ecastro111

Oct 23, 2006
Rio Grande Valley
Detector(s) used
Garret Infinium/Fisher CZ7a

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Re: Any "COB" finds in Texas

Would not be a good idea to put that information on this or any other site in Texas
due to Texas Antiquities Code! If you have not read it you need to.
If you fine something good keep low profile about it or you may wish you had.

Good Luck
&
HH

OP
OP
ecastro111

ecastro111

Oct 23, 2006
Rio Grande Valley
Detector(s) used

XT18000,

I am well aware of the Texas Antiquities Code. :P I'm not asking for people to post "The Ark of the Covenant" or a Shipwreck in their backyard. My question was about a few finds or even a cache of Spanish or Mexican colonial coins. Its plain paranoia and ridiculous to think that just because you found a reale on the beach or a cache in an old home and post it on the forum that your going to have the Texas Rangers at your door. If this was the case, then more than half the members that posted on the forum would have fines or be behind bars. Please note that every state has one form of an antiquities code!

Ernie

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've seen a few posts from Texas mentioning found cobs in the last few years. I recall one was found at Galveston, another while relic hunting some Texas civil war campsites.

OP
OP
ecastro111

ecastro111

Oct 23, 2006
Rio Grande Valley
Detector(s) used

I've seen a few posts from Texas mentioning found cobs in the last few years. I recall one was found at Galveston, another while relic hunting some Texas civil war campsites.

Thanks, qkslvr, for the heads up. I should probably quite putting off becoming a charter member and cough up the cash. That way I could search the forum.

Later Days,
Ernie

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

I have seen pictures somewhere of Spanish coins that have been found on the East Texas coastline, I will dig out my old books and see if I can scan in the pictures later.

Something interesting:
rumors suggest that Lafitte's treasure sank with his ship, the Pride, either near Galveston or in the Gulf of Mexico where some believe it went down during an 1826 hurricane. In the area of Galveston, it is commonly said that Lafitte buried his treasure on Galveston Island.

As stated above if I found one you would not know it. Nor anything else of value that I find. :wink:

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used

just-geese said:
Makes you wonder who got the Hendricks Lake treasure ::)

Hendricks Lake "Silver Lake" I heard that Lake has been dredged and prodded more times than any other in Texas! Surely someone went home one evening with a load of silver bars.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used

just-geese said:
It wasn't in the lake :)

Do tell Don, I have only briefly read a few articles on that Lafitte treasure. That is the one where he stole the silver from the spanish and deposited in Hendricks Lake supposedly?

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used

just-geese said:
It's a long story but I had a buddy that researched it for years, he had one problem.... He opened his mouth

Maybe when we get together we can share a beer over it. Its hard to trust anyone with that kind of info. Some of the stories I have read on Tnet all end like that.

What if you took pictures of your findings for magazines and papers, melted it down, sent it to an offshore or swiss bank account and the dropped the news. I bet they would still drag you through the system until you were broke again.

I hate the man! :wink:

XT18000

May 26, 2008

ecastro111

There was a post a while back from a guy ( I think in FLA ) that posted some arrowheads
for sale ( on EBay ) if I remember correctly; and contacted by a lady school teacher that wanted
to buy ONE for a class project. He told the lady that he would GIVE ONE to her. She made him a deal
to come pick one out and to THANK him for it. Lady was an undercover agent for the state and the
poor guy was busted; fined a VERY large sum; Lost his job and all the finds he had collected over
the years. Sad that this kind of thing gos on but that's the kind or world we live in now.
TEXAS has one of the strictest Antiquities Codes in the U.S.and if anyone thinks they don't have people
post things on sites like this or that they would not bait a trap for someone that posted that
they had found items of that sort they need to do a little rethinking. If you find it keep it quite don't
post it and don't post pictures of it; personally I hope you find a ton of them and a pack train of gold
to go with them! The state won't look for it them selves; they want people like us to do the work for
them' then they want to take it from us in the name of preserving it for posterity. No offense intended
to you or your post; just words of caution. H/H

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used

XT18000 said:
ecastro111

There was a post a while back from a guy ( I think in FLA ) that posted some arrowheads
for sale ( on EBay ) if I remember correctly; and contacted by a lady school teacher that wanted
to buy ONE for a class project. He told the lady that he would GIVE ONE to her. She made him a deal
to come pick one out and to THANK him for it. Lady was an undercover agent for the state and the
poor guy was busted; fined a VERY large sum; Lost his job and all the finds he had collected over
the years. Sad that this kind of thing gos on but that's the kind or world we live in now.
TEXAS has one of the strictest Antiquities Codes in the U.S.and if anyone thinks they don't have people
post things on sites like this or that they would not bait a trap for someone that posted that
they had found items of that sort they need to do a little rethinking. If you find it keep it quite don't
post it and don't post pictures of it; personally I hope you find a ton of them and a pack train of gold
to go with them! The state won't look for it them selves; they want people like us to do the work for
them' then they want to take it from us in the name of preserving it for posterity. No offense intended
to you or your post; just words of caution. H/H

I read that article, That is screwed up like a soup sandwich. Its amazing what people can do and then sleep at night.

OP
OP
ecastro111

ecastro111

Oct 23, 2006
Rio Grande Valley
Detector(s) used

XT18000,

You confirmed my point that every state has some kind of antiquities law. All states have strict laws regarding items of historical significance. You also mentioned Florida (you think) in your example, yet most of the "COBS" posted on the forum are from Florida. Are these members in legal danger for posting their finds? In your opinion, are all these members foolish for posting their finds?Whats the point in having a SPANISH COBS, SHIPWRECK, or RELICS section on the forum? Yet I never heard anybody in Texas be indited or raided for finding something. If they did they would make a clear example of them in the media. But there is mention of treasure hunters getting caught using metal detectors in state and national parks. There is also mention of individuals looting Native American burial sites in other states. But nothing about "Joe Blow" being ramsacked by the Texas Rangers because he found a Spanish Reale on Padre Island and posted it on the forum.

There is a bookstore on South Padre Island run by Steve Hathcock mentioned on the forum a few times by the name of Padre Island Trading Company http://www.islandtraders.biz that has a few glass cases for anyone to view with Reales, Escudos, and other Relics. All found while metal detecting. He will even take you Treasure Hunting http://www.offbeattravel.com/padre.html. Yet every time I visit, it has yet to be raided by our glorious state. And they been around for a long time.

Why encourage all this paranoia. If I finally find a Cob, I will definitely post it. That's what this forum is all about, sharing the enthusiasm and love for our hobby. Again, to put this issue to rest just visit the "SPANISH COBS" section of the forum. In actuality, anything found over 100 years old (more or less), is a historical relic belonging to the state.

Ernie

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used

ecastro111 said:
XT18000,

I am well aware of the Texas Antiquities Code. :P I'm not asking for people to post "The Ark of the Covenant" or a Shipwreck in their backyard. My question was about a few finds or even a cache of Spanish or Mexican colonial coins. Its plain paranoia and ridiculous to think that just because you found a reale on the beach or a cache in an old home and post it on the forum that your going to have the Texas Rangers at your door. If this was the case, then more than half the members that posted on the forum would have fines or be behind bars. Please note that every state has one form of an antiquities code!

Ernie

Just some FYI, I found the Ark. No need to keep searching. :wink:

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer

Shaw said:
ecastro111 said:
XT18000,

Ernie

Just some FYI, I found the Ark. No need to keep searching. :wink:

Cool J....and I found the Holy Grail! ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread