Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I never owned the Golden Sabre but from what I've seen of the other older Sabre machines is they're pretty much the same in depth as the newest Silver uMax. See, basically what they did with the uMax is added more miniaturized electronic components to make a smaller box. But actually, the functional depth is about the same.

You'll read where some claim the new uMax is deeper than the old Sabre models. If there really were a difference (I didn't notice it) then it would be due to the coils now used on the uMax machines. The new spoke coils are larger and therefore deeper than the old donut coils.

Take a Golden Sabre and put a new 9x8 or 12x10 concentric uMax coil on it and I'd expect it to beat any new Silver uMax with its 8" concentric stock coil. You see, Tesoros really haven't changed all that much as far as the electronics are concerned. The biggest change has been in the coils, not in the electronics that cause the depth.

The Golden has notch which can be useful in super trashy places.

An awful lot about this hobby is psychological and not actual. People who believe their detectors are deep and very good will find far more than those who doubt their machine's abilities. This is the main reason dealers hate to take in on trade scratched detectors. The machine may be perfect but in the mind a person is somewhat ashamed of his detector and this causes him to not properly concentrate while hunting which means fewer finds.

Some people are highly affected by comments made on the various Forums. If someone posts that one brand is a piece of junk some will get very upset with that person but within 3 months will sell their machines and move on to another brand. The posting may have been pure BS but in the mind if took root and destroyed those persons faith in their machines. This caused them to make fewer good finds and falsely assume that that commentor was correct.

I'd say 90% of this hobby is psychological in nature.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
roachnjim,

Michigan Badger is right on target with what he said about the Tesoro Golden Sabre II. This is why the Tesoro machines hold their value so well. Tesoro owners move up (and down) in the line and try different coils, but all the models work so darn well that you see very few users changing brands. Also,until you have experienced it you cannot appreciate how good that lifetime warranty is.

srd1941

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Central WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Boy Badger, you hit that one right on the head. That's exactly how people are and its a good thing for me because it puts a lot of very good used equipment out for sale. Good reply.
Stan

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in mid 80's with a Inca,added a Golden Sabre 2 in 92. Used it since then. Have only sent each machine to Tesoro once for minor repairs.

Both are great on nickels,lightweight,well balanced machines.well the Inca is heavier by along shot because you can hipmount the GS2.

I use the GS2 almost exclusively. It's notch system works very well. toggle for pinpointing, good depth,
has two tones with notch... easy to use.

Jan 23, 2014
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Whites MXT and Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know that I am replying to a very old post! Yet, I happened upon it and read what you had to say and after many years of detecting, I would say you are right!
"I'd say 90% of this hobby is psychological in nature."
If you use an old mid 80's Golden Sabre 2 etc and know it's sounds well, you will probably do better-side by side, with a guy who has a $1500.00 Minelab or Whites. Not that I don't love both of them and I own both. It's just that becoming "one" with your detector, will get you more than someone like me, who just can't stop trying every new detector that hits the market! I do know my MXT well and have used it for many years. It's among the 1st that came out.

I never owned the Golden Sabre but from what I've seen of the other older Sabre machines is they're pretty much the same in depth as the newest Silver uMax. See, basically what they did with the uMax is added more miniaturized electronic components to make a smaller box. But actually, the functional depth is about the same.

You'll read where some claim the new uMax is deeper than the old Sabre models. If there really were a difference (I didn't notice it) then it would be due to the coils now used on the uMax machines. The new spoke coils are larger and therefore deeper than the old donut coils.

Take a Golden Sabre and put a new 9x8 or 12x10 concentric uMax coil on it and I'd expect it to beat any new Silver uMax with its 8" concentric stock coil. You see, Tesoros really haven't changed all that much as far as the electronics are concerned. The biggest change has been in the coils, not in the electronics that cause the depth.

The Golden has notch which can be useful in super trashy places.

An awful lot about this hobby is psychological and not actual. People who believe their detectors are deep and very good will find far more than those who doubt their machine's abilities. This is the main reason dealers hate to take in on trade scratched detectors. The machine may be perfect but in the mind a person is somewhat ashamed of his detector and this causes him to not properly concentrate while hunting which means fewer finds.

Some people are highly affected by comments made on the various Forums. If someone posts that one brand is a piece of junk some will get very upset with that person but within 3 months will sell their machines and move on to another brand. The posting may have been pure BS but in the mind if took root and destroyed those persons faith in their machines. This caused them to make fewer good finds and falsely assume that that commentor was correct.

I'd say 90% of this hobby is psychological in nature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread