Tesoro owners only question.

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin
I'm almost ready for a new machine and I've narrowed it down to: Golden U-max or Vaquero. I have red/orange clay soil also sandy loam type soil. 1 or 2 x a year I go to the beach. I have about 15% hearing loss and some tones sound the same to me. Coins & Relics(old home sites)are what I do. Sooooo any thoughts based on what I've given to you.? Remember I would like you guys with these machines for their 2cents first please.Of course everyone is welcome but would not want to start "This brand is better than that one" string. D.D.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Dirt Dobber,

Being a Tesoro dealer,I have had quite a bit of experience with these two detectors. My recommendation based on what you have told us would be the Vaguero. Here is my reasoning:

1. It has GB which will handle moderate to high iron soils ("red/orange clay soil"?) better.

2. You are not just a coinshooter, you also hunt relics.

3. You have a hearing loss with some tone loss (Golden is a tone machine).

4. In my testing the Vaquero has the faster response time when compared to the Golden. Because the tones on the golden may not work for you, the faster response time of the Vaquero would be another advantage.

Joe

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Yes you did.

Dirt Dobber said:
I'm almost ready for a new machine and I've narrowed it down to: Golden U-max or Vaquero. I have red/orange clay soil also sandy loam type soil. 1 or 2 x a year I go to the beach. If you going to the beach and you have iron in your soil you need adjustable GB. I have about 15% hearing loss and some tones sound the same to me. Why have different tones if you may not be able to tell the difference? Coins & Relics(old home sites)are what I do. Sooooo any thoughts based on what I've given to you.? Remember I would like you guys with these machines for their 2cents first please.Of course everyone is welcome but would not want to start "This brand is better than that one" string. D.D.
The Golden is multi tone with factory set GB. The V has one tone and manual GB. So yes, you answered your own questions. Hope you get either and start digging! Good luck.

OP
OP
Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
OOOOOh! I see(even though I had to squint at the red outline of your bold print.) LOL. I didn't realize that the "V" was monotone. Not even their (Tesoro) handout catalog mentioned that. But I have had it awhile. That's why I'm asking here. Thanks. D.D.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Dobber,
I mean no disrespect in the glowing bold print. I simply wanted a way to differentiate my reply to yours. Good luck!

midmich

May 21, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer
I too have a serious hearing loss, although I couldn't tell you what percent. At first, I tried mono tone machines and I remember people saying that they would have different sounds to them. Well, it may be that I was simply too new to this to hear the difference, but I never could. Sure, I could hear the difference between a solid beep and a broken one, but that was it. I have since bought a machine that has multiple tones and I can tell you that it makes all the difference in the world to me. My new machine also has a numerical ID, but to tell you the truth, I find myself just listening for the right tones before I even look at the numbers.

OP
OP
Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
MidMich, Thanks for the reply. Had almost given up on more replies. What type of MD do you use? The "V" I' am thinking about getting is said to be" mono" tone. I may have to reconcider my pick . D.D.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I am deaf in one ear and the Vaquero works well for me listening to mono tone. The nice thing about the Vaquero is you can buy it with the default tone, which is what I have and if you find you don't like it, you can send it in and have a high tone mod done to it. It is a nice quiet search machine, hardly makes a peep unless you go over a good target. It is nice and deep and it has a ton of coil options for it.

midmich

May 21, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer
For Tesoros, I have a tiger shark, silver umax & a cibola. With these, the cibola is the easiest to tell what the target is because when you use the pinpoint button you can tell the difference between the highs & the lows.
I didn't list what machine I am using now because I haven't used a Tesoro tone machine to compare it to, but regardless, I am using a Minelab X terra 70. I can say that in my limited experience, I have yet to use anything close to this machine with regards to target ID.
So, if you are like me and are not interested in just digging things that go "beep", I would consider a tone machine.

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi Dirt Dobber if you can afford to buy a machine that has atleast
MANUAL GB get it, just in case your in a area that has Mineralization.

[size=22pt]You do not want FIXED GB reason being you can not null out
the mineralization in the soil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like the X-terra 70 because it has Manual & Auto GB and
Auto Noise Cancel, Beach Mode and Prospecting Mode, its really
a all around machine, it has 3 preset programs in the coin mode
which can be changed to your personal hunting situation and
can be used in multiple places.

OUT OF THE 2 that you LISTED i would BUY THE [size=30pt]VAQUERO
[/size]

From what i understand from the DEALER that i use is Tesoro is a
10 turn machine thats what they used to refer this kind of a machines as being.

They are a different kind of Breed when it comes to being ground balanced,
if you do buy a Tesoro refer to the article i did about
Ground Balanceing the Cortez

Dave

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
I realize this is a bit late but I want to let you know that TESORO may be able to work with you on the hearing issue. Several Years ago (closer to 10) we discovered my father was missing targes left and right. We both were using Bandito II's, while I was hitting pay dirt he was getting little to nothing. It was then we discovered he could not hear the higher pitched tones. I worked with Rusty Henry who is the customer service manager of TESORO and a dealer. We sent POP's machine back and Rusty and his team were able to adjust the frequency / tones ? so they had more bass in them This at no additional cost other than postage one way). Rusty advised this change may have caused a bit of loss in performance but so far , and 10 years later, it seems to work find. The added benefit to this was that POP and I can now work much closer together without interfering with each other. Makes for a better experience for us both.

Here's my POP on a Sharpsburg Hunt in a friends yard.
DSCN1398.JPG

OP
OP
Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
OBX its never to late to help. Thanks for reply. I would never have thought the factory would or could do such an adjustment! Thanks again. :thumbsup: D.D.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my V from Rusty also and I have never regretted it. That little thing really finds the deep stuff. And so easy to operate. Getting ready to take a trip to California to metal detect the outskirts of the ghost town of, Bodie. My brother bowhunted up there and found a whole bunch of sites just begging for a metal detector. You can bet the little V will be going along too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread