Just got my new Tiger Shark, have a couple of questions, please help

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hi folks,

I just got my new Tiger Shark a couple of hours ago and I have a question about the TS.
I did the set-up and the air test just like the manual said to and it worked fine, as far as I can tell. The threshhold sound is a bit loud for me and I'm not sure if I should try lowering the threshhold or the volume. Anyone have an idea? My first instinct is lower the volume, mainly because I'm afraid to touch anything else, Help! Also, I got four little tubes of silicone with the TS. There's nothing in the manual about what to do with them. I'm guessing I should use them in the space where the control face fits into the control box. Sound about right? I'd really appreciate any suggestions! By the way, where's the O ring?

Thanks,
Sue

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Sue,
You can adjust the Volume by adjusting the inside tall knob. The manual shows which is which. Do this with the head phones on so you can tell what setting is best. You will have to press in on the battery pack to get the sound of the Threshold while in All Metal-Fast. Once the volume is set to your liking your all set. I wouldn't mess with the Sensitivity pot as it is calibrated at the factory for the stock coil. You may only ever need to adjust this downward if you install a larger coil.

The silicone grease goes on the edge of the faceplate. The black ring is the O-ring. Smear some silicone grease along the O-Ring and clamp down both snaps.

You should find a clean piece of ground to ground Balance. Once done lay down some pull tabs, coins, nails and bobby pins. With the TS in Discriminate, wave the coil over each target to see where it cuts out on your detector when you adjust the knob upwards. For finding gold rings you have to be able to hear pull tabs and some are even in the foil range. I hunt with Disc. at 2 or 3 and in Disc. it is silent search.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Hi Sandman,
Thank you so very much. You've been a huge help and I really appreciate it. This is why I tried really hard to buy the TS in person, so I could ask my million questions.

I'm still amazed I couldn't find a TS within a 3 hour drive of NYC. Absolutely no-one has one in stock which I really don't understand. I wound up so frustrated I'm seriously considering becoming a Tesoro dealer myself. Obviously there's a need! Anyway, sorry to vent on you and again thank you very much. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sue

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
xenaskm,

Becoming a Tesoro dealer won't help. The TS's are made in small batches and all the dealer's usually have to wait a while for them when restocking. Sandman was right on target with his suggestions. The TS is a great machine, I had a killer season with it myself. Joe

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Hi,

Well the Outer Banks were a bust, good stuff wise. I did find three old rusty nails, some wire, a piece of metal that I have no idea what it is and a weird looking red rock. The rock has some kind of metallic property because it registered with the detector. It's about 4 pounds and has a pitted appearance. I'll try to post a picture later, maybe someone has a idea what it may be.

For all you TS experts. A few times I'd get a hit on the low end of the tone, but when I'd dig I couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure I did the quick start and ground balancing correctly. Any idea why that would happen?

Thanks

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
xenaskm said:
Hi,

Well the Outer Banks were a bust, good stuff wise. I did find three old rusty nails, some wire, a piece of metal that I have no idea what it is and a weird looking red rock. The rock has some kind of metallic property because it registered with the detector. It's about 4 pounds and has a pitted appearance. I'll try to post a picture later, maybe someone has a idea what it may be.

For all you TS experts. A few times I'd get a hit on the low end of the tone, but when I'd dig I couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure I did the quick start and ground balancing correctly. Any idea why that would happen?

Thanks
The red rock may be Iron slag

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
xenaskm,

Concerning your "mystery" targets: What do you mean by "low end of the tone" Did you check your sifted tailing's? What size holes in your sifter? Did you butterfly the target before you dug it (check for aluminum foil,which can float away.)? Joe

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Hi Joe,

By low end I mean the tone was a low pitch as opposed to a high pitch. What's a tailing? If you mean did I check all the sand I dug out of the hole, yes. The detector was still picking something up, but even when I sifted the sand through my fingers I didn't see anything. No I didn't butterfly it, but I was up on the wet sand, not actually in the water so nothing floated away that I know of. The only sifter I have right now has 3/8 holes.(I think) :)

Sue

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
yeah Sue, the TS will do that. It could be tiny pieces of aluminum, bobby pins (I find a bunch of those) or even small pieces of rust you would never recognize. Good Luck and Keep on huntin'!

Kevin

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Sue,

Sorry I assumed you were in the water. The TS is a very sensitive machine,it can find a BB sized target at several inches. On a tiny target the signal will be very tight and if not right against the bottom of the loop the discrimination will give it a studder or ragged sound if it's junk.
I'm a little confused when you use the term low or high pitch? I would not characterize the TS audio that way. Try to explain that a bit more to me so I can help you.
Another trick you can use is to put the sand in a 1/4" mesh sifter and go to the waters edge and dip the sifter in the water and the sand will go right through, leaving the target. also try taking a handful of the sand that you think the target may be in and wave it under the coil (No rings or watches on your hands please).
I have a handful of tiny stud earrings that I found this summer at the beach and some were down 6". They will even go through a 1/4" sifter if your not careful. Joe
PS - Are you using a coil cover? Don't go in the water unless you GLUE it on.

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Hi Joe,

The best way I can describe the tone is when I hit on, say a quarter, the tone is very high and clear, when I hit a pull tab it's much lower and hard for me to hear. Maybe I'm confusing pitch with tone. Have you ever been in a building with an elevator that has different tones for up and down? That's what I think of with the TS. I discovered the motion discriminate knob and actually prefer to use that because the threshhold tone is driving me nuts. It's rarely constant and stutters a lot so I feel like I'm never sure if I have a hit or not. With the motion discriminate I can really tell if I have a hit. Only thing is I'm a little concerned I'll miss stuff that way because it seems unless I'm practically on top of something, I can easily miss it. Maybe I just need a lot more practice.

No I'm not using a coil cover. Is that necessary? So far I've only gone as far as ankle deep with the TS. Water's really cold and I'm not a good swimmer ;D.

I notice you're in CT, I'm in the Bronx. Maybe we can meet up somewhere and compare notes. We drive to NH for a day so we'll pretty much drive anywhere. Let me know.

Thanks,
Sue

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Sue,

As for the tone and pitch,they essentially have the same meaning. Pitch being a somewhat broader term. The tone change you hear is when the TS is in motion discriminate? Motion discriminate is the mode you should be hunting in at about 4 on the control. Don't worry about missing something in motion discriminate, if it's within range you will hear it. The signal may be subtle and weak, depending on size and depth but it will be there. You must use a coil cover because the beach sand is like a piece of "sand paper" it will wear out the bottom of your coil. Thanks for the invitation to get together to hunt but the winter weather is upon us here in northern CT. so that will probably have to wait for spring. If you have any more questions let us know. Joe

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Joe,

The tone change I hear is when it's in All Met Fast. In Motion Disc. I hear nothing until it picks up a hit. I'll get a coil cover and thanks for all your help. Maybe we can meet in the spring for a hunt.

Take care,
Sue

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Sue,

I must say I stumped! I can't understand why you are getting a tone change in all metal fast on different targets? I'll PM Sandman and ask him to take a look at this. Smart move on getting the coil cover. Remember to put a couple of dots of glue on it if you go in the water. Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sue, Joe asked me to take another look at your post. I think what you are hearing in All Metal is not really a "tone change" as much as the Threshold jumping to a higher or lower pitch because of the higher mineral content along with the target. If you lower the coil to the ground and the Threshold goes up or down you need to adjust the GB knob one way or the other till the sound is the same near the ground and up near a foot off of it. The Tiger Shark does not change notes like Minelabs will. You will get a steady light threshold sound in All Metal Fast and a solid Beep when the coil goes over a target. If the Beep is different over one target and different over another object, you might need to send it in, but I think it is just in your adjustments.

Good Luck with it. You may PM me if you have any questions.
Sandman

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Hi,

Thanks Sandman. As soon as it stops raining/snowing here in NY I'll take the TS to the beach and see if I can get it adjusted. Now that I have an idea of what I'm supposed to be hearing I know what to listen for. My Bounty Hunter does have different tones for different metals, so I guess I assumed they were all like that. I have tried Ground Balancing the TS a couple of times, but I'll try again. I'll let you know what happens.

Sue

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread