Tewsoro Vaquero High Tone?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no "High" or "Low" tone. It is the QUALITY of the tone. Is it "bell" like with clean edges, or are the edges more "buzzy" or ragged? Takes time to learn the diff!:skullflag:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure there is Terry, at one time you could send your Cibola or Vaquero back to Tesoro, and if it was under warranty, they would modify it for the high tone for $15 bucks, $50 out of warranty.

tag1260, there's several you tube videos of what a high tone Cibola and Vaquero sound like. As to how to tell, I assume you just have to turn one on. I assume the hobbyists can easily modify one, I didn't search for the instructions.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Here is my Vaq with the high tone.
I was demonstrating the wiggle and pull back pinpointing technique for somebody.
I ordered the high tone because i thought I would enjoy it more with the higher tone and it was fine until I got a Compadre and discovered I like the lower tones better.
However, I never sent it in to have it changed because over any foil from small to large that annoying buzzing sound made me grit my teeth every time.
My lower tone Compadre and Mojave don't sound the same.
A little superpower it had, for me and my hearing, anyway.

Watch the video and compare it to a million low tone Vaq vids out there.

I just saw you own a Compadre, too...the low tone on the Vaq is a bit lower than the Compadre.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tag1260

Greenie
Sep 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Looks like mine is a standard tone version.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The high-tone is quite a bit higher than the standard version. I had my standard sent in and converted about two years ago. Since I’d quit using it, my high-tone Vaquero got sold during my downsizing. Still have a high-tone Cibola though.

I prefer the high-tone to the standard tone - I just hear it better. Been using my Tejon more lately; yes, with the tone set high (it’s adjustable on a Tejon).

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems even at the highest on Tejon or with high tone mod on cibola or vaq, still not as high as the older machines like the b2 or Cutlass umax.
Still rather my vaq and cibola had the high tone mod.
Was going to sent the cibola in but Allen told me they'd completely reverse my GB mod and restore to factory and charge me for parts to do so.... So I didn't do it lol.
Wonder how easy it is. Just a component change on the board? Different speaker?
I notice my outlaw is normal on speaker but high pitched in headphones.... Weird

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I remember correctly, the big chip on my modded Vaquero had a sticker on it that read “high”. I think Tesoro swapped the big chip out on them. Guessing those are programmed with the different tone (?).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions