Tesoro Tejon (and similar) battery questions

Slim382ms

Feb 3, 2019
Southeast MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro TĆ©jon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iā€™m not able to get to my workbench to test this and was wondering if anyone checked draw in mA on these detectors?
I run my detector pretty hot, and I get about 2 and a half days of hunting (12-16hrs Iā€™m guessing).
What are you guys getting?
Iā€™ve bought enough batteries over the years to buy yet another detector, lol.
Iā€™m considering a swap to LiPo OR LiFe. I have seen other do this but Iā€™m planning a slightly different approach. Iā€™m gathering data at this point and compiling a materials list.
Iā€™ll definitely share once Iā€™m done- should have it completed in the next week or so.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II Ī¼MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was changing mine after about 16 hrs. Used it about 4 days, about 4 hrs each time, then changed ā€˜em out. That was with Duracels, BTW.
They do eat lots more batteries compared to the single 9v Tesoros.

OP
OP
Slim382ms

Slim382ms

Feb 3, 2019
Southeast MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro TĆ©jon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thankes Pinenut. Iā€™m going to post the current draw this week sometime. Good to know Iā€™m in the range for expected battery life!

I was changing mine after about 16 hrs. Used it about 4 days, about 4 hrs each time, then changed ā€˜em out. That was with Duracels, BTW.
They do eat lots more batteries compared to the single 9v Tesoros.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually get a bit more than 20 hours on mine using Energizers. At that point I only get two beeps on the battery check and replace the batteries. I'm not sure if I'm running my machine "hot" though... I thought the Tejon kind of ran hot by definition and couldn't really be super-tuned (?)

-Ken

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II Ī¼MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe ā€œhotā€ means more negative on the ground balance - and more ā€œchattyā€. That probably does run batteries down a little faster if the machine is talking more. I usually run all my Tesoros a little bit chatty (a bit negative on GB). If theyā€™re too quiet, I think theyā€™re not working right.. ^_^

OP
OP
Slim382ms

Slim382ms

Feb 3, 2019
Southeast MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro TĆ©jon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually get a bit more than 20 hours on mine using Energizers. At that point I only get two beeps on the battery check and replace the batteries. I'm not sure if I'm running my machine "hot" though... I thought the Tejon kind of ran hot by definition and couldn't really be super-tuned (?)

-Ken

Yes, like pinenut said, I just keep the ground balance about 1/4 turn negative.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i got the Tejon i first used normal alkaline batteries but after a while i switched to rechargeables. I never had the feeling that they gave me a different result but what i did was charging the batteries after each hunt (my hunt last +- 6 hours). Only in winter i only used normal alkaine batteries instead of rechargeables.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The negative ground balance probably explains the difference in battery life. I usually balance my Tejon to neutral; it seems plenty deep enough that way, and still mutters to itself a bit.

-Ken

OP
OP
Slim382ms

Slim382ms

Feb 3, 2019
Southeast MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro TĆ©jon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Answers here

4639C048-9079-4F1B-B12A-4E8F64E237DC.jpeg
39.2 mA @ rest

C944E8D5-6B94-4C34-969C-0D1B12FF41A1.jpeg
93.2 mA with load.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1/4 turn negative on the GB here too. It is my only gripe about the Tejon. It's a battery eating maching! Goes deep though

OP
OP
Slim382ms

Slim382ms

Feb 3, 2019
Southeast MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro TĆ©jon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1/4 turn negative on the GB here too. It is my only gripe about the Tejon. It's a battery eating maching! Goes deep though

Yep, for sure!
Iā€™m trying to conquer the battery problem, got an ā€œoutside the boxā€ idea Iā€™m working on. Should be done tonight or tomorrow.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was actually thinking of making an external power supply attached to my belt and connected through a coiled wire to the box. :icon_thumleft: If I had the time to do!

My battery of choice would be a hacked RnB Innovations battery designed for the Whites detectors (12 volts, HP 3100)...just thinking! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Slim382ms

Slim382ms

Feb 3, 2019
Southeast MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro TĆ©jon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was actually thinking of making an external power supply attached to my belt and connected through a coiled wire to the box. :icon_thumleft: If I had the time to do!

My battery of choice would be a hacked RnB Innovations battery designed for the Whites detectors (12 volts, HP 3100)...just thinking! :occasion14:

As soon as I get the kids in bed Iā€™m firing up the soldering iron- implementation of my master plan begins tonight, lol. Iā€™ll post a separate thread later tonight when Iā€™m ā€œsemi-finishedā€.

OP
OP
Slim382ms

Slim382ms

Feb 3, 2019
Southeast MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro TĆ©jon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hereā€™s my plan, prototype implemented. Dewalt tool LiPo battery.
Iā€™m using an LM317 to regulate the voltage to 13v. I had to buy one of those adapters for using the newer dewalt batteries in older tools. The reason I had to use this is that dewalt doesnā€™t integrate battery low voltage cutoff circuitry into its battery, itā€™s in the tool. Other manufacturers integrate this into the batteries.
9FCA9A14-24B6-4CA7-88A3-DD502EFC8405.jpeg
I ran it through a discharge cycle after I assembled it. I used 60 mA since this is what the Tejon consumes. I got about 18hrs (I think, I hooked it up late last night and didnā€™t check the time). Iā€™m going to mount this box to the shaft using some large zip ties for now. Once I decide if I want to keep it, Iā€™ll integrate this into the battery holder in the Tejon. I think this will be much easier since I use dewalt tools every day, and always have at least 3 of these batteries fully charged. The battery used here is a 1500mah. I have the larger ones, 5000mah, but I think that they might be a bit heavy for swinging for hours st a time.
Great thing about this setup is that the battery slides off easily, no disassembly, then right into the charger.
717185A9-6CA7-4339-86D9-440BE2556F4D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slim382ms

Slim382ms

Feb 3, 2019
Southeast MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro TĆ©jon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Onece I integrate this setup on my detector, Iā€™ll post up a how to. Itā€™s really dead simple. Iā€™m not going to leave this big box on my detector, this is only for prototyping.

Last edited:

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get two sets of eneloops. Even one set will work if you charge them overnight while you are not hunting. They seem to run at least as long as alkalines and can be recharged hundreds of times. No modifications are necessary. I paid $18 for 8 of the 2000mah ones. When I bought my first Pentax digital single lens reflex camera, it came with alkaline batteries but the instruction manual said they were just to set up the camera and that they would not support everything the camera would do. It said to buy rechargeable NiMH. The older rechargeable NiMH ones would lose a charge about as fast as the camera would use the ones installed but the new ones hold most of their charge for over a year. The only difference i get with my Tejon is less beeps on startup.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get two sets of eneloops. Even one set will work if you charge them overnight while you are not hunting. They seem to run at least as long as alkalines and can be recharged hundreds of times. No modifications are necessary. I paid $18 for 8 of the 2000mah ones. When I bought my first Pentax digital single lens reflex camera, it came with alkaline batteries but the instruction manual said they were just to set up the camera and that they would not support everything the camera would do. It said to buy rechargeable NiMH. The older rechargeable NiMH ones would lose a charge about as fast as the camera would use the ones installed but the new ones hold most of their charge for over a year. The only difference i get with my Tejon is less beeps on startup.

I wonder if it is as deep as a fully charged set of alkalines. The Tejon definitely loses depth as the number of beeps at startup drops. 5 beeps is as low as I like to go on mine.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it is as deep as a fully charged set of alkalines. The Tejon definitely loses depth as the number of beeps at startup drops. 5 beeps is as low as I like to go on mine.

3-4 beeps & I change the batteries , (I always try to carry spares ) I use Duracell , Energizer, but I like Energizer Lithium they work well but , when they die ; they die Quick.

Just thinking 'using HP's ' I get about 20 hours on all the battery types I use.
FWIW

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google aa batteries vs NiMH. "1.5V" vs. ""1.2V" batteries EZnec pretty much sums up the case. With flash photography, a high drain situation, NiMH batteries outlast alkaline by a considerable extent, recharge the flash much faster and are much cheaper in the long run. The beeps on a Tejon are calibrated for alkaline batteries which have lost most of their amperage at a certain voltage. NiMH batteries hold their amps much longer. I ran rechargeable batteries in my T2 until it absolutely shut down while digging a dime at approximately 6 inches. I didn't know it had quit until it seemed to quiet and when I looked at the screen, it was blank. Air testing in my house with all the wifi, fluorescent lights, etc., I can see no difference in depth between new alkaline and some eneloop rechargeable that have been used for 4 hours one day in my Tejon.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use rechargeables for my AA machines. No they won't last as long as a set of alkalines, but I get what seems like unlimited charges out of them.
I use them for a hunt, then recharge before next hunt.
Or get enough for 2 sets and then you can run them longer without worrying about running dead in the middle of a hunt. However, I don't think you can kill a fully charged set in one hunt. I never have. And if you too them off when you get home or before going out again, they're always full.
Eneloop white (or special edition colors all besides black) say you can get 2100 recharges. That's like 40 years if charged once a week lol. So 8 years if you charge 5x a week or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread