Goliad, TX

Third Wave

Aug 12, 2008
I'm on a hunting lease in the area and plan on doing a bit of swinging down there. It's 1200 acres or so and I have not found any signs of prior habitation by anything other than cows. There are some corrals and livestock windmills. But not much else in the way of obvious man made structures.

The area is loaded with history, but when looking at a place like this...do you just focus on the big oak trees, natural clearings?

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Sounds nice. I live in the valley but I could manage to get up there on a weekend It would be great to check it out. Don't forget to look for carvings in trees or rocks. Those are good spots always.(or at least most of the time.)

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some areas around Goliad better than others. Most of the skirmishing being around La Bahia and the old trails coming from Victoria/Fannin and Refugio. You should have at least one good area on that much property. Just remember....DO NOT get anywhere near La Bahia with your detector..you will get busted for major bucks. Had a buddy that went to La Bahia on his way home from a hunt...his detector was on the floor board inside his truck. Him and his daughter went through the mission and when they came out there were 2 park rangers, one cop, and one game warden around his truck. Luckily he had no relics in his truck because they did search it. That area is called a "red" zone because there are relics on top of the ground...especially after a rain. Good luck in your search though...remember also that Fannins troops were captured near Fannin and were marched to Goliad then massacred right outside La Bahia. Santa Anna still sux in my book. Kieth

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Kieth-Tx said:
There are some areas around Goliad better than others. Most of the skirmishing being around La Bahia and the old trails coming from Victoria/Fannin and Refugio. You should have at least one good area on that much property. Just remember....DO NOT get anywhere near La Bahia with your detector..you will get busted for major bucks. Had a buddy that went to La Bahia on his way home from a hunt...his detector was on the floor board inside his truck. Him and his daughter went through the mission and when they came out there were 2 park rangers, one cop, and one game warden around his truck. Luckily he had no relics in his truck because they did search it. That area is called a "red" zone because there are relics on top of the ground...especially after a rain. Good luck in your search though...remember also that Fannins troops were captured near Fannin and were marched to Goliad then massacred right outside La Bahia. Santa Anna still sux in my book. Kieth

Hear, hear!!!

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Just think, fellas, if it hadn't been for the massacre at Goliad and the battle of the Alamo, Santa Anna and his generals, we, as Texans, wouldn't have the history that we do and, I might add, are so proud of...Because of those two events, the Texians were able to rally and become a great nation, first, and then a great state....

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right OldGoat....but it still pisses me off that Sam Houston didn't let his troops tear him apart when they captured him....or at least hang him by his huevos! :o

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
If you remember they did take his wooden leg so that he couldn't escape...

OP
OP
T

Third Wave

Aug 12, 2008
oldgoat said:
If you remember they did take his wooden leg so that he couldn't escape...

I love that story.

Problem is they let him go back to Mexico and he came back with a vengence.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
The good part about that part of the story,"he came back with a vengeance" is that when he came back we whipped his b*tt again and he had to give up AZ.,NM. and California....altho California might not have been such a good deal...lol

OP
OP
T

Third Wave

Aug 12, 2008
I mentioned this in another post, but ya'll should read Lone Star Navy. You don't know how close we were to not having a TX as we know it.

Some incredible things fell into place and a lot of luck got us here.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Keith you should have at lest one spot on the property that will produce, it might be in the thickest, thorniest, tickiest, brush, at least it usually turns out to be that way with me. I grew up around the Beeville area, in fact I still get up there a couple times a month.

oh yea the ticks and chiggers are back out again. My son came home last weekend from the ranch full of both. ewwwww, he had taken a friend with him last weekend, when they got home and my husband told the mom to check the boy for ticks she flipped out and was considering taking the boy to the emergency room.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Comeon y'all. Grab yer Ba**s (metaphorically speaking of course Dawn)!!! The chiggers and ticks are never to thick until you start to get pale from blood loss. By then you truly do need to go to the emergency room!!! :tongue3: ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread