Any news on the new owners of tesoro yet ? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Any news on the new owners of tesoro yet ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Travis Mitchell

Feb 2016
    Elizabethtown, IN
    XP Deus ORX, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
    737 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Theres nothing to buy except the collection of electronics. Companies get bought because they have value. Value in future sales, value in intellectual property (patents) and value in the name.

Tesoro hadnt produced new technology or designs in a VERY long time. Why would a company buy outdated tech? Tesoro had very few sales. they tried to survive on the past reputation. There are people who loved the brand and the detectors, but typically those customers are old customers who have been using Tesoro for many years. You cant bring new customers with outdated decades old tech.
    I actually think you could buy the name, Rebrand the Tejon make it weatherproof and replace the metal shaft and/or control box with a plastic mold and they would sell. (I'd buy one for sure a 1 to 3 tone option) I would also do the same with the sand shark. I would not offer a life time warranty but something more like 3 to 5 years with a bench fee after. Get active in social media and you might be surprised. My Vaquero was a depth monster and could unmask a target about as good as any other machine I have used. I would drop the other models I agree I don't think you could compete with the <$300 market today.

I wonder if a guy could make metal detectors as a side business or if the cost of equipment is far too much?
    Slowtaknow likes this.

us
    BILL

Jul 2015
    s.tier NY
    TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
    1009 times
    Metal Detecting
    one would think the trademark name TESORO would have had some value..
    Slowtaknow likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    32351 times
    If any of the other manufacturers saw a value there they would have made an offer of some kind.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Jun 2006
    tn
    tesoro cibola - minelab equinox 600
    1 times
    I was just pointing this out ........ Industrial Detection Systems designs and manufactures high value metal detection systems for industrial, commercial, and military applications . IDS is a wholley owned subsidary of Tesoro Electronics........... 715 White Spar Road
    Prescott AZ 86303

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Minelab Equinox 800
    1245 times
    Perhaps the only value would have been in the name only. As the saying goes, "You snooze, You lose". That's what happens when things are left to go stagnant. They were, and still are great machines though IMHO.

Nov 2019
    10 times
    Theres nothing to buy except the collection of electronics. Companies get bought because they have value. Value in future sales, value in intellectual property (patents) and value in the name. Tesoro hadnt produced new technology or designs in a VERY long time. Why would a company buy outdated tech? Tesoro had very few sales. they tried to survive on the past reputation. There are people who loved the brand and the detectors, but typically those customers are old customers who have been using Tesoro for many years. You cant bring new customers with outdated decades old tech.
    While it may be true that Tesoro hadn't introduced any "new technology" in many many years, somehow their old technology still rivals the best "new" technology from other companies. Tesoros can go as deep as or deeper than detectors from any other company (especially any detectors in the same price range), and their discrimination can be just as good. And even with the supposed ongoing miniaturization of everything in modern products, Tesoro control units are STILL smaller and lighter than those of most other detectors as well.

Where Tesoro stumbled was never updating their solid inside-the-box technology with any spiffy new user features or designs. So even as of last year their machines looked and acted identical to Tesoro machines from the 1990s. If they had continuously improved minor issues and deficiencies in the ergonomics of their design, they could have kept pace with the big boys without ever needing to come up with any "new" technology at all.

A good comparison would be with Apple Macintosh computers. Their operating system (MacOS) is based entirely on a Unix version which was finalized in 1974 (!!!) and not fundamantally altered in any way since. And Apple's version of the Unix-based OS was introduced in 2001 -- 18 years ago. To this day, all MacOS is, throughout all its updates, is merely a pretty window-dressing on a piece of software that has remain essentially unchanged since 1974. And yet it is deemed by many to be the most user-friendly and "modern"-seeming computer operating system. Even if its fundamental "technology" is veritably ancient.

Tesoro could have done the same thing: taken its 1990s technology and made ever-better window-dressing improvements on its user experience, without ever needing to "invent new technology." If they had, for example, installed a small bluetooth antenna to allow for remote wireless headphones; installed a volume-control knob; improved the look/feel of the faceplate and all its knobs; simplified ground-balancing; shrunk down the size of the control unit even further and then advertised itself as the world's lightest and smallest detectors; etc. etc. etc., then they could have carved a solid segment of the market for themselves and attracted lots of new customers.

Alas, they did none of that, and paid the price. But the circuit-board designs for their hardware still exist somewhere, and the brand name still has some cachet. Maybe the remnants of the company aren't worth a whole lot physically or as intellectual property or as a brand name, but they're worth something. At this stage it's probably too late for anyone to buy up the remains of Tesoro, but I think that if any company (or individual) ever did, they could easily resuscitate the brand and make it successful again.
    Last edited by jamboree; Dec 07, 2019 at 03:17 PM.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8919 times
    Soooo, since you believe so strongly, why dont YOU buy the rights to the name and the designs and pick up where they left off?
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

Nov 2019
    10 times
    Soooo, since you believe so strongly, why dont YOU buy the rights to the name and the designs and pick up where they left off?
    1. Don't have the money.
    2. Don't have the technical expertise.
    3. Don't have the time. (Heck, I barely have any spare time to detect at all!)
    4. Don't have the business acumen.

But who knows, maybe some other person or company does have the money, expertise, time and acumen, and who also thinks it might be a good idea. Highly unlikely, but I can always dream!
    SanMan likes this.

Feb 2007
    158 times
    unfortunately, the tesoro metal detector company is no more!
    it was a good run! jack gifford was a brilliant man, but he always marched to
    a different drummer.he adamantly believed that audio discrimination was
    the most accurate form of discrimination,sooo he offered "limited" detectors employing
    tone technology, and i.d. technology, and even though he was RIGHT!'..this stubborn
    adherence to "single tone" audio discrimination cost him the company.he didn't live to
    see this happen, thank god! rest in peace jack gifford,you was truly one of a kind!

(h.h.!)
    j.t.

us
    Paul

Jul 2018
    NC
    Tesoro Mojave & Garrett At Pro
    211 times
    You can not give me one of those chatter box Notka-Makro's. Will drive you crazy sooner or later.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    West Coast
    AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
    4977 times
    If I won a decent lottery I would set them up again.

How about this,......

Crowd funding.

If everyone that owns a metal detector in this country gave just $1.00,.....
    Or how about a dollar for every machine you own.

That would put me in at about $55.00

What about you Jason?
    Would you kick in on some crowd funding?

I know a ton of people that would.

There's guys that find about, and over, 100 gold rings a year.
    Sure bet a lot of them would kick in a ring or two.

The last wedding band I found cashed out at $193.00

What one person can't accomplish, "We" can accomplish by working together.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8919 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SanMan View Post
    If I won a decent lottery I would set them up again.

How about this,......

Crowd funding.

If everyone that owns a metal detector in this country gave just $1.00,.....
    Or how about a dollar for every machine you own.

That would put me in at about $55.00

What about you Jason?
    Would you kick in on some crowd funding?

I know a ton of people that would.

There's guys that find about, and over, 100 gold rings a year.
    Sure bet a lot of them would kick in a ring or two.

The last wedding band I found cashed out at $193.00

What one person can't accomplish, "We" can accomplish by working together.

Hahaha, I'm sorry but thats pretty damned funny. You want to crowd fund a defunct company so that somebody else can possibly start making money from the name? If you like the Tesoro detectors so much, buy a used one. They come up for sale all the time, and seem to last a very long time.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

ca
    Oct 2016
    Canadian Eh
    Current:T2, Compadre, Vaquero, and 300i. Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
    338 times
    Metal Detecting
    WHAT!!! NO CAZADOR!!!!
    Jason in Enid and chub like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    West Coast
    AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
    4977 times
    Hahaha, I'm sorry but thats pretty damned funny. You want to crowd fund a defunct company so that somebody else can possibly start making money from the name? If you like the Tesoro detectors so much, buy a used one. They come up for sale all the time, and seem to last a very long time.
    Ahh, no.
    Put them back on their feet again.
    Give them a second bite at the apple.

I own several Tesoro machines, I had some great finds with them.

I like em'
    3cylbill likes this.

us
    Lord ringpull

Oct 2015
    Kannapolis nc
    Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex
    372 times
    I like tesoros myself but agree they needed to modernize quite a bit, a foreign company like nokta busted out with a detector that i wish they did and at a great price to boot. Garret has had nothing ground breaking imho and seem to be headed the same way. At series is nice but looks to be less for more.
    civil_war22 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links