anyone ever find a gold coin with your tesoro?

latham

Jan 8, 2018
milford kansas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, tesoro silver umax, tesoro outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While its rare, Ive occasionally seen people in my state/area find a gold coin here and there. Has anyone here ever found one with their Tesoro? If so, where did it disc out at? I am aware that most gold jewelry discs out somewhere in the tab range or lower due to the other metals mixed in with gold jewelry. Was just wondering if a solid gold coin would disc out higher than a piece of jewelry that isnt pure gold. I have some permissions in my town that have yielded some old seated coins and barbers and just want to make sure Im not passing up potential greatness. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found two with my Cibola. First was on the beach after hurricane sandy, I always have the discriminator set on minimum but it blew my ears off.

Second one was also at a beach, but a lot deeper, maybe 6 inches, it also blew my ears off. I have the discriminator to remove small iron only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
latham

latham

Jan 8, 2018
milford kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice. Congrats on finding two! So if you were to just lay the coin on top of the ground and scan it, do you know where the signal drops out? Id love to know as I normally do not hunt in low disc due to lots of old trash in most areas I hunt.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bumped up the thread "The Sea Gave Back it's Treasure Today". My first gold coin found with Cibola is shown there. And no to your question, as I relic hunt I dig it all, sometimes the big iron too.

OP
OP
latham

latham

Jan 8, 2018
milford kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet coins! Im dying to find one! FYI, I did talk to some folks who have also found gold coins and it sounds like they normally drop out somewhere between tab and zinc.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's probably correct. I dug this bigger size aluminum sounding target a couple years ago deep on a wet sand beach with the Cibola and it sounded a little funny, as in not big enough for a can. It was a huge man's diamond and gold ring.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not yet on the gold coins.. Found a meaty gold bracelet, a men’s wedding band and a couple gold earrings though. Did the dance for each one of ‘em. Still looking for that gold coinage. It’ll come.

Arkie

Feb 16, 2017
NE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, I found an 1856 Quarter Eagle last year,(my avatar) about 5" deep in perfect condition using my Lobo Super Traq.

Round coil
Disc 3
Definite good signal
Coin was positioned flat in plug
Open pasture relic hunting
Old homesite long gone
No modern trash on site

I have and use 7 Tesoro models, the LST has made my best finds over the past 20 years. None of the 7 have ever had to go to the shop. I also use a Deus 5.2 X35 and an Etrac but have yet to make a find that any of my Tesoros would not have found.

If I could have only one detector? as of 3-07-19 it would still be a Tesoro. People don't understand that unless they've used one.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but once i found 11 golden rings in a 2 year period with my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. I never found gold with my Xp Deus and Equinox 800. So it must be more then just luck. That's why i still keep this machine.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, but once i found 11 golden rings in a 2 year period with my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. I never found gold with my Xp Deus and Equinox 800. So it must be more then just luck. That's why i still keep this machine.

My experience is similar. In the eighteen months I've been using Tesoros, I've found 5 items of gold jewelry. In the twenty years before that, I used Garretts and Minelabs and found exactly zilch gold of any sort.

Way back when, I did find two gold coins; one with a Compass Magnum 320 and the other with a Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro. It might be a coincidence that all the gold I've found has been with analog machines, but I have my doubts :happysmiley:

I'll try to find time this weekend to see where the gold coins discriminate out on a Tesoro.

-Ken

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick, everybody go out and buy every last new Tesoro you can and maybe the company won't go under.

No, you don't have to do this, but...I really did get two Tejons this last 10 days. The 2nd came yesterday and I haven't unboxed it yet. I wanted that model and decided two get the second one just in case the first one breaks. I'll probably be 90 if and when that happens. I'm still cleaning the mudd off the first one Tommybuckets "baptized". He got a CW eagle breast plate, some minies and other "stuff" with it. I don't think he got any buttons, but hey, with a breastplate, who cares?

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Yes, I found an 1856 Quarter Eagle last year,(my avatar) about 5" deep in perfect condition using my Lobo Super Traq.

Round coil
Disc 3
Definite good signal
Coin was positioned flat in plug
Open pasture relic hunting
Old homesite long gone
No modern trash on site

I have and use 7 Tesoro models, the LST has made my best finds over the past 20 years. None of the 7 have ever had to go to the shop. I also use a Deus 5.2 X35 and an Etrac but have yet to make a find that any of my Tesoros would not have found.

If I could have only one detector? as of 3-07-19 it would still be a Tesoro. People don't understand that unless they've used one.

this is ''dead nuts accurate!" people just do NOT understand,UNLESS
they have used tesoros,and "learned" the audio nuances associated with them
in the field.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found about 150 Civil War buttons with the Tesoros...but the stuff has to be in the ground to begin with.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick, everybody go out and buy every last new Tesoro you can and maybe the company won't go under.

No, you don't have to do this, but...I really did get two Tejons this last 10 days. The 2nd came yesterday and I haven't unboxed it yet. I wanted that model and decided two get the second one just in case the first one breaks. I'll probably be 90 if and when that happens. I'm still cleaning the mudd off the first one Tommybuckets "baptized". He got a CW eagle breast plate, some minies and other "stuff" with it. I don't think he got any buttons, but hey, with a breastplate, who cares?

Hey Smokey,
Your example inspired me to pick up another Cibola - for sale here in the classifieds. I'd been wondering about a bigger coil on my older Cibola - not for more depth, but to cover more ground. Here was the black Cibola NIB with the larger DD coil used on the Black model, and the entire unit for only 100 more than if I had bought the coil alone. Just bought it last night. Nice to have a spare when they are not making more. Of course, I do hope the company manages to rise from the ashes.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience is similar. In the eighteen months I've been using Tesoros, I've found 5 items of gold jewelry. In the twenty years before that, I used Garretts and Minelabs and found exactly zilch gold of any sort.

Way back when, I did find two gold coins; one with a Compass Magnum 320 and the other with a Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro. It might be a coincidence that all the gold I've found has been with analog machines, but I have my doubts :happysmiley:

I'll try to find time this weekend to see where the gold coins discriminate out on a Tesoro.

-Ken

That's the problem : i had 6 other different Tesoro's but the Lobo Super Traq is the only one where i can disc out pull tabs, beaver tabs and still find the gold. The other machines have their discrimination for pul tabs and beaver tails much higher.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the problem : i had 6 other different Tesoro's but the Lobo Super Traq is the only one where i can disc out pull tabs, beaver tabs and still find the gold. The other machines have their discrimination for pul tabs and beaver tails much higher.

So on the Lobo, pull tabs will discriminate out before rings? That's really interesting! Most gold rings I've found are quite small, and will disc out somewhere between Foil and U.S. 5 Cent. I don't know how the Lobo's circuitry would allow them to sound off while pull tabs are rejected but I'm definitely intrigued :-)

-Ken

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So on the Lobo, pull tabs will discriminate out before rings? That's really interesting! Most gold rings I've found are quite small, and will disc out somewhere between Foil and U.S. 5 Cent. I don't know how the Lobo's circuitry would allow them to sound off while pull tabs are rejected but I'm definitely intrigued :-)

-Ken

When you disc out pull tabs you will sometimes lose very small gold rings (like a gold childs ring, +- 0.5 gram) but normal gold jewelry you still pick up. I can say that 75% of the pull tabs are disc out and the other 25% not but from this 25% you can hear if it is a pull tab or not. These results only count with the normal 8x9 and 10x5 coil from Tesoro. If i use my 10x12 coil from Tesoro i have to put my disc much higher to lose the pulltabs and then i also lose the gold.

Whimpster

Jan 30, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Teknetics G2
E-Trac
Tesoro,Bandido II uMax,Silver uMax,Silver Sabre uMax
Tesoro,Eldorado small plastic box.
Compadre 8" coil ,Compadre 5.75"coil.
Tesoro Golden uMax new and old tone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this treasure last year...find of a lifetime...Golden Micro Max. 6984.jpg

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whimpster, that's an awesome find!

Peter67, thanks for the info on the rings. Most of the ones I've found have been on the small side, except for a man's 10K ring that does discriminate out at around the Pull Tab mark.

Back to the original question, I did some tests with my Golden Umax on a number of gold coins. Here's where they discriminate out:

Quarter Eagle : Right at the 5 Cent mark
British Half Sovereign : Slightly above the 5 Cent mark
Canadian $5 (similar to a Half Eagle) : At the Pull Tab mark
Huge 1oz coin : Does not discriminate out even at maximum

The coins are in order of size, so it appears that the bigger the coin, the higher it will tend to discriminate out. I think that any gold coin we have a realistic chance of finding will disc out somewhere between 5 Cent and Pull Tab.

Hope this helps.

-Ken

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whimpster, that's an awesome find!

Peter67, thanks for the info on the rings. Most of the ones I've found have been on the small side, except for a man's 10K ring that does discriminate out at around the Pull Tab mark.

Back to the original question, I did some tests with my Golden Umax on a number of gold coins. Here's where they discriminate out:

Quarter Eagle : Right at the 5 Cent mark
British Half Sovereign : Slightly above the 5 Cent mark
Canadian $5 (similar to a Half Eagle) : At the Pull Tab mark
Huge 1oz coin : Does not discriminate out even at maximum

The coins are in order of size, so it appears that the bigger the coin, the higher it will tend to discriminate out. I think that any gold coin we have a realistic chance of finding will disc out somewhere between 5 Cent and Pull Tab.

Hope this helps.

-Ken

agreed

I think the smallest ladies gold ring I found was just above foil, but honestly I don't think I'd lose sleep if I missed it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread