Fort Ringgold II

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
My brother's wedding was on 12/20/2008, and this meant another trip back home to south Texas. I never miss a chance to swing my Bounty Hunter back home so I decided to go for a few hours the morning of the wedding. I headed for a small park just next to the site of Fort Ringgold (see my other posts). My first find was a sheath of some sort about 6 inches down. I believe that the blade is still in there. Next I found some other items, and then my very first musket ball!!! Got my heart jumping. Here are some pics. Enjoy! IF you can help identify some of the objects that would be great.
Items found:-
Sheath
Musket Ball
Knife frame
Several Slugs
Old broken casing
Misc stuff unknown

Attachments

• DSC01945.JPG
    DSC01945.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 489
  • DSC01943.JPG
    DSC01943.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC01946.JPG
    DSC01946.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 550
  • DSC01947.JPG
    DSC01947.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 449
  • DSC01948.JPG
    DSC01948.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 590

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
cooltone23 said:
My brother's wedding was on 12/20/2008, and this meant another trip back home to south Texas. I never miss a chance to swing my Bounty Hunter back home so I decided to go for a few hours the morning of the wedding. I headed for a small park just next to the site of Fort Ringgold (see my other posts). My first find was a sheath of some sort about 6 inches down. I believe that the blade is still in there. Next I found some other items, and then my very first musket ball!!! Got my heart jumping. Here are some pics. Enjoy! IF you can help identify some of the objects that would be great.
Sheath
Musket Ball
Knife frame
Several Slugs
Old broken casing
Misc stuff unknown

that is awesome Cooltone!!! I looked on Google to try and find the fort site, but there must not be any buildings left. You got a GPS location of the original fort site? Man, if I lived close to there...I'd be hitting the park up some more!!

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
myelo1023 said:
cooltone23 said:
Sheath
Musket Ball
Knife frame
Several Slugs
Old broken casing
Misc stuff unknown

that is awesome Cooltone!!! I looked on Google to try and find the fort site, but there must not be any buildings left. You got a GPS location of the original fort site? Man, if I lived close to there...I'd be hitting the park up some more!!

Check this post out. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,203825.0.html

Look up Fort Ringgold in Rio Grande City, TX

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
nyiangelo said:
In the last picture that one object looks like a flattened out thimble to me. But that just from the pic angle...

Thats what I was thinking when I first unearthed it. The only thing that is questionable is the hole at the center. I don't think that a hole in the center of a thimble would be a good idea, lol!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find those flatten out looking things all the time, most are flat for me too, If I remember right someone told me they were percussion caps.

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
I am from Spring but I was in the valley on business. Today I drove through Rio Grande City enroute to Laredo. I stopped in RGC to visit one of the properties my company owns (the HEB Plus on 83 and Bridge Rd.). Anyway, driving through there, I thought it would have some awesome MD sites with all the history and Fort Ringgold. I am pretty new to metal deteching and still learning my machine but thought that next time I am down here, I might bring my MD along.

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
TexasDeere said:
I am from Spring but I was in the valley on business. Today I drove through Rio Grande City enroute to Laredo. I stopped in RGC to visit one of the properties my company owns (the HEB Plus on 83 and Bridge Rd.). Anyway, driving through there, I thought it would have some awesome MD sites with all the history and Fort Ringgold. I am pretty new to metal deteching and still learning my machine but thought that next time I am down here, I might bring my MD along.

Welcome aboard TDeere. Just for future references, let me give you the way that you should pack for trips in this order:

1. Medal detecting gear
2. digging gear
3. maps
4. gps
5. underwear and the other unecessary things only if you have room :thumbsup:

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
myelo1023 said:
TexasDeere said:

Welcome aboard TDeere. Just for future references, let me give you the way that you should pack for trips in this order:

1. Medal detecting gear
2. digging gear
3. maps
4. gps

Good one Myelo!

Welcome Tdeere. You're gonna love this sight. I remember going back home and seeing that new HEB, its huger. I thought great, we needed a second mall opened besides Wal-Mart, hahaha!!!

There alot of places I want to hit on my next trip down to the Valley. I have aquired permission to hunt an old private hospiatl that is near my grandmother's house. It was built some time in the 20's or 30's. Also working on getting permission to hunt some of the older homes that are along the river where the ferries would dock.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Those are some cool finds cooltone, congrats on your musket ball.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
I believe txkikergirl is right, the thing on the bottom that looks like a thimble is a percussion cap. I reenact and that looks surprisingly like our percussion caps when stepped on in the parking lot after a engagement. Very cool dude!!!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
myelo1023 said:
TexasDeere said:

1. Medal detecting gear
2. digging gear
3. maps
4. gps

thats how I pack ;D ;D
after the underwear then its the dogs and if I have room the kids....I actually do make my kids pack only clothes when they travel with me now, no more, basket ball football, scooters, gamebox, etc.(they would fill up a car, with thier junk but now my MD Gear Does)

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Txkickergirl,

I'm orginally from the RGV. Where do you go MD'ing around over there? When I first started this hobbie, All I did was go to my ranch, since I didn't know anywhere else to go. Any good spots on your neck of the woods?

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey cool I do a lot of my relic hunting in the Corpus Christi area I am there a lot.

But I do have a few spots in the area here mostly the lower end of the valley although I do plan to start working my way west there is not a lot of accesible property to hunt in the RGV, you gotta know someone which for the most part I DON'T :'( Next time you are going to be down in the area let me know a maybe a couple of us can get together for a hunt somewheres.

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Sounds good. I will keep you posted on my next hunt. I will work on getting some permission to hunt Fort Ringgold and some other home sites.

TheBigBeanTx

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2008
cooltone23 said:
Sounds good. I will keep you posted on my next hunt. I will work on getting some permission to hunt Fort Ringgold and some other home sites.

If you don't mind I like to tag along. I'm from Mission but live in Pharr. My wife is from RGC ( 90 Grad ) and my father in law was a high school history teacher before they moved to McAllen in 98.

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Class of 2000 here, lol. What is your fater in laws name? He might have been a teacher of mine. Will let youi all know wjat I can do to organize something. HH all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread