Tesoro potentiometer question

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have decided to try and fix my tiger shark myself because I think I may have it. The threshold pot has 100k marked on the side but the one in my machine is reading 300k with the pot turned all the way down and in the millions turned up.

The sensitivity pot though I can't find a marking, mine is reading 5k on my meter, is this correct?

thanks

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unless the pot is isolated you may be picking up a resistance source in another location plus the pot.

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless the pot is isolated you may be picking up a resistance source in another location plus the pot.

yeah I was afraid you would say that. I was hoping not because of the way the pot next to it was registering on my meter. But that probably makes no sense, I don't know what I am doing, just a book from the library and a bunch of youtube vids under my belt right now. I am going to try to fix anyway as soon I get the tools I need to remove the board. I will let you know.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have decided to try and fix my tiger shark myself because I think I may have it. The threshold pot has 100k marked on the side but the one in my machine is reading 300k with the pot turned all the way down and in the millions turned up.

The sensitivity pot though I can't find a marking, mine is reading 5k on my meter, is this correct?

thanks

Measure the pot across the 2 outside lugs. Wiggle the probes a bit to ensure good contact. Reverse the leads (polarity) and measure again.

Most Tesoros have a 10k sensitivity pot.

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Measure the pot across the 2 outside lugs. Wiggle the probes a bit to ensure good contact. Reverse the leads (polarity) and measure again.

Most Tesoros have a 10k sensitivity pot.
Thanks Carl. I have not been able to find anything!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread