Just bought a new Silver U Max

redtick79

Dec 5, 2007
Just wanted to let everybody know that I have been reading this board for about a month, gathering information about what detector I wanted. The bantering about what features and brands, of the various detectors, actually brought me to this conclusion. The Silver is still in it's box out in my truck, since I used my lunch hour today to go and buy my very first detector. After visiting the dealer a couple of times, and fighting off his obvious attempts to sell me an Ace 250, I got the Silver with head phones and ordered the 5.75 coil, which should be here in a few days. I appreciate all the info that you guys provide, and will keep you posted on my hunting. Thanks Again!!!!!

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Congrats on the new detector! You picked a great detector - ironically I traded an Ace 250 to get my Silver Umax that I use almost every hunt. I have never regretted that trade for one second. You will do well with the detector, and as with any detector - it will take you a little while to get good with it. You will dig junk sometimes, but as you get better - that will taper off as well. I am now able to use my Silver Umax in trashy parks and dig like 80% good targets - just by the sounds and where it knocks out on the discrimination.

With some practice you will be able to identify your targets easily. What I do is this: Detect at low discrimination, just above iron. Swing until you get a good - smooth repeatable signal. Lift the coil up a bit to get an idea of how deep the target is. (deep targets will be obvious) Use your thumb to scroll up the discrimination until the signal barely starts to knock out. That will tell you approximately what your target is , and how deep.

I can't say enough about the value of this detector. You have a lot of fun ahead of you. Be proud that you have all that performance and only had to pay not so much . . . I'm not so sure you need that 5.75 coil on it, b/c that 8" stock coil is sweet - but then again I haven't used the 5.75 on the Silver. Let us know how that smaller coil works out I haven't read many comments about it- I may pick one up myself.

If you have any questions about the Silver Umax - one of us in this forum has the answer,

Good luck
Ian

OP
OP
R

redtick79

Dec 5, 2007
Thanks Saginawian, I have located 6 or 7 older farmsteads that I have received permission to hunt, but will probably get in tune with my machine until spring, by hunting in the yard and some local parks. What do you suggest as a digger? My wife also thinks she would like to do this hobby with me, was wondering about the Compadre or the new Fisher F2 for her?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
You did good redtick79.

You never go wrong with any Tesoro.

If you ever do sell that Silver you'll regret it and just end up getting another.

It's funny but when I take a Silver uMax to a site I've hunted hard with a $1000 machine I usually end up finding a bunch of good coins I missed.

I've never really figured it out but Tesoros just find stuff.

Badger

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Can't go wrong with a Tesoro. Isn't it amazing how high the used Tesoros sell for on ebay!

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
As for the digger - I would get a cheapo $10 deal. Make sure it's a dedicated metal detector shovel, b/c the potting type shovels break. Any shop has them. The Lesche shovel is really super strong, but my experience is that you can really slice up your hands with that thing if you aren't careful and since I'm reckless and don't like stitches, I dont use mine.

For your wife, I would share your detector for a while. I take my wife with me sometimes and we take turns swinging the coil and digging targets - and then again sometimes she just watches. That's good enough for her and we have fun. I have seen dozens of used detectors for sale that were bought for a spouse who just never used them. If you think she is really serious, I would pick up an Ace 250 for her - that way you have one target ID machine and one high quality tesoro - then you can check your tesoro targets with the ACE. I think they are about $200 bucks. Ask badger about the F - 2 - I think he will have some advice about that one.

Badger - you are right about outhunting the big boys with the silver - absolutely true.

Ian

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great choice. The Silver Umax is an awesome machine. You made a wise decision. It WILL find the good stuff for you.
Congrats,
MM

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
redtick79,

Congratulations on your new Tesoro Silver uMax. A bunch of us guys here, have and do use the Silver, so if you have any questions just ask. The 5.75 is really super in trashy areas and gets practically the same depth as the 8" coil. You won't be sorry you bought it. Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread