How do I get my detector back?! Sent in for repairs and lost in Tesoro blackhole!

KevinKing

Jan 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The business may be closed but someone is there collecting customers' detectors (to sell?) we sent in for repairs!

I followed the instructions on the Tesoro website just weeks ago and shipped my Compadre to have it repaired. The package was delivered but I have received no email or follow-up phone call about the work needed. It has now been almost a month and I have heard nothing back from them whatsoever and I have not received my detector back. I tried calling them from my end for the past several days but no one answers. I just discovered this news about them closing the business today after searching the web for other contact methods.

If they decided to close the business they could at least have update the damn website so unwitting clients don't send their machines into a blackhole never to be seen again! How in hell do we get our metal detectors back?! Bid on them at the liquidation auction!?

The website is still NOT updated to inform people of the status of the business!

HOW MANY OTHERS HAVE SENT IN THEIR DETECTORS, NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN?!

Contact me with any information: 775X785X9800

TERRIBLE COMPANY! GOOD RIDDANCE!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are Tesoro Facebook pages I would go to one. One of them reported they did get through to someone at Tesoro and they are doing repairs but you can expect it to be a slow process.

Last edited:

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone needs to report them to the attorney general of AZ. They need to let there future plans known so people can know what to expect instead of giving them the silent treatment.

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are at MINIMUM staffing and there is more work than they know what to do with thus creating a backlog. I called before I sent mine in and was warned it could take a while. I last spoke with a rep yesterday (Jan 28). I do agree that the website should be updated to make people aware.

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
They are at MINIMUM staffing and there is more work than they know what to do with thus creating a backlog. I called before I sent mine in and was warned it could take a while. I last spoke with a rep yesterday (Jan 28). I do agree that the website should be updated to make people aware.

Apparently Sir you are their latest communication vehicle to the outside world . Thank you for posting this latest update . I hope your wait for your detector isn't too much longer .

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007

better late than never?..never say never!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering what's going on, a few weeks is not enough time to expect it back. In the good ole' days when someone answered the phone there it still took 2-3 weeks. Same time frame for a Garrett repair I had.

Attorney general? Forget that. There is nothing that states they have a time limit on a repair. I would just keep up with trying to contact them. Unless you see a bankruptcy notice in the local newspapers, they should come through ok.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Received a Mojave yesterday. It is typical Tesoro. Light weight and no frills.
Gave it a try out this morning.

A depth monster it is not but never the less it can find our Aussie coins at approx 8 or 9 inches in dry sandy ground which is ok for a 6 inch concentric.
The discrim works well and can be set to give a signal that is fairly accurate on steel bottle caps without loosing sensitivity to gold and silver.
I tried the two GB modes (High & Low minerals) and did not notice any change in depth between the two settings.
Neither mode could knock out heavy iron mineralisation, so I would not bother trying to use the Mojave in the gold fields, it is a coin, relic & jewellery machine with performance similar to the Compadre.
There is no pinpoint mode but I found the small coil to be pretty accurate at pinpointing.
Setting the disc above foil will loose small low grade gold. I found half way between iron and foil to be about right but if you want to cherry pick your targets then you can set the disc wherever you like.
There is no volume control and the vol can be quite loud so use a set of HPs with vol control.
The Mojave is a nice little detector that you can keep in the car for those random quicky detects. It would be a great first detector for the kids.
If you already own a Compadre or any other Tesoro vlf machine then I doubt that you will need the Mojave unless you want absolute simplicity with fair to good performance.....Don't race out and try to compare the Mojave to an Equinox or Deus or LST or Gold Bug . They are in a different league.
I like it and it found a nice sil ring and 25 cents this morning in about 15 minutes.

It would be nice to know what has happened to Tesoro because their silence is creating enemies out of people who were once strong Tesoro Followers.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
perfect application for the mojave is 'curb strips" and totters with gridded out ''small" sections of parks too.
the 7" coil is great for concentrated "intense" small area hunting.the lightweight and "decent"
disc.make it a
great detector to have with you ''scouting" for easements and totters to hit. i keep mine with me all the time.
it is so compact with my tool belt,their is no reason not to have one with you.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Considering what's going on, a few weeks is not enough time to expect it back. In the good ole' days when someone answered the phone there it still took 2-3 weeks. Same time frame for a Garrett repair I had.

Attorney general? Forget that. There is nothing that states they have a time limit on a repair. I would just keep up with trying to contact them. Unless you see a bankruptcy notice in the local newspapers, they should come through ok.

Lifetime warranty turns into a lifetime repair. Sorry, I just don't have any patience for this type of mismanagement.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree it can take weeks with other manufacturers but Tesoro needs to take a day and just touch base with the people who did send in their products. Kind of a turn off for future purchases......if there even is a future for them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the big question, is there a future for them?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They must see some sort of future, even if just planning to sell the company. If not, why continue with repairs?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point, pinenut, plus I look for an article of bankruptcy which would be the legal go to, and could not find any.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copied this from a Facebook post today.

Just to keep everyone updated: I just got off the phone with vince. So as of today, they are still open and working on machines. He did indicate that there is a pretty sizable backlog on both machines to be worked on and those repaired and ready to be sent out. He is working on both in order of date received. Sounds like my silver is one of the next in line to be shipped out so I'm crossing my fingers. A little more than two months turnaround is what I had heard from some folks when I sent mine in and looks like that's about what it's going to wind up being for my experience as well.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
from what you say,it sounds like vince and maybe another tech are trying their best to save the company.
looks like they are busting a gut trying to keep open! god bless 'em hope they can keep going!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

latham

Jan 8, 2018
milford kansas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, tesoro silver umax, tesoro outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah that is my facebook posting. It is frustrating that its taking so long for repair but at least the doors are still open. I think they are working as hard as they can and the fact that they are still open and doing warranty repairs hopefully means that they have something going for the future. Only time will tell.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah that is my facebook posting. It is frustrating that its taking so long for repair but at least the doors are still open. I think they are working as hard as they can and the fact that they are still open and doing warranty repairs hopefully means that they have something going for the future. Only time will tell.

It just may be that they have to keep doing warranty repairs until all of their stock is depleted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread