Scored used vaquero

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the new machine! :icon_thumleft:

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love my vaquero. Takes a beating. 5.75 concentric never comes off.

OP
OP
Hot zone

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the light weight, but use the heavy tiger shark when rain showers are about... I did try my clean sweep coil and covered a lot of ground then switched back to stock coil when It got trashy... finding coins and nails in same hole didn't ever happen with minelab...

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m not sure anything beats Tesoro discrimination.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discrimination is great on Tesoro. I like it better then on my Deus or Equinox. Only problem is that for coin shooting the Deus or Equinox are better then the Tesoro's. I had permission for private a property where a lot of people came the last years, it had the size of a football field. It never had been detected before. I found about 300 euro in modern coins in 5 hunts. The first hunt i used the Lobo Super Traq and the second hunt the Vaquero. I found about 150 euro and then i almost didn't found anything more. Then i used the combination of the Deus and the Equinox and start finding coins again for another 150 euro. But i have to say that the Lobo Super Traq is the only detector that found me so much gold due to the perfect discrimination. I will never find so much gold with my Deus or Equinox.
That makes it so difficult for me to choose between my Tesoro or XP and Minelab. If i take my Tesoro i have a chance on gold but there will be still a lott of modern coins left in the ground. If i take my Xp or Minelab i will find almost all the coins but i will miss the gold.

Last edited:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$160? You stole that Vaq :headbang: I paid $325 for a barely used one. No regrets.

OP
OP
Hot zone

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The discriminator + manual ground balancing 1/4 turn negative is the bomb! The clean sweep coil was noisy tho until I realized It was interference with my own cell phone!

OP
OP
Hot zone

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was air testing a quarter in all metal and got 11.5 " in freq 1, 12" in freq 2, and just 10" in freq 3... guess I know what freq to use!!! It also hit on a tiny #8 birdshot lead... awsome!

Last edited:

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon's just take too many batteries. I love the one 9v Tesoro's!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Have a new Vaq as well as a new Outlaw. One for the Delta coils, one for the Epsilon coils. Hard to beat overall performance of the Tesoro's..
Too bad the owner inherited a thriving company, sat on his arse and watched it go to sh*t.
Whoever can buy the Tesoro name and have the Europeans fill the control box will be in high cotton. Thought it might be
Rusty :) and maybe a few of the company’s x employees.

g

OP
OP
Hot zone

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fooled sometimes and it is a steel washer or of course pull tab or like yesterday, deep iron (a foot down) railroad spike pointing straight down... but nothing like my minelab that kept finding bent nails... I got rid of it after I passed on an obvious pull tab that another detectorist recovered to be a beautiful gold ring... Now realizing the need to dig some tabs to find gold, all that fancy readout is a gimmick... To be sure you must dig it up! One spot I had been passing on big signals, that were beer cans... I dug one every time I went there until last week I decided to dig up several and one turned out to be a 70 cent coin spill...

Secrent

Jul 4, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a new Vaquero with a 9x8 coil. Newbie, so I am trying to find out what other coil I will need before they disappear. You recommend the 5.75 concentric, is that for all around use or specific situations vs. the 9x8 situation? ty

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a new Vaquero with a 9x8 coil. Newbie, so I am trying to find out what other coil I will need before they disappear. You recommend the 5.75 concentric, is that for all around use or specific situations vs. the 9x8 situation? ty

In my opinion the 9x8 is the best allround coil from Tesoro for the Vaquero ( i alo use it on the Lobo Super Traq). Good depth and perfect for pinpointing. The 5.75 concentric is also a god coil but i only used it in very trashy places for cherry picking.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Vaquero is powerful (deep) enough to keep the 5.75 on all the time - that is, if you’re patient enough to move slowly. It covers proportionally less ground than the bigger coil - but - it’s THE coil to use when trash is heavy.

I usually take a Bandido out and wished I had the 5.75 on it a couple days ago. I tried detecting at a park I’d never been to before. I took my favorite Bandido with an 8” donut... Trash was so heavy that multiple targets under the coil all at once caused too much masking - and I dug few targets (coins). The 5.75 was what I needed there.

The 5.75 on a Vaquero actually gets better depth than on my Bandido, but unmasks (separates) just as well as the Bandido version. If you don’t need to cover ground fast - or need the additional depth of the bigger coil - or are in heavy trash - get the 5.75 concentric. The 9x8 and 5.75 concentrics are all you’re likely to need (though some like the long cleensweep coil too).

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

After several hundred hours on the v, I would say the 9x8 is super accurate, deep, and a joy to use in mild dirt. That is UNTIL you get near any iron. It loves the stuff, and I hunt in tons of iron. That’s when the 5.75 comes out. It will do 8” on coin sized targets when set up quiet and balanced. I’ve given up on supertuning and power balancing. It might impress u in tests, or in a wide open field with a few targets, but it ruined several of my hunts wrestling with it. I find 10 sens, threshold at low hum and a neutral balance is best. It can follow my T2se in iron and still pick out stuff. IMO it’s a straight relic machine. It can be frustrating for me to use disc to coin shoot around modern trash. But in iron, with minimal disc, it will do very well. Hunt with confidence with a vaquero.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread