jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT

SamsSon

Jul 11, 2008
Re: Compadre ?

I've owned 2 of these as I recall. Both were good for the money but not deep.

You're looking at maybe 4 inches max on a wheat.

The Silver uMax is a much better machine. It gets about 1 inch more depth with the stock coil and it has the ability to change coils.

The Silver with Tesoro's best coil (the 10x12 concentric) will match the big guns in depth.

If not in a hurry look for a used Silver. My last one cost $150 postpaid and it looked brand new.

Another option is the imported MD 1023. You can get these off ebay for $79.99 plus shipping and they beat a Tesoro Silver in depth. Plus they have excellent tones. They don't take extra coils so the Silver will beat the 1023 if you use the 10x12 coil on the Silver.

I think the 1023 is better than both the Fisher F-2 and F-4. There are some here who use the 1023 but don't want others to rib them for using a Chinese made machine. One fellow who regularly posts in Today's Finds (large cents, seated, etc.) uses only the 1023. We write via PM's and he doesn't want others to know. I know of at least two here like that.

The #GC1023 will easily nail a wheat at 6 inches with a fast or slow swing. The tones on dead-on.

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2

My daughter LLK (6 years old) uses a Compadre, I have watched her find silver coins deeper than 4", and large cents pushing 6" in depth. Rod shortens up nicely for smaller kids. One knob control, better than average disc., and under $150.00 new. I would put my daughter in a competition hunt, or against most other coinshooters with this machine and she would hold her own! Check out some of our finds on the "Today's Finds" forum and judge for yourself.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's

I totally agree. The Compadre is just getting warmed up at 6" and I've found silver quarters in trashy sites approaching 8". It's also light as a feather and fun to use. For a child the Silver would be great also, but is heavier and of course has more dials and switches. With the Compadre, you just set the disc and go. Of course the Silver is deeper, but it comes with a bigger and heavier coil. Now I've seen the 1023 as cheap as $63 with $13 shipping on LG Outdoors site. I'm not embarrassed to say that I use it and it's a good machine. I wouldn't quit detecting if it's the only machine I had. Just wish I'd found it before I tied up 4 or so grand in machines. Might've been the only machine I bought. Oh, probably not. I'm an addict. You know the feeling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread