Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’ll be simple to use!
You didn’t say if you got a gray with a 9x8 concentric coil or black one with a “Widescan” (DD), but either version will accept any of the 4 pin coils and be great at all around land use. They’re fairly deep, too. I do recommend that you use concentric coils with it for best discrimination, which is what Tesoros are all about..
If you’re going to be hitting really trashy locations, invest in one of the 4 pin 5.75 concentric coils for it. Also, unless you’re hunting in very mild soil where targets are few, keep your sensitivity setting low enough to get solid, smooth signals on large, shallow coins like quarters and halves. Experiment with the quarters on the surface and you’ll probably hear what I mean. Especially with the larger coils, sensitivity needs to be lower on shallow, large coins to get a good audible signal.
Another thing - learn to “power balance” the ground balance after you’ve used it a bit. Plenty of info online about balancing it that way and it’ll give you maximum depth when set up that way - which is more “negative” than setting it by the book. Vaquero is a very good detector - have fun!

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good unit. However being a new purchase I am concerned about warranty issues. I am not saying anything bad about the unit itself but if you did need something, I believe you would have a long waiting period on it. I hope it works out for you though. It was once my all time favorite brand and I still have a deep love for them.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the new machine! :occasion14:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I just bought a new Vaquero. I needed a lighter machine. Can't wait to try it out. Hope it is simple to use. Will let you know what I think. Have to watch some videos first.

Loved mine, my first real detector and it changed my world.
I had a large DD, the standard and the round concentric but my favorite coils were the concentrics and especially the small sniper.
All the coils paid for themselves easily and the Vaq did too...and much more.

Back in the day this guy was known for making some very

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you don't throw it in the ocean or run over it with a truck, it will probably never break. My old machine from 1989 is still kicking!

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’ll be simple to use!
You didn’t say if you got a gray with a 9x8 concentric coil or black one with a “Widescan” (DD), but either version will accept any of the 4 pin coils and be great at all around land use. They’re fairly deep, too. I do recommend that you use concentric coils with it for best discrimination, which is what Tesoros are all about..
If you’re going to be hitting really trashy locations, invest in one of the 4 pin 5.75 concentric coils for it. Also, unless you’re hunting in very mild soil where targets are few, keep your sensitivity setting low enough to get solid, smooth signals on large, shallow coins like quarters and halves. Experiment with the quarters on the surface and you’ll probably hear what I mean. Especially with the larger coils, sensitivity needs to be lower on shallow, large coins to get a good audible signal.
Another thing - learn to “power balance” the ground balance after you’ve used it a bit. Plenty of info online about balancing it that way and it’ll give you maximum depth when set up that way - which is more “negative” than setting it by the book. Vaquero is a very good detector - have fun!

I got the black with the 11X8. Hope that was the best?

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Will work fine but you will be handicapping yourself if you don't pick a concentric coil as well.

gw

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought mine, (black) after learning of Tesoros' demise. No regrets. I dug a type 2 Trime in the first week even though 'Tesoro detectors don't find silver!' Hogwash.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the black with the 11X8. Hope that was the best?

As mentioned above, the concentrics are preferred by some people. The black and gray are the same detector, they just came with different coils. The “widescan” coils cover more ground per sweep and are less affected by ground minerals but the concentrics discriminate better and pinpoint dead center. Either type will find the goods though. ^_^

Secrent

Jul 4, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought my Vaquero yesterday! After 25 years of saying I was going to get a Tesoro Dectector it was now or never. Was saddened when I read they had closed their doors, as I have followed them for a long time and just never bought one until now. Guess better late than never. I lived on Maui for 30 yrs. and was always going to get a Tiger Shark to hunt the beaches, then I moved to Oregon and was always looking at Tesoro models I could use here. Well, I started my search again when I found out they closed shop and it was a toss up between a Tejon or Vaquero. Vaquero won out, and I picked one up with the high tone option and the 9 x 8 coil. Should be getting it in a week to try out. Will be a newbie to metal detecting, but should be fun learning how to operate the Vaquero without bells & whistles to deal with, which is what I appreciate about Tesoro.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Yes the 5.75 sniper coil is good advice. HH...

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first Tesoro Vaquero not more then a couple weeks had the 5.75" concentric added to it which stays on the unit 9/10 times when I go out hunting. Best machine I have ever bought.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's truly a remarkable machine light weight, excellent unmasking, depth.
I sold mine before I really appreciated what I had. Keeping an eye out on a good used deal on a Tejon down the road. I've always said if I could find a machine with VDI that could perform just like the Vaquero I would be a happy camper. The Nox had the speed, depth, separation (pretty close)

ground balancing can be a little tricky and I dug a lot of trash (not a bad thing)

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys call them concentric but they are partially elliptical. I think that's why they get good depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread