a buried brass rod ,,,,marker???

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Some fols used to mark lengths or property coners with metal steacks. You never know. Might be a clue. I would check the whole diameter of the place including tress stones, ect. anything that some one could use as a focal piont. Good luck :thumbsup:

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
The US corp of enginers drives them in as markers also. I found one while detecting on SPI with my club.

OP
OP
S

sandroz

Nov 16, 2008
10-4 was probably a property marker alright if by an old fence line .was going to recheck the story but old man passed away !!such bad timing waited over 2 years to follow up

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
21stTNCav said:
The US corp of enginers drives them in as markers also. I found one while detecting on SPI with my club.

who would of thought out in the middle of a dang beach, and I still want to know how they anchored it there.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
;D I don't know how the corp anchored it Dawn, but I nearly got a hernia trying to pull that thing up. ;D

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sssssssssshhhhhhhhh your not suppose to pull those up!!!!! But I know that was before someone told us what it was :tongue3: that you tried. :D

But the person who told us what it was got his GPS and couldn't find that one marked, he said most of the survery markers can be located by GPS unless its really old and forgotten. You might try the GPS thing to see if anything turns up.

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is a story of a brass rod stuck in the ground to mark a treasure. It was put there by Jean Lafitte. But later in years it was pulled up by a ranch hand. His boss knew what it was, but the ranch hand could not find the original spot he pulled it from. Imagine that. This was close to Port Lavaca. Cliff

mrhinman

Dec 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
BH Quicksilver
Some USGS benchmarks are rods. Some folks who are into geocaching are into benchmark-finding, too. I've found a half a dozen or so in my area. There are probably dozens more in the county.

--
Matthew
Brownwood, TX

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread