tesoro sand shark

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Sand Shark is a fine pulse detector and the batteries seem to last forever. Take note that all pulses love long pieces of iron like bobby pins and most can't be id'd well till you get a lot of time in on using the SS. It has two operating modes, VCO and normal. It is fully adjustable, even tone. You'll like it, but get a deeper scoop.

OP
OP
divedigger

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
thank you Sandman,I bought the sand shark after reading some of your posts since you seem to be very knowledgeable and helpful.My main focus is going to be large artillery shells,will I be able to ignore some signals?This is an area that has only artillery,beer cans and sinkers in it,no rings or coins or other small good stuff.Thanks,David

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
divedigger,

Not sure if you have a Tesoro Sand Shark, but Sandman seemed to indicate that you do.
I do quite a bit of detecting for artillery rounds, so here are a few tips: 1. The larger 10.5" or 10" coil would be better suited for your purpose (not the 18" coil). 2. use a threshold sound with adequate volume so you can easily hear it while hunting. 3. Use VCO mode only,it's key to discerning large targets from small ones. 4. Practice in air test the different tone change by varying the distance from the loop for small and large targets,do this in preset pulse width. 5. after you gain some degree of expertise with the small verses large targets, do the same thing over again but try a high setting on the pulse width. 6. I don't do it but some users vary the pulse width from high to low to help determine target size. The beer cans verses the artillery rounds may be a problem but you may be able to tell the difference. Take a look at my ebay store and PM me if you want to discuss the SS further.

Store link below

Willy

Too bad I came upon this thread a bit late. I would have recommended a Garret Infinium. The reason why is that, by listening to the tone order, you can tell a large target (iron) from a small one and, by advancing the disc./pulse delay, can actually knock out a lot of small iron and non-ferrous trash. Oh well. ..Willy.

OP
OP
divedigger

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
thanks for the reply Sandman,thanks Joe,good tips,Willy,the reason I bought the Sand Shark is price.I have 2 Excalibers that work fine,but I wanted to play around with a PI machine.I got the Tesoro for 1/3 the cost of an Infinium.If I don't like it I won't be out much,if I fall in love with PI,then we will see what goes next.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread