, thanks for that info. I never have actually put the MXT against a Cibola. Now I know.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
cjprice,

The "high tone" Cibola is a factory installed option.Some people want the original Tesoro sound. The "high tone" adds a min. of $15 to the price of the machine. I'm a Tesoro dealer and I find the sales of the stock and high tones run about 70% stock and 30% high tone. If I can help you further please PM me. Joe

OP
OP
cjprice

cjprice

May 21, 2006
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
Hey Joe!

I just purchased a Silver uMax from your e-bay store!!!!

I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks!
Chris
Cape Coral

OP
OP
cjprice

cjprice

May 21, 2006
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
Just received my Silver Umax from Joe(USA). I will be trying it out on my next day off at a old home site from the 1880's that I've found some nice items from with my DFX. I'm anxious to see what this little machine can pull out of the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread