Vaquero Problems

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Has anyone experienced dirt getting inside their Vaquero and the Pots shorting out ? I have to clean mine after every 2 or 3 hunts with dust remover. The dust flys everytime. I can't figure how the dust gets inside it unless it get in through the pinpoint button or maybe I need to make a small gasket to seal the face to the housing. The 2 knobs that are affected are the sensitivity and the discriminate. They go haywire unless I take it apart and blow it out often.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a new problem on me. Have you contacted Tesoro and asked them about it?

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Do you lay the unit in the dirt when digging a find? You should opt for a rain/dust cover and maybe a taller detector stand to keep it off the ground. I never had a problem with mine.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
john37115 said:
Has anyone experienced dirt getting inside their Vaquero and the Pots shorting out ? I have to clean mine after every 2 or 3 hunts with dust remover. The dust flys everytime. I can't figure how the dust gets inside it unless it get in through the pinpoint button or maybe I need to make a small gasket to seal the face to the housing. The 2 knobs that are affected are the sensitivity and the discriminate. They go haywire unless I take it apart and blow it out often.

Thanks! I think you answered a question for me. That is, why some of my machines started acting up after spending lots of time hunting a dusty dry field.

I was blaming it on dirt between the coil and coil cover and electrical interference. What you wrote makes sense and I have wondered about this before.

From now on my detectors wear a plastic bag when I hunt those plowed dusty fields.

Badger

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
The way the Vaquero is made the unit sets 4"-5" off the ground when you set it down. I bought this unit new 1-month ago and have had it apart to blow it out about 4 times, it was going nuts. I haven't hunted any dusty fields, if anything the dirt has been pretty moist. I guess it could be the dirty gloves on the pinpoint button. I think the cover would solve my problems GREAT Idea.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John some thing you might want to try is coating silicone sealant over the pinpoint button. It will still work and seal out all dirt from entering there. I did this to my Fisher CZ20 to make sure the water doesn't enter around this rubber button. Still no trouble.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
I have always dug with my non-metal detecting hand. The hand that uses the detectors does not do the digging. It is hard to get used to this technique - however, you will end up with a cleaner detector. The rain jacket for a detector should be your first accessory that anyone should purchase. Hope this helps

Bavarianminister

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on the verge of ordering a Vaquero and read this post with interest. Would anything happen to the unit if I wrapped the control box with plastic wrap, (Saran or other brand name)?

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
johnnycat & john37115,

I heard of this once before,but dismissed it because the detector was covered with fine dust from a very dry field the detector was being used in. I'm sure the rain jacket from Tesoro would help. Before you do anything to the detector, CALL Tesoro and explain the problem. Joe

clarence

Greenie
Dec 18, 2012
Holiday, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got me Thinking... This is a "Saran Quick Cover"s lid. Works great on my Tesoro Vaquero!:hello2:

IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0944.JPG IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0946.JPG IMG_0947.JPG IMG_0948.JPG IMG_0949.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are working in mud or fine dust with ANY machine you need to take ordinary precautions. However, when you "have had it apart to blow it out about 4 times," it is WAY past time to call Robert Martensen at Tesoro, or send that sick puppy in for a check up. I have a new Vaquaro as well, that I got back in December. For me the wet mud has been the problem, so I always wrap the foam handle in Saran Wrap, and put a One-gallon Zip Lock bag over the control box housing.

Send that machine back to the factory and get the real problem fixed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread