Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been nearly a week since I bought a detector and since I'm getting nervous waiting for my Infinium to arrive I decided to buy a used Tesoro Bandido 2 uMax from a dealer.

The price was maybe a bit high ($225 postpaid) but I've always wanted to try one of these. It will come with the stock 8 inch coil.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Dog said:
I think you will like the Bandido II
it works well once the ground ballance is right.

Thom
OD

Thanks OD. I've owned the Tejon so I figure it should be similar at least in regard to ground balancing.

What sort of depth does it get with the stock 8-inch coil?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
A lot will depend on the size of the target.
We have pulled out cartridge casings that were 10 to 12 inches deep.

Most of the soil we have detected with ours is very shallow though.
we usually work with a fixed depth of 4 to 10 inches.

Our detecting is outside the city in and around areas where Spanish miners and explorers set up camps.
Very rocky and dry. shallow soil on top of caprock.
I like to sympathise with all the pulltabs people find,
our main boggle isn't the pulltabs ... 22 caliber shells and spent lead are a big problem.

Thankfully we don't have the combined problem of clad as well.
LOL
Thom
OD

Attachments

• 11-11-07_013_Trails_leading_to_the_ridge 1.jpg
    11-11-07_013_Trails_leading_to_the_ridge 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 2,239
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Dog said:
A lot will depend on the size of the target.
We have pulled out cartridge casings that were 10 to 12 inches deep.

Most of the soil we have detected with ours is very shallow though.
we usually work with a fixed depth of 4 to 10 inches.

Our detecting is outside the city in and around areas where Spanish miners and explorers set up camps.
Very rocky and dry. shallow soil on top of caprock.
I like to sympathise with all the pulltabs people find,
our main boggle isn't the pulltabs ... 22 caliber shells and spent lead are a big problem.

Thankfully we don't have the combined problem of clad as well.
LOL
Thom
OD

Sounds really great OD.

I've had this theory that all the Tesoros basically get the same depth if fitted with the same type and size coil.

I know my Tejon was really a great detector. I like the smooth Tesoro ground balancing. That 12x10 concentric coil is my personal favorite.

Best to you and thanks for sharing.

Badger

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Michigan Badger,

The B-II is a good little machine, I think you will like it because you like the Silver uMax so much.
I would describe it as a Silver with more controls. I find the GB on it a little weird,I would be interested in your comments on that. Git the GB spot on before you begin hunting and ck. it often, it makes a big difference on that machine. Have fun and let us know how you make out. Joe

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JOE(USA) said:
Michigan Badger,

The B-II is a good little machine, I think you will like it because you like the Silver uMax so much.
I would describe it as a Silver with more controls. I find the GB on it a little weird,I would be interested in your comments on that. Git the GB spot on before you begin hunting and ck. it often, it makes a big difference on that machine. Have fun and let us know how you make out. Joe

Thanks.

I found this same thing with the Tejon. I'd be hunting along with no hits. I'd stop, ground balance, and the first swing dig a deep goodie. The Nautilus is like this too.

The Tejon was very simple to ground balance but we'll see what happens with the Bandido.

A dealer just sold me a 12x10 concentric with cover postpaid for $110.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JOE(USA) said:
Michigan Badger,

Joe, I received the B-II but just as I was testing the ground balance the threshold knob broke off. ;D

I bought it used of course so my guess is somebody in the past had just glued it.

I wrote to Tesoro for the part but may just send the whole thing in to have it completely checked over and repaired.

For what little time I had with it it seemed pretty decent. The depth seemed about the same as the Silver uMax.

Maybe in a few weeks I can complete my testing.

Right now I'm wondering when TreasureDepot is going to get my new Infinium to me. It was promised before Christmas and no word yet other than everything is very busy. ???

As soon as it rolls in I have a bunch of tests for it.

Oh, I'm also testing a Chinese machine and looking at an old model Compass detector.

It's great fun doing these comparison testings but I don't dare post everything. I don't need any more enemies ;D

Badger

R

robert roy

Badger:

How would you contrast the SIlver Saber II, The Silver Saber Umax, with the Bandido?

Also what do you know about the TESORO CIBOLA?

Robert R

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
robert roy said:
Badger:

How would you contrast the SIlver Saber II, The Silver Saber Umax, with the Bandido?

Also what do you know about the TESORO CIBOLA?

Robert R

Too soon to tell for sure Robert. I only was out in the coin garden maybe 15 minutes before the knob broke.

But I think like posted above, the Bandido is more or less a Silver uMax with a ground balance and threshold control.

In air test using the 12x10 web coil it gets about 10 inches on a dime and about 11 inches on a quarter in discrimination mode. This is very close to what I got with the Silver uMax fitted with the 12x10. VLF detectors lose about 30% in ground so we're looking at 7 inches on a dime and about 8 inches on a buried quarter. This is much better than most VLF machines today regardless of the price.

The advantage will be the ground adjust and the ability to adjust the threshold.

So again, depth wise I don't at this point see a tremendous difference.

I've never used the Cibola but friends here have PMed me and wrote that they're getting about 5 inches on a buried dime and 6 inches on quarters (stock coil).

It's no secret I personally prefer the concentric coil of the uMax line.

But, don't take my word for it. Check em out and see what you find in your soils.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread