Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I bought a compadre last spring for my son to use. In total probably less than 20 hours of use. It has the 8” donut.

On several occasions now, it will false when bumped. At first just thought it was the wire. Re wound it and it was fine for a bit. Then another trip, same thing. Then many trips where I alone used it. No issues. Made good finds. It’s usually not what I use so I put it through some paces and really came to like it.

A couple weeks ago we planned an all day exploration and hunt and an old limestone mortar quarry. My cousin to carry the compadre. Wouldn’t have it. New battery, miles from civilization, false on a blade of grass. Took time with it. Still doing it to this day. I now have it off the shaft for further tests. I have seen other posts and videos of this same crap! Not cool! If I trace it down to the coil, can I just solder another 8” on? Be way quicker than waiting or finding someone to fix it.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of the battery not fitting tight and moving around. Guy said he packed foam padding either at end or across top. Just a thought.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, one thing I did not check always the battery pins

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would try bench testing. With it turned on and laying on your table/bench, try moving things to see what’ll make it beep. Could be something really simple.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would try bench testing. With it turned on and laying on your table/bench, try moving things to see what’ll make it beep. Could be something really simple.
With a little searching, seems to be kinda common sadly with the compadre and 8” coil. I have come across a handful of similar accounts of this... hopefully I figure it out, it’s a great little detector for quick revealing hunts to see what a new site is all about. And like all Tesoros it’s super light and balanced perfectly. Mine will clean the dirt down to 6” pretty easy.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a little searching, seems to be kinda common sadly with the compadre and 8” coil. I have come across a handful of similar accounts of this... hopefully I figure it out, it’s a great little detector for quick revealing hunts to see what a new site is all about. And like all Tesoros it’s super light and balanced perfectly. Mine will clean the dirt down to 6” pretty easy.

I bought a Compadre recently with the 5.75 and it just looked too small. I sold it for what I paid and got a mint Compadre with 8" for same price. It just takes up too much time searching areas with those little coils and time is money...lol

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Compadre recently with the 5.75 and it just looked too small. I sold it for what I paid and got a mint Compadre with 8" for same price. It just takes up too much time searching areas with those little coils and time is money...lol

..but that little coil works better when there’s lots of trash around. It’ll help separate that coin from the bottle cap it’s right next to. Time may be money but I’m in it to relax and have fun.
Our household has a total of three Compadres, all used by my kids. Two 8”, one 5.75”. All seem to find around the same stuff when we’re out together (of course, dad finds better stuff.. ^_^).

BTW - just found two rings last time out, a couple days ago - using the little coil (on a Bandido). That area is pretty trashy where I dug both rings. Not saying I couldn’t have used the 8” there too; I do in fact, take the 8” there as well. Something about that 5.75 though..

Last edited:

DOWNANDOUT

Greenie
Oct 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi used to work for Tesoro ,your problem sounds like a coil problem.Turn on the machine and squezze the coil if it beeps its a shielding or iinternal busswire problem

DOWNANDOUT

Greenie
Oct 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as You Might Know I was Kicked Off Forums `Saying` Tesoro Laid Off The Their Employes`Well it was true,Mr Terry Soloman apoly was well welcomed. God Bless and Happy Hunting.And Mr Rusty Henry is taking me Gold Hunting

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Compadre is coming to the field in the morning for testing. My house and yard has insane emi.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi used to work for Tesoro ,your problem sounds like a coil problem.Turn on the machine and squezze the coil if it beeps its a shielding or iinternal busswire problem

Would you be willing to talk a guy through repair if need be? I’m a technical guy. Been a wrench for 15 years.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update: confirmed failure in 8” donut. With coil and control housing removed from shaft, place in yard and test with nickel at all metal. Was working fine. Began moving coil around and bumping edges. Still quiet. Grab mounting ears and flex, bam. Found it. If the ears are flexed in any direction it give a clear hit. Now, what’s the best plan of action here? I need a new coil.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Think I would buy a new coil... second hand... or call Rusty..

G

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a handful on 5 pin coils. Just not another 8. Wonder how a 9x8 would act?

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
At some point you may need to have the coil tuned to the detector but more likely than not will work fine.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have mild dirt. Usually 58-61 on the t2. That’s usually when it’s ok to change right?

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
Think it would do fine in the mild dirt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread