pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II Ī¼MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out for the first time this year, today. Thought Iā€™d do an area that I was in before, but further back into the canyon where there are more potential sledding slopes. Had the Tejon again - Iā€™d found more rings with it last year than with my favorite Tesoros, but as Tejon users know, theyā€™re heavier and eat batteries more than the 9v models. Tejon still isnā€™t my favorite to use, but you canā€™t argue that they donā€™t produce. BTW - I was only out for about an hour and a half this afternoon. Going out again on Sunday - not a football guy.

I wonā€™t show you the trash I dug; mostly bullet & shotgun shells, lead, a few coins that werenā€™t old - and a set of keys. Pretty common for people to lose their keys in the snow, it seems. I feel sorry for them, driving up here in the snow - and having to get towed away.. Oh welll.

Since I went further back into one canyon where I hadnā€™t done before, I looked for the slopes, and as they sometimes do, one paid off with about .55Ā¢ in change, the keys and - an interesting 925 ring with rocks. No idea if the rocks are diamonds or glass but I do enjoy finding rings. This one was about 3ā€ down in the side of a slope that looks like it hadnā€™t been used for a few years.

No matter that the company is gone (but itā€™s a little sad); their products will live on for as long as I do..

AC5CA23C-C70B-4BD9-9252-1EF6FE3A4E01.jpeg
80DA8DD2-6DBC-4332-A746-94E6E6E17E06.jpeg
4E4054FC-B56D-469E-AE80-24E5AC6520C2.jpeg

Looks like kind of an old ring, to me.

Voytek

Greenie
Dec 20, 2019
Calgary
Detector(s) used
Xp deus Equinox 800 Tesoro Bandido 2 umax and my wife's Compadre and Mojave
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you, I have to wait another 5-6 weeks to start digging. My wife loves her compadre, very easy to use and effective. Ring she found last year paid for that Bandido 2 umax I just bought from France. I'm using deus and I rely too much on vdi numbers. This year I want to try that Bandido and see if l can beat her. IMG_1738.JPG

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our winter here just started. I have at least 2 months until the ground will be thawed enough to dig.
Nice finds and cool ring!!!
Im interested In trying the Tejon.
I plan to try my black high capacity eneloops in it as a test. But I also grabbed a ton of Amazon performance alkalines a couple weeks ago for a steal.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going back to that same area with my daughter and son, tomorrow morning. Both of them use Compadres. Daughter usually finds more than my son. He swings like a wild man, trying to go too fast. I tell him to go slower and swing more carefully - but I think he only goes ā€˜cause he doesnā€™t want to feel left out. Maybe heā€™ll get lucky tomorrow.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you, I have to wait another 5-6 weeks to start digging. My wife loves her compadre, very easy to use and effective. Ring she found last year paid for that Bandido 2 umax I just bought from France. I'm using deus and I rely too much on vdi numbers. This year I want to try that Bandido and see if l can beat her. View attachment 1796937

Thatā€™s one heck of a ring! Funny how no matter what detector youā€™re using though, all you need to do is get that good target under your coil - and be willing to dig it. Helps to know the detector too, of course.

Once you learn that Bandido, youā€™ll love it. Iā€™m tempted to take mine tomorrow but Iā€™ve been keeping the small coil on it and the area Iā€™m going to isnā€™t all that trashy.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our winter here just started. I have at least 2 months until the ground will be thawed enough to dig.
Nice finds and cool ring!!!
Im interested In trying the Tejon.
I plan to try my black high capacity eneloops in it as a test. But I also grabbed a ton of Amazon performance alkalines a couple weeks ago for a steal.

Winter here has let up for about two weeks. Expecting some light snow tomorrow afternoon though, so Iā€™m going out in the morning. Ground was pretty well thawed where I was yesterday; may as well get out again while I can.

Are those Eneloop cells 1.5v or a bit lower? My Tejon seems to like the voltage of fresh alkalines. Once mine goes to four beeps at switch-on, I replace ā€˜em with fresh, which give me seven beeps.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter here has let up for about two weeks. Expecting some light snow tomorrow afternoon though, so Iā€™m going out in the morning. Ground was pretty well thawed where I was yesterday; may as well get out again while I can.

Are those Eneloop cells 1.5v or a bit lower? My Tejon seems to like the voltage of fresh alkalines. Once mine goes to four beeps at switch-on, I replace ā€˜em with fresh, which give me seven beeps.

They are 1.52 at full charge. Haven't tried them in my Tejon yet. Have in DeLeon.
Battery meter reads a bar or 2 down sometimes but stays there forever. Fresh alkaline are about 1.62 so eneloops aren't far below at full charge. And they hold up alot longer before being dead in most applications. But when they die, they die. No real warning.
I like to use the eneloop black ones or Energizer for high capacity. I just too them off every time I go out
Regular eneloops can be charged from dead to full like 1900 times. So I don't think I'll ever wear them out.
I do plan to try them in the Tejon and see how many beeps I get on a fresh set. I have heard Tejon is sensitive to battery choice and low batteries.

Edit:
Although, and I don't know if this applies to metal detectors, rechargeables are much faster in camera flashes at charging the bulb than alkalines and last longer in that respect.
If I can make them work they're great. They work awesome in my nokta and makro machines and so far DeLeon as well.

Last edited:

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Enerloops in my Tejon. They will give 4 beeps when fully charged, but fairly quickly go down to 2 beeps. They stay there for a long time. There has been a lot of discussion as to whether the Tejon and other machines lose depth when the batteries are reading fairly low. Apparently that shouldn't really affect the machine's performance if it has a voltage regulator. It's when the batteries go to 1 beep that you have to start worrying :-)

-Ken

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find I've never owned a tenon but read many people on here that swear by them. That's a nice ring g. Well done zi wish I could hunt in a canyon sounds fun

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out detecting with my son this afternoon. Stayed out for about two hours and detected some sled runs I just found the other day. Ground is still icy on the big run I was wanting to do, but I saw some younger trees in between old trees along the sides of the big run. Knowing spots like that could well be older sled runs, I detected around the younger trees, walking up to top.. Found my second Walking Liberty half that Iā€™ve found on that mountain. Also found about $2 in modern change, a few more shotgun shells, some lead and lots of foil. Surprisingly few pulltabs.

Always happy to find a big silver coin! I was using a Bandido II Ī¼MAX with 5.75 coil. Easy to swing while walking up a steep hill..

1CC258A1-6E5F-45E6-8980-24552269AED6.jpeg
A7F7513D-56D1-42CC-B879-8BDDC5CB8F5B.jpeg

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your double eagle find Pinenut. I to cannot get out, but can't wait until spring arrives to start hunting again.

HH.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love my Tejon for relic hunting! :occasion14:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great find pinenut!!
That coin looks great!!
Would love to find one of those. 1964 half is best I've found so far.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow great find pinenut!!
That coin looks great!!
Would love to find one of those. 1964 half is best I've found so far.

Thanks! Iā€™ve now found three silver 1/2ā€™s on that mountain; two of those walkers and one Franklin. I get excited whenever I dig up a silver but seeing that big 1/2 come up makes me do the silver dance. Still havenā€™t found a real silver dollar - though several other dollar coins have come up; Susan Bā€™s and Sacajawea $. Need to get back out there but it probably wonā€™t be ā€˜till next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions