Any news on the new owners of tesoro yet ?

jamboree

Greenie
Nov 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres nothing to buy except the collection of electronics. Companies get bought because they have value. Value in future sales, value in intellectual property (patents) and value in the name. Tesoro hadnt produced new technology or designs in a VERY long time. Why would a company buy outdated tech? Tesoro had very few sales. they tried to survive on the past reputation. There are people who loved the brand and the detectors, but typically those customers are old customers who have been using Tesoro for many years. You cant bring new customers with outdated decades old tech.

While it may be true that Tesoro hadn't introduced any "new technology" in many many years, somehow their old technology still rivals the best "new" technology from other companies. Tesoros can go as deep as or deeper than detectors from any other company (especially any detectors in the same price range), and their discrimination can be just as good. And even with the supposed ongoing miniaturization of everything in modern products, Tesoro control units are STILL smaller and lighter than those of most other detectors as well.

Where Tesoro stumbled was never updating their solid inside-the-box technology with any spiffy new user features or designs. So even as of last year their machines looked and acted identical to Tesoro machines from the 1990s. If they had continuously improved minor issues and deficiencies in the ergonomics of their design, they could have kept pace with the big boys without ever needing to come up with any "new" technology at all.

A good comparison would be with Apple Macintosh computers. Their operating system (MacOS) is based entirely on a Unix version which was finalized in 1974 (!!!) and not fundamantally altered in any way since. And Apple's version of the Unix-based OS was introduced in 2001 -- 18 years ago. To this day, all MacOS is, throughout all its updates, is merely a pretty window-dressing on a piece of software that has remain essentially unchanged since 1974. And yet it is deemed by many to be the most user-friendly and "modern"-seeming computer operating system. Even if its fundamental "technology" is veritably ancient.

Tesoro could have done the same thing: taken its 1990s technology and made ever-better window-dressing improvements on its user experience, without ever needing to "invent new technology." If they had, for example, installed a small bluetooth antenna to allow for remote wireless headphones; installed a volume-control knob; improved the look/feel of the faceplate and all its knobs; simplified ground-balancing; shrunk down the size of the control unit even further and then advertised itself as the world's lightest and smallest detectors; etc. etc. etc., then they could have carved a solid segment of the market for themselves and attracted lots of new customers.

Alas, they did none of that, and paid the price. But the circuit-board designs for their hardware still exist somewhere, and the brand name still has some cachet. Maybe the remnants of the company aren't worth a whole lot physically or as intellectual property or as a brand name, but they're worth something. At this stage it's probably too late for anyone to buy up the remains of Tesoro, but I think that if any company (or individual) ever did, they could easily resuscitate the brand and make it successful again.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo, since you believe so strongly, why dont YOU buy the rights to the name and the designs and pick up where they left off?

jamboree

Greenie
Nov 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo, since you believe so strongly, why dont YOU buy the rights to the name and the designs and pick up where they left off?

1. Don't have the money.
2. Don't have the technical expertise.
3. Don't have the time. (Heck, I barely have any spare time to detect at all!)
4. Don't have the business acumen.

But who knows, maybe some other person or company does have the money, expertise, time and acumen, and who also thinks it might be a good idea. Highly unlikely, but I can always dream!

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
unfortunately, the tesoro metal detector company is no more!
it was a good run! jack gifford was a brilliant man, but he always marched to
a different drummer.he adamantly believed that audio discrimination was
the most accurate form of discrimination,sooo he offered "limited" detectors employing
tone technology, and i.d. technology, and even though he was RIGHT!'..this stubborn
adherence to "single tone" audio discrimination cost him the company.he didn't live to
see this happen, thank god! rest in peace jack gifford,you was truly one of a kind!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can not give me one of those chatter box Notka-Makro's. Will drive you crazy sooner or later.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I won a decent lottery I would set them up again.

How about this,......

Crowd funding.

If everyone that owns a metal detector in this country gave just $1.00,.....
Or how about a dollar for every machine you own.

That would put me in at about $55.00

What about you Jason?
Would you kick in on some crowd funding?

I know a ton of people that would.

There's guys that find about, and over, 100 gold rings a year.
Sure bet a lot of them would kick in a ring or two.

The last wedding band I found cashed out at $193.00

What one person can't accomplish, "We" can accomplish by working together.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I won a decent lottery I would set them up again.

How about this,......

Crowd funding.

If everyone that owns a metal detector in this country gave just $1.00,.....
Or how about a dollar for every machine you own.

That would put me in at about $55.00

What about you Jason?
Would you kick in on some crowd funding?

I know a ton of people that would.

There's guys that find about, and over, 100 gold rings a year.
Sure bet a lot of them would kick in a ring or two.

The last wedding band I found cashed out at $193.00

What one person can't accomplish, "We" can accomplish by working together.

Hahaha, I'm sorry but thats pretty damned funny. You want to crowd fund a defunct company so that somebody else can possibly start making money from the name? If you like the Tesoro detectors so much, buy a used one. They come up for sale all the time, and seem to last a very long time.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHAT!!! NO CAZADOR!!!!:censored:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha, I'm sorry but thats pretty damned funny. You want to crowd fund a defunct company so that somebody else can possibly start making money from the name? If you like the Tesoro detectors so much, buy a used one. They come up for sale all the time, and seem to last a very long time.

Ahh, no.
Put them back on their feet again.
Give them a second bite at the apple.

I own several Tesoro machines, I had some great finds with them.

I like em'

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like tesoros myself but agree they needed to modernize quite a bit, a foreign company like nokta busted out with a detector that i wish they did and at a great price to boot. Garret has had nothing ground breaking imho and seem to be headed the same way. At series is nice but looks to be less for more.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul Roberts formed Tesoro in 81... seems they are still currently listed as an active corporation.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul Roberts formed Tesoro in 81... seems they are still currently listed as an active corporation.

Got a link?

Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

In July of 1980 dealers all over the country received a letter from Jack announcing the founding of Tesoro Electronics Inc. The first two paragraphs laid out the direction that Jack wanted the company to go and the ideas that we still live by today:

"It has become apparent to me over the past few years that there is a place for, even a need for, a metal detector manufacturer who is dedicated to the independent dealer market. The products should utilize the best of today's technology to provide maximum sensitivity. They should be rugged, but light enough that anyone can use them. They should do their job without "bells and whistles" that only increase the cost. And finally, the company should remain loyal to their dealers and be responsive to their needs and desires. It is with these principles in mind, that TESORO was founded in May of this year.
Tesoro is the Spanish word for treasure. The Spanish certainly seemed to understand and appreciate tesoro. Never in the history of the New World has there been a treasure hunt like the Spaniards held. It's hard to think of a better name for a company associated with treasure hunting, or a better symbol of our goals than the conquistador. As the Spaniards were yesterday's undisputed masters of treasure hunting, we at TESORO will always endeavor to meet our goal of making TESORO Metal Detectors today's undisputed masters of treasure hunting."

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

20191210_085616.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of the finished and boxed machines left in the warehouse, were sold to a man down south, who plans to hold them for a set time before putting them on the market. I know Rusty Henry has some left, but the bulk went south. :skullflag:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the finished and boxed machines left in the warehouse, were sold to a man down south, who plans to hold them for a set time before putting them on the market. I know Rusty Henry has some left, but the bulk went south. :skullflag:

Whoever this mystery man is could over us t-net members as pretty sweet deal on these units if he would like? No point sitting in a warehouse in the Biloxi heat going to waste.

Seriously though the longer you hold onto these units the less likely they will sell, unless you plan to rebrand them but that would be a huge risk as well. Unless maybe there is some legal reason for holding on to them for the set time?

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hanging on to my Tesoro's. I hunt mostly parks where stuff ain't deep and they will find mostly anything there. I have 3 in mint condition.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, no.
Put them back on their feet again.
Give them a second bite at the apple.

Thats even worse! Instead of giving a new guy a chance to make the company successful with new ideas, you want to throw a wad of crowd-funded $$$ at the very person who ran the company into the ground in the first place!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoever this mystery man is could over us t-net members as pretty sweet deal on these units if he would like? No point sitting in a warehouse in the Biloxi heat going to waste.

Seriously though the longer you hold onto these units the less likely they will sell, unless you plan to rebrand them but that would be a huge risk as well. Unless maybe there is some legal reason for holding on to them for the set time?

Obviously he is betting he will be able to get more than his money back. My belief is he will at least double it, maybe even triple it. :occasion14:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats even worse! Instead of giving a new guy a chance to make the company successful with new ideas, you want to throw a wad of crowd-funded $$$ at the very person who ran the company into the ground in the first place!

Again, no,.....

It would be best to get some new talent involved and,.......

You know,.... you're just a straight up hater.

A super negative person.

What do you do when a new roller coaster makes it debut?
Wish one of the cars flies off killing a couple of children?

This conversation isn't for the likes of someone as negative as you.

It's for people that are thinking positive, thinking that there is a such a thing as a second chance.

Not for someone that would pour motor oil on a wheelchair ramp.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, no,.....

It would be best to get some new talent involved and,.......

You know,.... you're just a straight up hater.

A super negative person.

What do you do when a new roller coaster makes it debut?
Wish one of the cars flies off killing a couple of children?

This conversation isn't for the likes of someone as negative as you.

It's for people that are thinking positive, thinking that there is a such a thing as a second chance.

Not for someone that would pour motor oil on a wheelchair ramp.

Please stop with the "hate wagon". Just because you and I dont share the same opinion, doesnt mean anyone is a "hater". Thats a very poor road to travel down.

You call me a hater, but all I have done is express an opinion. You said you wanted to crowd fund to get somebody to purchase the remains of a failed business so that the name TESORO could live on. I said that was a bad idea. You countered by saying you would give the money to the original owners which I said was also a bad idea, and now you claim you said something completely different.

If you disagree, attack the argument. When you have no argument, attack the person. right? Or will you be going back to clean up that motor oil you insinuate I am pouring on a wheel chair ramp?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions