DOWNANDOUT advice needed

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just purchased an original Conquistador. The frequency switch was replaced by the seller with a DPDT on/off/on switch. Now it only has 2 frequencies. Is this the right switch? If it is right, in what order do the wires go to the posts? Also, the Conquistador works right with my 5 ¾' and 8" coil, but with the Cleansweep coil the detector sounds off like a loud threshold, no matter whether in all metal or discrimination. The Cleansweep works fine on my Mojave and Outlaw. Any ideas why this is? Thanks for your time. Also, i know what it is like to be laid off. The bus manufacturing plant I worked for 25 years closed. It was quite a shock.

OP
OP
P

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the Conquistador apart when it started falling a bunch in discrimination. It would stop falsing when I pushed sideways on the threshold knob. I thought I might have to replace it bur ended up I did not have to do so, I sprayed Deoxit D5 inside all the potentiometers and switches and blew them out with air. There was a film like WD40 on them. When I was done, the falsing was gone and the Cleansweep coil worked like a champion. It still has only 2 frequencies but even with my detectors that have many frequencies, I seldom change it. Since the frequencies have different ground balances, I will try use this info when changing coils, that is, use my 8 inch concentric on the frequency that balances the lowest and the Cleansweep on the one that is the most positive. I should be able to adjust the interior pot to be acceptable with both. If not, then I may add a 10 turn pot on the outside. I really like this detector. It does not have the problem Monte talks about where changing discrimination causes the ground balance to change.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pots do get funky - we sometimes get dust in ‘em while digging - or sometimes slip going down steep hills (I have anyway).
Steep hills I do were often old sled runs - and a favorite of mine for old coins and jewelry.. Some are pretty steep, but you’d be surprised to see what they can hold. I think I’ve slipped and fallen a few times now. Good thing I’m round and know how to roll. Detector never really gets hurt (I’m like a drunk who doesn’t spill) but they could get some dust in ‘em that way..

Some of the pots Tesoro used can be found easily and some, like the 3-3/4t GB pots, not so easily. IF there’s room, sometimes you can substitute a pot with more turns, but not always. Tesoro used 3-3/4t pots in many detectors but I squeezed a bigger, 10t Bourns into one of my Bandido II microMAX’s. The original GB pot could possibly have been cleaned out - but I wanted a 10t in there anyway. Works super!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread