I think I'm developing a mild Tesoro obsession..

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted a detector for awhile.. after researching for a bit I decided to go with the Tesoro brand of detectors. I narrowed my first choice between the Silver Umax and a Compadre and ended up purchasing an open box Compadre a few weeks ago on eBay(I was actually leaning towards getting the Silver, but couldn't find one at the time so I just pulled triggers on the Compadre)

I took my new detector to a local park the day it came in and had a blast learning it! I snagged a bunch of clad. I also found a few wheat pennies on my first outing and was hooked. That same night I was browsing eBay again and stumbled across a great deal on a used Silver Umax.. I couldn't resist and bought it. Got it for $145 shipped.

Fast forward to today where I was bored and browsing my local craigslist and somebody listed a used Tejon for $300. It came with the stock coil and also a 5.75" Concentric.. As you can tell, I bought the dang thing. Maybe I need an intervention.

20201005_003820.jpg

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
You're fine, seems normal to me.
Just not enough hours in the day to use them all.

Also one of them has a church, lots of devoted followers.
Google, "church of the compadre"
So welcome, brother.

Attachments

• photostudio_1601894182546.jpg
    photostudio_1601894182546.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had three or four Tesoros models over time. I still have and use my Cibola. That thing hammers it! I even got to know it so well I could tell a Civil War button from a minie ball by hearing through the headphones.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All three of those are excellent in specific areas. Compadre is a favorite of many who do tot-lot playground areas, Silver good for all around where soil conditions don’t change much and Tejon when you want more depth and soils change. It arguably has all the bells & whistles you’ll need, especially for relics (though I’ve pulled up nice coins and jewelry too). I like using my Tejon when I want to go deeper in some areas I frequent that don’t have too much trash, and it’s found me some really nice goodies. Stock up on AA batteries though..! ^_^

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obsession?:laughing7:

Attachments

• crest 003.jpg
    crest 003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 138

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted a detector for awhile.. after researching for a bit I decided to go with the Tesoro brand of detectors. As you can tell, I bought the dang thing. Maybe I need an intervention.

What you need is a few more Tesoros, you don't have enough of them until you can't decide which one to use.................
I just picked up two pre Tesoro units, Tomcat and Lynx, think I need a few more cats.. Bocats 1 and 2..:tongue3:

Attachments

• IMG-2966.jpg
    IMG-2966.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 90

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the Royal Sabre, still have that.

But I gave my Tejon to my neighbor today. I know I will miss it, may have to find another of them for me.

But I gave it to someone who could get me out more. A good friend has it now.

My Tejon will be sorely missed....

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL. Troy ShadowX2 and Tejon here!! Only lately looking at...shhhh....Vanquish

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I have had three or four Tesoros models over time. I still have and use my Cibola. That thing hammers it! I even got to know it so well I could tell a Civil War button from a minie ball by hearing through the headphones.

Much to be said about pure analog, nothing analyzed, nothing digitized, nothing upward averaged, just pure and simple signal to be deciphered by moi!

I'm keeping a few analog detectors on hand just to communicate with.

g

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our local DollarTree just started carrying 4 packs of AA alkalines again, use to be 3. Chinese junk but just be sure to take them out after detecting.

9v are tough to find good ones cheap around here so sometimes I use 9v rechargeables. Problem is too many of them are a hair larger and you'll end up breaking battery compartment doors....
I usually just grab some cheapo heavy-duty 9v and they'll last most of the day...

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My obsession started innocently enough with the purchase of a Mojave in 2017. Within two years I'd added a Tejon, Vaquero, Golden Umax, DeLeon, Bandido II Umax and Sand Shark. I told myself I could stop anytime I wanted to :-)

I've pared back the collection somewhat but still have 4 Tesoros. Great machines.

I've used Enerloop rechargeables, both 9V and AA, in my Tesoros without issue.

-Ken

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm going to pull triggers on some eneloops.. Like everything on the internet, I keep seeing conflicting opinions when it comes to rechargeables. Hell, if I don't like them, I could always use the AAs for some of my tv remotes lol.

I'm jealous that you have a Golden.. those and the Mojaves seem hard to come by.

Last edited:

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'm going to pull triggers on some eneloops.. Like everything on the internet, I keep seeing conflicting opinions when it comes to rechargeables. Hell, if I don't like them, I could always use the AAs for some of my tv remotes lol.

I'm jealous that you have a Golden.. those and the Mojaves seem hard to come by.

I should note that my Tejon would only give two beeps on the battery check when using Enerloops, at least after the first few hours. I didn't notice any degradation in depth or performance, however. I'm pretty sure the T is only drawing about 1V from each battery, and the rechargeables can deliver 1.2V right until the point they're exhausted. I use them now in my Vista X and am getting a good 8-10 hours before I figure I'd better recharge them just to be on the safe side.

Goldens and Mojaves occasionally come for sale. I got my Golden on a certain well-known auction site and probably overpaid for it. A friend of mine found one on a classified ad site and paid far less. Luck of the draw...

I wish Tesoro had kept developing the Golden model. If they'd added a ground balance to it, it would have been darn near perfect for most hunting applications.

-Ken

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,

I'm about to make the transition from 'buyer' of artifacts to 'digger' of artifacts. I'll need advice on the best detecting equipment and accessories. I've heard the technology on some of these newer detectors can actually distinguish between different types of metal and even filter out signals from ferrous materials?

Best regards,

JG

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I'm about to make the transition from 'buyer' of artifacts to 'digger' of artifacts. I'll need advice on the best detecting equipment and accessories. I've heard the technology on some of these newer detectors can actually distinguish between different types of metal and even filter out signals from ferrous materials?

Best regards,

JG

Got these three detectors on the used market for $600 total... all three are proven, capable machines.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Best regards,

JG

Just keep in mind that Tesoro and Whites are now out of business. They made great dependable machines though. I have another Compadre on the way as I speak. I just watched various Youtube vids to learn about detecting and detectors.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hi,

Best regards,

JG

Ha!
All detectors can do that, kinda the basis of the hobby.
However they all do this in slightly different ways and maybe to slightly different levels of ability.
Sometimes more than just a slight difference in ability.
The key difference is finding the detector/brand that you can get along with the best, that you enjoy using that will give you the best and most accurate information in the best way for you to understand it the easiest way possible and in that we are all different.
Some love the Tesoro way of hunting and learn it's all about the tones with a healthy expressive language they have learned to understand to their great advantage.
Not having a screen is not an obstacle, most times it actually helps.
Others may think this type of detector is hobbled, no screen, no useable data and this type of detector is nothing more than a simple beep and dig because the language they use to help us is unintelligible to them.
Some learn that language easily, some struggle a bit before it clicks, some never can learn to understand it and still others never even try.
Others use screen units but have success in different amounts no matter how much time they put in.
The key here is making a commitment to learning your chosen tool to the best of your ability no matter what kind or which one you use.
More knowledge and experience equals more treasure, there are no shortcuts and no magic detectors out there, it has often been said a knowledgeable hunter with a lower end tool will generally out hunt a newbie with a higher end machine that has the most whistles and a greater amount of bells.
So many of us have seen this is true in real life on hunts with others.
It's always been about knowledge and experience in life, no matter what we try to do in this hobby or out of it in the real world.

To me that is one of the best parts of this hobby, finding great treasure is fantastic and I enjoy that immensely but I think even more I enjoy learning new detectors, what they do, how they do it and how I can make them do it all even better and more successfully as I get better at understanding them.
It's a great hobby but like most you will get more out of it as you put more effort into them.
As in life.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread