Does anyone know what connector type is used in the 8" water coil for SandSharks?

escher

Jul 5, 2019
Europe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what connector type is used in the 8" water coil for SandSharks?

1.jpg

Here's a picture. I have tried to repair it but it's pretty fussy and I really just need a new connector. Any ideas?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with steve1357. Digikey sells Amphenol connectors (plug and receptacle). You could contact them and forward a pic of your connector...

OP
OP
E

escher

Jul 5, 2019
Europe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with steve1357. Digikey sells Amphenol connectors (plug and receptacle). You could contact them and forward a pic of your connector...

I've tried, no-one recognizes it as it's not a standard 2-pin aviation connector. The orientation groove is in the wrong position relative to the holes. It seems SandSharks have had hardwired coils for a while now, as the original manufacturer of the connectors stopped making them. I have no idea why Tesoro chose those connectors rather than something standard.

I received another large connector casing today which I stripped, and I whittled down the plastic Tesoro plug with a knife to fit inside the casing. After some very fiddly soldering and shrink tubing, I then epoxied it all in place. I'll apply some more epoxy tomorrow on the outside to get a better seal and protect the casing a bit, and post a photo.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an M16 connector (the '16' means 16mm) made by Methode. Methode quit making them which is why Tesoro went to hard-wired coils. Other companies make M16 connectors and even though M-series connectors (M16, M12, M8, etc) are supposed to be standardized there are often design tweaks that make them incompatible.

Addendum: The Methode M16 is one of the best waterproof connectors I've ever seen. I've tried for years to match its quality but no luck.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
It's an M16 connector (the '16' means 16mm) made by Methode. Methode quit making them which is why Tesoro went to hard-wired coils. Other companies make M16 connectors and even though M-series connectors (M16, M12, M8, etc) are supposed to be standardized there are often design tweaks that make them incompatible.

Addendum: The Methode M16 is one of the best waterproof connectors I've ever seen. I've tried for years to match its quality but no luck.

I used several over the years until I found this one. 3m ss, been using it for over 3 years now, submerged in saltwater. Never a issue.

user8522_pic64687_1425054778 (2).jpg

https://www.digikey.com/products/en...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

OP
OP
E

escher

Jul 5, 2019
Europe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks very much for this info; well now I know the name of what I can't find.

Anyway, here's my attempted repair job. I hope it holds up.
ll3RByE.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread